Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

I got a great deal today.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got a great deal today.

Hello
Anybody know how this plane and DynaJet will fly?

FrankB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34564.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1053503   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66282.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1053504   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96296.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1053505  
Old 10-17-2008, 04:21 PM

Default RE: I got a great deal today.

Very fast (over 140k/h), very stable, and very very very loud. Last time I ran a dynajet I was about 19 and someone called the police reporting that there had been an explosion of some kind....
Bob Furr
Old 10-23-2008, 09:16 PM
My Feedback: (264)

Here is a video of a pulsejet powered plane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e-Ar7gb4tQ

Are you sure that you would want to try one in a C/L plane?
Old 10-23-2008, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In some countries it is (or has been ) illegal to fly a pulse jet model by RC. This was the case in Australia for a very long time but I know of at least one pulse jet RC model flown at a Jet Day so the law may have been changed here recently. With our dry climate we get a little concerned about bush fires following a crash. Pulse jets have been flown by CL ever since they first came out back in the 50's from memory. Some brave people have even tried CL stunt with them. Probably a huge figure 9 .
Old 12-14-2008, 04:03 AM

My dad had one for years. He flew it when I was a baby so I never saw it fly. Something about white gas, a hand tire pump and model T Ford ignition coil for ignition. He also had the exhaust tube chrome plated. The model still exists but it's at my ex wifes now. Let me know if and when you want to part with yours. I would never fly it, just hold on to it for nostalgic reasons. Oh, by the way he protected the fuselage with asbestos stuck on with some stuff acalled "water glass" what ever that is. My dad did say it was LOUD!

Bill
Old 12-15-2008, 06:27 PM

Every time we tried to fly one here in Tulsa, someone would call the Police. They would come and run us off.

In Mtn. Home, Ark. high school,some folks came by and were giving us a demonstration of science stuff and he brings out this dynajet.

He said that everyone would have to be really quiet as this engine was quite small. When he started that thing in our auditorium

with the entire school present, he almost had a riot. That thing was loud,and inside the auditorium even more so.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:59 PM
My Feedback: (7)

I saw a CL scale model of a F-86 flown with a pulse jet, it flew slower than a speed model but it was still extremely loud. The sound echoed off of the hillsides in Roseburg oregon at the NW regionals. Attend a CL speed contest at some point and watch CL jet speed and you can decide for your self.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:35 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: clscale-RCU
I saw a CL scale model of a F-86 flown with a pulse jet, it flew slower than a speed model but it was still extremely loud. The sound echoed off of the hillsides in Roseburg oregon at the NW regionals. Attend a CL speed contest at some point and watch CL jet speed and you can decide for your self.
I saw a scale F-86 also...back in the fifties. They started it with the typical hand pump and battery. When it quit and landed, the assistant quickly finished the cooling process by squirting a CO2 fire extinguisher inside. That's the only jet I ever saw in person.

Impressive! ... and, yes, loud!

George
Old 12-17-2008, 12:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is my dad's F-90 Scale Dyna-Jet C/L model. That is me holding it, a few years back. It is in it's navy shipping crate under my bench awaiting resto.
Chris...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81982.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1091263  
Old 12-17-2008, 04:17 AM

That's a beautiful aircraft. I would certainly restore it and hang it from the ceiling somewhere to show it off. Judging by your haircut I would say that the picture was taken around 1960.

Bill
Old 12-17-2008, 08:38 PM

I have the engine and mounting stuff, but it had an accident in '54 and burned up the nose. I need to make a new canopy, fix some wood and replank the nose and remount the solid lead test probe in the nose. It was painted by a Japanese painter in Japan near Dad's NAS Base in Atsugi (sp) in '53. I am loathe to repaint it as it's still pretty nice but it'd really look good in Flite Metal with accurate markings. The aft fuse is aluminum.

Close. Summer of '65 as there are a bunch of pics of my Mom's new MGB (Iris Blue, Navy leather with baby blue piping, painted wires, I still have it) with the kids all around it in the same clothes.

