Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
 Stangel Skylark R/C for C/L flying (?) >

Stangel Skylark R/C for C/L flying (?)

Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Stangel Skylark R/C for C/L flying (?)

Old 03-04-2007, 11:24 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stangel Skylark R/C for C/L flying (?)

So, I have this Skylark 40 R/C from Lee Stangel that I've never flown as I don't live near a field. I'm thinking of converting it to C/L but haven't flown C/L for 40 years. Does this sound reasonable? It has a flat bottom wing. What about the ailerons, make them part of the wing or leave them off? http://www.stangel.com/skylark40-kit.html Thanks for any advice.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:34 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Stangel Skylark R/C for C/L flying (?)

Why not just try R.C? I've been at it for over six years, met some very interstering people. Spent a lot of money, HAD A LOT OF FUN.
john in missouri
Old 03-05-2007, 12:25 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

RC designs really don't lend themselves to control line flying. Not saying it can't be done (lots of CL scale builders convert RC scale kits) but the parameters are just... different.

I bought a Sig Something Extra a few years ago with the intent of converting it to CL but heard from some other enterprising CL fliers who did the same thing the results were rather disappointing. The most often converted RC kit I see in the CL circles is the Sig Fazer.

Top Flite took one of the most competitive CL designs ever (the Nobler) and produced an RC version of it but it never achieved the success of the control line version.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't sweat returning to CL.

Like riding a bicycle, once you've learned it, you'll never forget it.

What you DO forget is how wobbly you can be, at first, and how much more physical effort is involved.

Various CL events are welcoming many, many "returnees" who've done other things for a lot of years. CL is physical, direct, and - for so many of us - more gratifying than any other way of flying model aircraft.

Go for it, or try a more basic arrangement to get your legs back, first. Basic arrangements have not changed much over the years, and they still do their magic.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:17 PM
My Feedback: (7)

I converted lots of kits originally identified as "RC" and installed a bellcrank. My lastest conversion was the Hanger Nine Piper Cub (80" span) and I also have converted the Sig Seniorita to CL.

They flew great for CL...the only things I do to convert is as follows:

1) Adjustable line guide is a must......
2) 1 to 2 ounces of right tip wingtip weight
3) Bellcrank can be anywhere, it's the line guide that critical, did I say that an adjustable line guide is critical?
4) Fix the rudder to zero-zero, in fact I have a scratch built CL model without a rudder and it's flies just fine.

Have Fun.....if the plane is less than 20 lbs and the engine is smaller than 1.35 cubic inches it can be flown in CL competition. I converted a 1/4 scale Sig Morrisey Bravo to CL (18 lbs, .90 four stroke) and a friend converted the 1/3 scale Sig Spacewalker (19 lbs, electric power).