Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
 Enya .29 heads and venturis >

Enya .29 heads and venturis

Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Enya .29 heads and venturis

Old 10-31-2007, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enya .29 heads and venturis

My Enya .29 came with some extra higher compression heads and larger venturis. Now that its getting kinda broken in I'm wondering if these make any significant difference in power? Originally 30 years ago I set it up with the "mild" stuff for break in and it wasn't actually broken in to any appreciable degree in the interim. It never saw much running until recently, but it drags my Magician around in a pretty snappy manner. It doesn't feel like it would have been at any particular power disadvantage in a 1970's slow combat match going against 36X's. Its pretty impressive as is for a plain bearing loop scavenged .29
Old 10-31-2007, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Enya .29 heads and venturis

The 29's were different to the 35's because they were intended for competition work like Class B team racing. I have a chart of earlier Enyas and it lists the IV-B (plain bearing) at .8HP with a rev range of 9-18000 and the ball raced IV-B Special as .85HP with the same rev range. I'm just about certain these figures would only be reached with the high compression head and the largest venturi running with crankcase pressure because that's getting into Dooling 29 territory .

Here's an engine report on an early 29-IIIB
[link=http://www.the.elmores.btinternet.co.uk/engine_tests/cwdata/enya_29_3b_am0.html]Page 1[/link]
[link=http://www.the.elmores.btinternet.co.uk/engine_tests/cwdata/enya_29_3b_am1.html]Page 2[/link]
Old 11-01-2007, 03:35 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will probably find that it runs smoother and has better fuel draw with the low-compression head and the smallest venturi. That should be plenty for your Magician. Low nitro fuel and although the factory recommends 20% castor lube, some run 22%-25% with excellent results. Part synthetic should be OK since it has little time on it.

Guys have reported running them with the high compression head and getting higher vibration level. If you are not satisfied with the present setup, give it a try.

George

Edit: Here's my Enya .29
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61373.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	794880  
Old 11-23-2007, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this takes me back. When I was in Misawa Japan in the USAF, I bought 4 Enya 29-3 (5103) with the 4 bolt head for $4.00 Each, and 2 Max 35's for $6.00 each. The 35's were very good stunt engines, but the Enya 29's were quite a bit faster on the same airplane. I used to fly slow combat with my Enya 29's, I used the Veco "Tom-Tom" for my combat ships. They were light and turned well with flaps and only cost about $3 to $4. Good Quality Japanese silk was 25 cents a yard for white and 35 cents a yard for colored.

I found that you needed to keep a lot of castor oil in the fuel, I used Fox Fuel, and when I could not get it I would add 10% Baker AA Caster oil to the fuel. I still have all of the above engines. I did break a crank on one of my 29's when I tried flying with 25% nitro on pressure with the largest venturi in. About a year ago I found an old enya 29-3 on ebay that was missing the thrust washer, needle valve and prop nut, so I picked it up cheap and used the crank out of it to replace my broken crank. A couple of my 29's have hundreds of flights on them, and still put out a lot of power and start easy, though I need to give them a really good cleaning with the new cleaners, as they look "REALLY BAD". I have even used one of the 29's on a SAM Old timer Radio Assist, using 15% Nitro under pressure with a "Formost" mixture controller as a fuel shutoff operated by my throttle servo.

Ralph