Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

What age were you at first C/L flight.

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

What age were you at first C/L flight.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 02:36 PM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: What age were you at first C/L flight.

Did anybody start "old"? OK, as an adult?

I flew a bit in my early teens but dropped it after a while. My Blue Pants, built like a brick, was destroyed when moving house too
Old 01-19-2007, 02:48 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Summer vacation between 5th and 6th grade, so I was 11-12 in 1972
I found one of my older brothers Cox profile airplanes (w/o engine ) in the attic...yellow and blue...forget the name, but I still have it (think it's a TD-2 or TD-3 Trainer...something like that?)
I asked for a new Baby Bee .049 for my birthday that June. Mom got me one from Nichols dept. store for $3.95
Old 01-19-2007, 07:04 PM
Oldie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gremlin: I had several of those Firebabys also. The Wasp .049 was a great little engine. First few Firebaby's I flew had a balsa rudder but the last few had a stamped aluminum rudder.

Also had a Top Flite (?) Freshman and Sophomore with the old reliable Fox .35 and an O & R .29 for power .

I had never seen a model ariplane fly until I flew one. In my area there was no one to learn from.

Jumped to an L-4 (Piper Cub in military dress) and soloed on my 16th birthday in 1950. Government gave the L-4 to a local CAP unit and we had a surplus Link trainer in the school. Helped give me a great High School experience.

For all the years since, it has been RC Modeling that has held my interest and I guess it always will. I hope to log some more time.

Still have a 1949 Buzz engine, ignition, that cost me all of ten bucks. My entire stash at the time. A real cheapie, I ran it, didn't fly it.
Ran on a white gas oil mix.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:37 PM
choffman41
My Feedback: (1)

I must have been about 11 or so when someone gave me a Firebaby for my birthday. I had no one to help me learn, so I shortened the control lines to about 6 feet and just swung it around with the handle. I figured out how to make it go up and down pretty quickly, and finally got the nerve to try to fly. I made a holder for the plane with a string attached to my foot to yank a pin to release the plane. Worked good and I didn't even crash.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Rubbernecker
My Feedback: (22)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was in the middle 70's and I was around 12/13 yoa. It was a cox rivets. It would only fly. No wong overs or loops. Then it was a Goldberg Wizard and then a Lil Toot. The Lil Toot was up and down. Didn't know about CG. Then I moved on to Goldberg Buster with Fox 35. A friend showed me how to do figure 8's and I thought I was in heaven. Then the R/C bug hit. Have have now returned to doing some U/C. I have done some 1/2 a combat as well as general 1/2 a. They are a hoot. Too bad I started to fly powered parachutes. U/C and R/C have fallen to the wayside.

John
Old 02-11-2007, 10:02 PM
uliner
My Feedback: (2)

I was 11 or 12, but I had to do everything myself, including build get the motor started etc.

I have taught kids as younf as 5 to fly with no issue. Put a baloon up on a stick and have him go at it. There are some simple coloplast palnes that are real hard to break.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:55 AM
RRyan

I was 4-5 when Dad taught me to fly with an AJ Firebaby (the balsa one) sitting me on his shoulders and having my older brother launch.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:12 AM
Dan Vincent

I was eleven, in the sixth grade.

For several years I had been building stick and solid models so my father happened to see a Model Airplane News magazine and thought I'd like to see it.

Wow, I read that MAN a couple of hundred times and noticed they had actual engines and models could be flown under power. I told my older brother they made engines and he said "Sure, a lot of my friends have them."

I couldn't believe my brother knew about engines and never told me. He said his friend Ray had some so I hopped on my bicycle and rushed over to Ray's house. Ray was out in his front yard bending over something that sounded like an angry bumble-bee. Turned out to be an OK Cub .039. I watched as he refuelled and restarted the little bugger and we talked about engines. Ray was planning to put the Cub in a "Sniffer" FF model.

I was talking to my classmate Anthony and told him of my big discovery of engines and he said he had some. I asked him if he wanted to sell one and we quickly made a deal on a Wasp .049 for $4.00. I carried that Wasp around in my pocket for weeks, admiring it whenever I had the chance.

