Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

sig primary force

Old 11-16-2008, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sig primary force

hey guys,
took my p. force out for it`s first flight this morning. 3/4 of the first round the lead out broke[:@]. you know the rest of the story!! it broke at the crimp at the bellcrank. the loop & the crimp are still on the bellcrank. i cant see how sig wouldn`t replace it as the had to be a defect in materials and/or craftmanship. i`m going to call the lhs where i bought it & see what they say. it flew w/ a la 40 & 60` lines. what do you guys think about this??
conk
Old 11-16-2008, 04:17 PM

Default RE: sig primary force

Bummer! I would think the only thing they could stand on would be if they recommend a pull test, assuming you didn't do one before flying. I'd like to know what they say. Keep us posted.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:18 PM

phlip,
i hooked the handle to the leadouts & pulled. i didn`t pull TOO hard because i didn`t want to pull the bellcrank out. i thought i pulled harder than the plane would in flight? thanks for your reply.
conk

Old 11-17-2008, 06:49 AM

For a real pull test, you use a spring scale to read out the amount of force. (Don't get me wrong, I'm no expert. But I've seen it done at combat meets, and since none of the resident C/L experts are replying, I figured I'd say something)!

Phil
Old 11-17-2008, 11:45 AM

I've got an ARF Smoothie to assemble one of these days. Replacing the shoddy crimped leadouts is one of the first things on my list of glaring bogosities to correct.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:19 PM

i have a scale that i weigh my planes with but i have no idea how much pull i should exert??
like i said i pulled pretty hard but i wasn`t sure how well the bellcrank was mounted.
i talked with bob at sig & he said they would stand behind it . he said it was the first time that had happened on that plane. i feared the worst & got the best.
conk
Old 11-17-2008, 09:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear it, Conk.

I bought one for my son and he has flown it about 50 flights with 3 crashes. Pretty hard ones too. The model has stood up pretty well. He flew it in two contests and it was pull tested to 35 pounds which I think is the rule up to and includng a 40.

When you get the new one flying, I think you'll like it. ARF's in C/L aren't the strongest or best models out there, but they do the job and this one seems very good overall. Weak points are fuselage material where the landing gear is mounted, but everything in the box was used except I replaced the screws with socket head 4 40's which fit the nuts and blind nuts fine.

Have fun,
Chris...
Old 11-17-2008, 11:05 PM

The engine bearers on the Brodak's aren't maple either. Some sort of less dense mahogany'ish looking stuff. Not sure how I'm going to deal with that, but I know I'm unhappy about it. Maybe they can be very carefully dremel'ed out and have proper maple mounts fitted, or epoxy laminated with some 1/32 titanium sheet so the spinner alignment doesn't get too whacked...
Old 11-19-2008, 12:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Plank...

Until New Year's Day the recommended pull value for a .19 cu in engine powered CL model is 15 lbs, according to the AMA CL Rules. (CL Precision Aerobatics values are recommended where the model will not necessarily be used in a contest, or is not of a specific contest-rules type with another spec spelled out.)

Lines should be 0.012 diameter for two braided cables.

As of the start of 2009, the above rules are changed to 10 times model weight, and the 0.012 lines are good for models up to 40 oz. (The new rules adopt the weight-based standards used through 2008 for electric CL Precision Aerobatics models for glow -or spark or diesel - engines as well.)

Full AMA Competition Regulations can be reviewed at www.modelaircraft.org/
Old 11-19-2008, 07:18 PM

thank you very much lou! that is gonna be some handy info.so under the new rules my 40 oz plane should be tested at 25 lbs of pull? { 40x10=400 divided by 16 = 25lbs.} for some reason that seems like alot to me but better safe than sorry. when my line broke the plane landed 10 feet from my buddy who released it. i bet he`ll release the next one and then run like hell!!
thanks again lou,
conk
Old 11-20-2008, 07:00 AM

You gotta remember that the lines have to bear not only the weight of the plane, or it's inertia as it circles, but also the thrust of the engine and, when the lines go slack and the plane cuts across the circle, nearly missing your head, the sudden jerk at the end.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:10 PM

good point phlip. lol