Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
 Cox 049 Super Sport Cleaning >

Cox 049 Super Sport Cleaning

Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Cox 049 Super Sport Cleaning

Old 01-07-2008, 09:28 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox 049 Super Sport Cleaning

I came across a fairly nice Cox Super Sport. Anyone have suggestions for cleaning the plastic and polishing the canopy? I did some searching on the forums however I couldn't find much. I am afraid of damaging the plastic, especially the canopy. Are there web sites with forums that discuss the Cox C/L airplanes? Thanks! William
Old 01-07-2008, 10:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cox 049 Super Sport Cleaning

William, I can only speak for myself when I say that the best you can hope for is to clean her up best you can. The finish was molded in using super smooth molds. Plastic, being rather soft when it comes to using abrasives (polising compounds are full of fine abrasives) does not lend itself well to refinishing.

You could possibly use some super fine wet or dry sandpaper to try to even the surface, then wax it with something and see what happens. Or shoot it with whatever clear that won't eat the plastic instead.

Either way You will not be doing yourself any favors if this is to be for a serious collector. There are too many pristeen examples for this to be a good idea. If it is just for yourself, that would be a different story. Add to this that it will be a lot of tedious work that may not end up with acceptable results.

As many have said before, try this on scraps till you get good repeatable results or you may wind up with a real mess.

I see you are new here and i want to point out that there is a great Half A forum (R/C) you may want to check out.

Robert
Old 01-08-2008, 12:28 AM
My Feedback: (9)

Robert,

Thanks for the info. That is what I assumed. It is too nice to risk ruining. I think I will pack it up and find a nice home for it. I don't collect Cox.

I am not sure what you mean by new. While I have not posted frequently, I have been a member since March 2004. If you mean new to Nebraska, sort of. We moved here July 2006 however I was born and raised in the Sandhills. I left in 1973 when I started Naval Aviation Officer Candidate School in Pensacola, FL. It is good to finally be back. If you mean new to control line, I have been doing that, although infrequently, since 1961. I hope to do more Control Line now that I am retired.

I have been thinking about building and flying 1/2 A Texaco. Is that covered in 1/2 A RC?

William
Old 01-08-2008, 07:27 PM

By new, I was looking at the number of posts on the RCuniverse groups. Right now it shows only eleven posts.

Not familiar with any FF forum here but since it is Half A They will discuss it there. I dare say say you will get more feedback there than probably anywhere else and by some really good, down to earth and i might add quite knowledgeable gentlemen whose experiance runs from FF rubber and hand launched gliders to multi engine R/C and electrics. There are some which dabbled with Jetex and other type rockets on that forum group. I guess you could say most all aspects of modeling have been represented by the guys there. Oh1 and If you either play or build guitars, biuld or play with motorcycles or hot rods you will feel right at home. Machne shop stuff is regularly discussed.

If I say any more, then they will have nothing to say themselves!

Robert
Old 02-04-2008, 11:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Automotive supply stores sell kits for polishing the plastic covers of the headlights of contemporary cars. The process is wet sanding with fine (#400) and then super super fine (#2000) grit paper and then brushing on a coating of a water based resin product that will dry clear and hard. I've done this on several cars with very good results. The sanding is done unidirectionally and the resin then fills and covers the very fine scoring of the plastic with a clear topcoat.

Some variation of this could work on a clear canopy and the fuselage of a Cox plane. I'd start with much finer grit for the first sanding, though -- the plastic of the canopy obviously won't be as hard and tough as a headlight cover. I wonder if there is any chance of finding a piece of yellowed or foggyed transparent plastic of the same kind used by Cox to experiment on first?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:35 PM

I use Turtle Wax for hard plastics and the Cox RTF/CL series, buffed up my little Cessna very nicely. Test it on a small area first but I have never had a problem with it.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:38 PM

Typically the lens covers you speak of are made of Lexan and of much harder material than the plastic of the body parts or even the canopies of the Cox planes.

I have successfully used the simple Turtle Wax brand of polishing compound in smoothing the rough surface of an aged headlight lense on more than one car. This improved the ability for the light to pass thruogh the lense much like it was before it was pitted and marred, however it did nothing for the yellowing of age.
The Turtle Wax polishing compound is quite inexpensive at most auto parts stores.

Robert
Old 02-06-2008, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The product(s) and process I described removes the yellowed outer layer of the polycarbonate lens cover and puts a clean resin coating on restoring the transparency and light transmittance to like new quality.