Chris...
Old 04-03-2013, 07:09 PM

I am placing my Dyna Jet, (Pulse Jet) on E Bay in a few days. I have never ran it but I am certainly impressed with some of the videos I have seen lately. Check out the twin Pulse Jet vid on this thread. wallace.tharp
Old 04-03-2013, 07:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

At the US Nat's last year there was a guy flying a jet that stunted quite well in the evening at the control line circle.  I was fairly impressed.  There was also Sport Jet class and the fast jet class in control line.  Yes they are pretty loud and fairly fast.  I have also seen an RC one go too.  There is no throttle on them. It is hard to find a field where no one complains as has been said.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:09 AM

I've seen a number of them fly. This area was very much into control line speed back in the day. There were a number of pylon circles around the state too.

Yes, you could hear them from miles and miles away.

I remember the flyers trying to get them in the air quickly after getting the suckers started. They claimed that running them stationary overheated them and was bad for them. The guy holding the thing probably wanted to get some distance away as well, so takeoffs were pretty quickly done after getting them to run. Don't know if that was a myth, but nobody held them for long. Another funny detail was they were supposed to be easy to hold. Never wanted to try holding one.

Starting them with the bicycle pumps made for what sounded like a series of explosions. I was at least 5 minutes from one flying site and could hear when they were flying. No Sunday flying for them for sure.

I also remember they weren't the fastest models either. And their sound wasn't the worst on the ears.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:20 PM

Airspeed & Rock, I would love to see one fly up close!!! Whe I was flying UAVs the Army and Marines would fire off a Stinger sholder launch, "Man Pad" about 60 to 80 feet from us and it was just deafening!!!. Our jumpiest pilot was just out of the Marines & had been in Kosovo where people shot at him. wallace.tharp
Old 04-09-2013, 12:37 AM

I used to fly one in a Panther Jet I built until it got to hot one day and it burned down.
Lucky it was still on the ground.
Loud and dangerous and loads of fun.
I have 1 now but I will never run it here in Alaska where I live with my luck it would get away and start a huge forest fire.
White gas bike tire pumps and a Model A ignition coil and nerves of steel or in my case when I was young I was Invincible lol
A great thing to have for show and tell but in todays world someone is bound to complain and then all the fun is gone.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:30 PM

AAAhhhhh, beautiful down town Tok Junction. I belonged to Midnight Sun R/C in Fairbanks for years. We use to hand launch an R/C airplane on one of the shortest days of the year, 3 hours & 45 minutes of sun above the horizon on Dec 21st, & send pictures to AMA and other magazines. Trick here was to start it in a van and already have it warm! We acted like we did it all the time a 50 below Zero F. We flew off ice ponds in FAI often, as the temps rose above about 25F. Snow-blow off a spot, you don't even need skies. Then again, we could as you know, fly all night with no need for lights, sun just goes barly below the horizon and comes back up again on June 21st ....Ahhhh, the days. Enjoy your R/C season coming up shortly! , Sold my Dfyan Jet on E-Bay. wallace.tharp
Old 04-10-2013, 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: franboe

Hello
Anybody know how this plane and DynaJet will fly?

FrankB
Memory serves correct, there is a guidance system for the V-1 or V-2 in the musem at Alamagordo, NM, near White Sands Missle Range. It looks like a giant coo-coo clock, got all these little gears running all this connected gysmos. History tells they got to England often, 9,521 fired in their direction. The V-1 had ploor target guidance but you can emagine how scarry the were with that screaming Pulse Jet. Guessing altitude was controlled by air pressure and heading off of a gyro that just generally kept the prior set heading. Quite the stuff for the time. Britt Spitts were known to fly up along side and just tap the wing of the V-1 and cause it to tumble out of control. Stall speed was to be very fast, 340 if memory serves correct. Must be kph. I believe there are pictures of this somewhere. After writing this, I googled it which took me to Wickipeddia, look at "V-1 Flying Bomb" for a wealth of really GREAT information of all aspecs of this amazing project. Sad part, 22,000 plus civilian casulties. The Germans had a lot of really cutting edge stuff for the 40s! wallace.tharp