There was a local hardware store that had a few model airplane kits so I soon came home with an Enterprise "Super-Knockout." After giving it my best solid-model type finish, I mounted the little Wasp and picked up all the stuff needed to fly a C/L model. The Super-Knockout was a hollow log type model with solid balsa wings so it was quite heavy. I started the little Wasp and proceeded to turn in laps on the ground because it couldn't get into the air.

About that time I met another friend of my brother's who flew 1/2A FF in contests. I told him I had a Wasp .049 and he said he needed one for a model he was building. We discussed a trade and he came up with a new OK Cub .099. The Cub was quickly mounted in my Super-Knockout and actually got it into the air. It was still heavy but it did fly. I learned my first lesson, .049's are cute but an .09 can do the job. As I progressed my models became lighter but I had pretty much decided an .09 was as small as I wanted to go for C/L.

I then started to build .19, .29 and .35 models but always had an .09 powered model on hand.

My flying friends couldn't believe I could do anything their larger models could do.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:14 AM
Dan Vincent

Sorry, double post
Old 02-16-2007, 08:34 AM
Fuel Dinosaur

ORIGINAL: Shobosh

I have a 5 year old son. He has pretty good hand/eye co-ordination and I am keen to encourage him into C/L although his attention span is not all that it could be. He seems interested at this point.

At what age did you first pick up a C/L handle and have a go?

TIA

Shobosh
I was 8 years old when I started flying control line models. Progressed to larger planes after the 1/2 A stuff and then rat racing and C/L combat. Later, went into R/C and larger engines and planes. About age 10-12, the North Miami Hobby Shop owner taught me to fly my first large C/L model, a simple Guillows solid wing Trainer with the O&R .23 glow engine on it. At age 5, I would have my son watch, ask questions and just enjoy the flying going on and IF they asked to try flying themselves, then help them learn, or better yet, get someone ELSE to help them learn and support them in doing so. It can be frustrating at a younger age to fly and crash, and discourage further learning, but that is just my opinion and may or may not reflect the majority. Before the age of 8, I would ride my bike to wherever a model engine was cranked up and just developed a real love for the hobby and for all the very nice people I met along the way. I like to think that I am NOT in my second childhood, for I never grew out of my childhood with regard to flying model airplanes.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:50 PM
kruegz

My first plane was a Testors "Fly-Em" Zero, when I was 11. A friend's dad got it started for me - the noise scared the crap out of me! Tried to take off on the grass of my friend's lawn, but the grass was too long. So I gave up for about a year, then bought a Cox PT-19. Crashed that a few times but learned to fly on it. Then I finally flew the Zero. Then I got a Cox Corsair, which amazed me at how loud and powerful the engine was compared to my earlier planes. I did my first loops and wingovers on the Corsair. Then I got the following plastic planes: Cox P-40, Testors P-40, Cox Stuka, Testors biplane (Sopwith Camel?) and Cox ME-109. Then I built a Sterling Hellcat, some Goldberg flat-wing plane that I modified to look like a Wildcat, a Goldberg Li'l Jumpin' Bean, a 1/2A Nobler from M.A.N. plans and a Jr. Nobler with an OS .25. I ended up giving up the hobby in my Jr. year of high school - I think getting a drivers license and girlfriend had something to do with that.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:02 PM
COPO

I was 10 (1976) when I recieved my first kit, engine and all the goodies to build and fly. A Ringmaster Jr. with an Enya 15 III. I have my father to thank for getting me into this hobby. He used to fly when I was younger in our backyard with some neighbors. I was hooked from then on. Still remember the planes hanging in our spare room. He helped a real lot back in those days. We used to go up to my school and fly on the baseball diamond. Runway was between second and third base. Made for a perfect airstrip.

Cox planes were not allowed. I really wanted one but the ol' man said a built balsa plane was far superior.. and that was that.

We have been recently digging out all my 30 year old stuff from the attic. Unfinished Flite Streak, Winder. Completed Baby Flite Streak, Ringmaster S1A, 2- Voodoos, Jr.Satan, Banshee, Magician 15, Combat Kittens. Even the finished ones need work. Most of the paper has had it. Some warped and twisted pieces. The Magician we covered in silk and it still looks great!

