Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
 Midwest Magician vs Original flight report >

Midwest Magician vs Original flight report

Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Midwest Magician vs Original flight report

Old 02-12-2008, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwest Magician vs Original flight report

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7023494/tm.htm]Flew the original I built from the Brodak plans a couple of days ago[/link].

My general impression was that the Midwest version (longer wingspan, slightly wider stab/elevator, longer nose) flies a bit better than the original. My Midwest kit 30 years ago had a fuselage made out of iron wood, so that helped balance out the effects of the longer nose and the C/G winds up within a comfortable range without adding any weight to the tail. The new Original balances about 1/2" behind the "hot" position on the Brodak plans without any weight in the tail and is still very stable. I used a Sig 3" nylon bellcrank with the pushrod on the inner hole and an ordinary large nylon R/C type control horn. With the pushrod on one hole in from the outermost hole it wound up with about 30 degrees of throw in each direction. On full deflection maneuvers, this was enough to stall it and make it wobble around corners. Next time out I'll move the pushrod to the outer hole on the horn.

The Brodak plan C/G range is VERY conservative. If anyone builds one of these and the C/G winds up just in front of the spar, don't bother adding weight in the tail - it will fly fine. With the C/G where I had it, the plane won't need a lot of deflection to turn well. Definitely go with the inner bellcrank holes and outer control horn holes.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:55 PM

Default RE: Midwest Magician vs Original flight report

Have you ever built a Magician with flaps? Back in the 60's guys in my area were convinced that was the hot set up. Some would move the horizontal stab rearward about 1/2 " or so to compensate for the increased maneuvreability the flaps gave. I built one with flaps but never flew it. I've never flown any CL plane with flaps.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:40 PM

I never built one with flaps. One of the guys in my club claims to have had one built that way. If I was going to do one with flaps, I'd want to beef up the T/E some to handle the added loads - maybe 2-1/2" at the root tapering down to the stock 1-1/2" towards the tips. I'd also use harder wood. Lengthening the tail moment sounds like a reasonable thing to do.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:15 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There was a discussion on one of the boards within the last year about with or without flaps and people who have built both seem to say that it flies just as well without them.

George
Old 02-20-2008, 12:54 AM

Well if it doesn't fly a whole lot better with flaps then the thing to do is keep it simple and save the little bit of extra weight. I still have an unstarted Magician kit that I bought back around 1967 or '68.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:40 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Black Arrow

Well if it doesn't fly a whole lot better with flaps then the thing to do is keep it simple and save the little bit of extra weight. I still have an unstarted Magician kit that I bought back around 1967 or '68.
In addition to saving a little weight you usually save a LOT of extra trim adjustment.

Look carefully at the plans and make sure you trace any parts that are not shown so you can replicate it if you want to build another.

George
Old 10-29-2008, 08:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had one Magician with flaps and one without. I converted the flapless one to moveable flaps and it had the stab moved aft about 1 inch.
These were stoxk Midwest kits with cloth hinges on stock trailing edges. I suppose they both had over 800 flights when they were retired. Both were wrecked several times, repaired and flown hundreds of more, so the beef up thing may be a Brodak peculiarity.
Chris...
Old 10-30-2008, 05:35 AM

I built mine with flaps. It was the only one I ever built, and only one I ever flew. So I don't know how the two setups compare. But at that time I was just beginning to see what tail volume did. I didn't understand everything about it, but that Magician showed me that I needed to get a handle on it and how CG affected things.

It was one of the first precision aerobatics models for me that got a ton of adjustments and testing. I always considered the sucker to have been the first real "school" model. It was cheap tuition for sure.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:21 AM

My first stunt airplane was a flapped Magician with Fox stunt 35. I learned the pattern with it and got second in Beginner (full pattern back then) at my first stunt contest in 1978.