I have a Magician 35, Twister, Baby Flite Streak ( ya I like them), and a Ringmaster Jr. all in NIB kit form. I am currently building the RingmasterJr. Oh this is bringing back some memories.... Nice.

As soon as the snow melts and the warmer weather is here, we will attempt a 1/2A flight. Can't wait.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:16 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the 1/2As, but anymore, after 3 or 4 flights on a warm sunny day, even with 42' lines, I get so sick and dizzy, I got to sit down for a while before I can pick things up. Don't have that problem with .099s and up, on 52' lines. I hope my 39 year old Veco Smoothie will still fly this year.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:12 PM
COPO

That is what i am afraid of also. I will be using 35 ft lines. I have been practicing making circles and things are spinning after I stop. Holding my arm out and following my hand. I have a feeling it won't be as bad with an object out further away.

I was also able to do wing overs and insde loops and inverted flight so that should also help mix it up.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

In the mid 60's I had some Cox and Wen Mac "Gas Planes" but not really many good flights but looking on Ebay I sure wish I had them now. Then in 1969 at the age of 12 I found an ad in Flying Models for the Sterling Beginers spitfire. I still have that magazine. If I didn't see that I possibly would not have a mortgage now but it has been a fun trip. I then went to Dave's Hobbies in Clinton, CT and out I walked with a kit, glue and a bottle or two of Aerogloss and sanding sealer. Built it while mowing lawns for the $4.95 I needed for the engine. When we got it finished and had the engine running it was off to some real flying. All the guys in the hood were into CL and we ended up with Baby Ringmasters and Baby Flite streaks and the Top Flite Junior Aces Cosmic wind mustang and Hawker hurricanes and we had a ball. We all flew all the time and were always trying to outdo each other in flying and finishing. Then one of the guys Tommy came out with a Baby Flite streak and he had taken a picture from one of his fathers Playboys and doped it on the wing with spray clear. He was the 20 pointer of his day (sorry Windy). I am sitting here remembering those days while the 22 year old daughter watches American Idol. Those really were the "Good Old Days". Saw two of those old Top Flite kits go for $50+ on ebay last week. Still have that Hurricane downstairs. If it didn't look so beat I post a picture. I'm hitting the big 50 soon so its been a fun 38 years. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Peace and good memories.

Mark O
Old 03-22-2007, 03:05 AM
build light

I may not be the Top flite kits but http://virginiahobbysport.com/index.htm stocks the Sterling spitfire kit for under 25 bucks...

Maybe time to try on a small basis? A lot cheaper than shopping on the bay for some kits.
As bad as you think it might be some of us would still like to see a pic of the hurricane!

Robert
Old 03-22-2007, 08:18 AM
50+AirYears

Standing up and spinning like I was flying a ukie REALLY gets me sick and dizzy. I need to be doing the real thing.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:41 AM
Dan Vincent

Just pretend you have longer lines.

Short lines will make you dizzy.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:00 AM
Southern Hemisphere

In about 1975 I attended a combat exhibition at the local oval (North Sydney oval where the Bears used to play for any Sydneysiders reading this). I was only 8 at the time but was hooked - especially as I was told it was called dogfighting and me telling everyone that I had been to the dog fights horrified my mother.
A few years later at the age of 12 I saw a control line kit in a model shop that captured my imagination. It was a balsa trainer (profile fuselage and plank wing) kit that came with a Cox .049 with the integrated fuel tank. The trouble was it cost $50 and I had zilch. I saw an opportunity in the trust fund my Grandfather had been compiling for me. It was up to $114 and I figured if I was smart enough I would be able to access the $50 I needed on the basis that I would soon earn it back winning competitions.
I was successful in getting the dough but needless to say I never got the money back as everyone knows control line doesn't pay - it costs! But it was the start of a hobby that lasted many years and taught me so much in terms of patience, sacrifice, aerodynamics, engines, woodwork, negotiation, meteorology and even controlling dizzyness. It also consolidated in me a life long love of aviation to the point where I now work for an airline and manage pilots and aircraft.
I don't fly anymore (due time) but am interested enough to log into the forum for a read and to feel really nostalgic looking at the photo's that are posted. I also watch some real control line flying every year or so when I am near some flying.
Before my kids were born I bought and stored a trainer. The oldest is nearly 6 but I think he is still a few years away from being ready. But I do look forward to day I can build it with him and teach him to fly.
Cheers
Todd C
Old 03-26-2007, 09:12 PM
CoxPilot

In 1959, after granduating High School, my best friend got me a job at Cox. He said to fib to the boss (Bill Seltzer), and say that I knew all about flying. My first flight was with a PT-19 at the Disneyland Flight Circle before the park opened, and I DID get a bit dizzy. After the flight (and I didn't dump it), Keith said that Walt Disney (and about 10 "assistants") were watching the flight. After that, I flew 40 hours a week until the placed closed in 1965.

I found out later that Walt had manufactured his own engine, and tryed to market it. Pre-Mouse days. Now THAT would be an engine to have. Walt love hobbys, and Cox was able to have the Circle in Tomorrowland for free, as long he he foot the bill for all other expenses.

Those were magical days.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:39 AM
Phlip

ORIGINAL: CoxPilot

In 1959, after granduating High School, my best friend got me a job at Cox. He said to fib to the boss (Bill Seltzer), and say that I knew all about flying. My first flight was with a PT-19 at the Disneyland Flight Circle before the park opened, and I DID get a bit dizzy. After the flight (and I didn't dump it), Keith said that Walt Disney (and about 10 "assistants") were watching the flight. After that, I flew 40 hours a week until the placed closed in 1965.

I found out later that Walt had manufactured his own engine, and tryed to market it. Pre-Mouse days. Now THAT would be an engine to have. Walt love hobbys, and Cox was able to have the Circle in Tomorrowland for free, as long he he foot the bill for all other expenses.

Those were magical days.
That's an incredible story! I'd have loved to see that. Not a good place to try new things, though, I suspect. They probably didn't care much for destroying the equipment in front of a group of potential customers.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:32 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

at 5 years old in '78 my dad bought me a cox mustang. we flew the crap out of it and the engine lived a long life in many of my creations made from balsa (when dad would bring some home) and styro meat trays (to this day my mother still saves them for me)

around a year later i got $30 for my birthday and mistakenly spent $10 of it on a testors biplane that flew like crap. even more dissapointing was the lame-o engine that didn't have any kind of mounting system i could use on my own creations...the other $20 went on a cox helicopter, the yellow one with the .020. wrote my name, phone number and address on it just like dad said but never got it back when the big nasty wind finally did catch it....probably still buried in the snow and slush in portland, oregon....

dave
Old 03-27-2007, 04:47 PM
50+AirYears

I bought one of the Testor's P-51s for my son. About the only .049 engine I ever had that consistently started on the first flip. But the engine developed so much power, you could leave it on a flat driveway and walk away from it without a tie-down or any other kind of restraint. Couldn't taxi the plane, even though the wheels were very free turning.

Fed the local landfill.

I am still sorry I was never able to get the engine on my Cox TD-1 started. I wonder how that aluminum winged wonder would do today with a Black Widow, or maybe a Norvell .049 or .061.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:52 PM
CoxPilot

When I worked for Cox, out at Disneyland, we used to rebuild the engines on a regular basis. We would test run them before re-mounting into the plane, and by just holding the tank in our hands. Most of the planes had a removable firewall with the engine on it, like the P-40. (It could be removed by unskrewing the side screw, spreading the body halves apart, and twist.) Sometimes, early in the morning before the Park opened, we would hold an engine with prop UP, and toss it into the air. That super-bee would climb to about 200 feet all on its own, and then come falling back. It would run out of fuel fast because the RPMs would double. Great Fun!
Old 03-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Phlip

My brother and I've done that with a rag attached to the back of the engine. Slows it down a touch, particularly useful during the freefall.

One of the coolest things he built for the Cox Babe Bee was a single bladed helicopter. I've no idea where he got the design, but it flew too well, OOS on the second or third flight. The engine pulled at a right angle to the blade, on a stick counterbalanced by the blade. Start it up and let it revolve on a screwdriver held overhead. Climbs slowly till it runs out of fuel, then autogyros back down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.