RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Control Lines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/control-lines-231/)
-   -   Keil Kraft Phantom Plan (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/control-lines-231/2371456-keil-kraft-phantom-plan.html)

vauxhall 11-24-2004 05:43 AM

Keil Kraft Phantom Plan

1 Attachment(s)
Hi to everyone, I'm new to this forum, usually post on 1/2A site. Does anyone out there have a plan for the Keil Kraft Phantom that I could get a look at? I last built one about 45 years ago, and would like to build another one now. I've read that they're still used in a team race class in U.K. and a few other parts of the world, but as far as I know the kits are no longer available. If some kind soul could PM a drawing I could scale up or something, I'd be very grateful. Neither photo is of my plane, I came across 'em on the web.

telmore 11-24-2004 06:46 AM

RE: Keil Kraft Phantom Plan

Lookee here too:

http://www.the.elmores.btinternet.co.uk/telmore.html

Tony

vauxhall 11-25-2004 06:57 AM

Hi Telmore, thanks for your help and what a great site for plans, but I couldn't find a Phantom. I'd call that number but international calls cost lots of money, do you know if theres an email address?

telmore 11-25-2004 08:14 AM

No my plans are mag plans only - I'll add Phil's email address when I get home from work.

Tony

telmore 11-25-2004 05:55 PM

[email protected]

vauxhall 11-25-2004 08:02 PM

Couldn't get that link to work, maybe I'll draw a plan from memory and those couple of pics I found. Whatever happened to Keil Kraft anyway? They were pretty big in the kit business. Perhaps I'll build another Nobler, got a plan for one of those.

telmore 11-26-2004 03:37 AM

If you try again and get rid of everything before and including the > sign it should work - I didn't ask for that the board seems to have added it!

His email is definitely :
philhansson
@
hotmail.com

Tony

telmore 11-26-2004 06:45 AM

I don't really like posting links to other forums as it seems rude but this is a UK based one and you'll have better luck with a plan - I know Phil looks there:

http://www.controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

Also you could try:

http://dkd.net/discus/messages/1/1.html?1082882478

and Aussie forum

Tony

vauxhall 11-27-2004 06:10 AM

Telmore, I followed your suggestion and got through to Phil O.K. Sorry I didn't message you yesterday, but I've been busy with other stuff. He can supply the plan, it never ceases to amaze me how aeromodellers from all over the world co-operate with each other. I'll post some flight pics when I get hold of the plan and get this little gem built. I've been back to your site again, I gotta spend more time building control line planes. Thank you very much for taking the time to help.

Norman625 11-28-2004 11:42 AM

WOW That takes me back ........... My first ever model was the Phantom Mite, followed (after getting a bigger engine) by the Phantom. Unfortunately at the tender age of about 8 at the time I never did manage to fly them LOL ........ first flight was the KK Scepter (all too big I`m afraid with flaps and all that), however I did manage a full circle before I needed the plastic bag :-)

Norman

Jim Thomerson 11-28-2004 07:08 PM

I've seen photos in Aeromodeller of a free flight Phantom made of 1/32 sheet and CO2 powered. Said to fly well. I understand that Phantom racing with 1.5 cc plain bearing diesels on 35 ft lines is fairly popular. Again, a couple of how-to articles in Aeromodeller.

Jim

vauxhall 11-28-2004 11:43 PM

Hi Norman and Jim, yeah its amazing how some designs are timeless, I think the Phantom came out in the early fifties and more than 50 years later is still sought after and as you say, even used for a team racing class. I see Nexus have a 36" r/c version plan available as well. I guess all this means that the original design was a goodun. My first Phantom was built in the early sixties, and I think every kid in my street few it from time to time. It was fairly crash proof as well as easy to fly.

NZ Scythe 11-30-2004 07:48 PM

I have the Phantom Plans drawn up in AutoCAD 2000, I can save then in either PDF or TIF or whatever you want? Let me know and I will email them to you.

I have two of these 90% built - I just have to finish cover and paint them! PAW 1.5 as power.

Cheers

vauxhall 12-12-2004 02:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, as you can see I've been chopping balsa, my thanks to NZ Scythe and Phil Hansson in the UK for helping out with plans. I've only got to make a fuel tank and fit a canopy for "Biggles" and I can have some fun. For an all sheet trainer, I was amazed how long it took to put this thing together. I've built multi channel r/c planes in less time. Maybe I'm a bit of of a perfectionist these days, and theres lots of sanding involved. I'll post some in flight pics when the big day arrives.

NZ Scythe 12-12-2004 03:11 AM

Good stuff, I'll bet it flies great!

paulrobinson 12-16-2004 08:38 AM

NZ Scythe,
Could you send me the c/l Phantom plan in pdf format
I'd be very greatful.I fancy a bit of Phantom racing the coming year:D.
My email is: pjakr
@
tiscali.co.uk
Thanks very much.

paulrobinson 12-20-2004 12:06 PM

NZ Scythe,
Thanks very much for the plans.:D
Paul.

vauxhall 12-21-2004 04:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I finally had the chance to test fly the Phantom this evening after dinner. Pretty fast on the 35' lines they're raced on. Had great fun, flew like a bird. My son tried to get a pic for the forum, but the light was getting bad. Only got one flight as the prop got loose and we didn't have a decent spanner with us. I'll mix some diesel fuel and fly again over the Christmas break.

NZ Scythe 01-13-2006 05:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I never said I was a fast builder... but believe it or not I finally finished my two Keil Kraft Phantoms! only took two years!

I haven't flown them yet, I have to get me some old fashioned Diesel Fuel - I haven't flown Control Line for years!!

Here's a couple of pics

vauxhall 01-13-2006 07:31 AM

You've done a great job on them NZ S, they look terrific. Diesel fuel is almost impossible to buy here in Aust., I mix my own. Its hard to believe mine was built a year ago, still in one piece and flying well. They look like PAW engines. If you haven't flown C/L for a while you may get a case of the dizzies on 35' lines. They're pretty fast. Let us know how your test flights go....John

NZ Scythe 01-13-2006 05:49 PM

Thanks John,

I'd fly them today but (as usual) it is blowing a howling gale here in Christchurch so It might have to wait till this evening or tomorrow.
I've got a couple of sets of old 1/2a combat lines which I think are about 15m in length, I'll test fly with them so I don't get so dizzy!

Yes, they are PAW diesels (1.5cc) great little engines - I lost one of the prop nuts and what a mission it has been trying to find a replacement, nobody stocks BA threads in this country!

I'm going to mix up my own fuel also, I have a guy who is selling a litre of Ether and some castor oil... that smell is going to bring back memories!

vauxhall 01-14-2006 12:14 AM

Good luck with it all. The prop. nuts are 1 BA. If you are having probs. I could send you one..........John

NZ Scythe 01-14-2006 03:23 AM

Thanks John, I'll keep that in mind if I have no luck finding a nut.

NZ Scythe 02-14-2006 04:31 AM

Well I found a prop nut... In the end I emailed P.A.W in England and theye were kind enough to post a couple all the way to New Zealand - Free of Charge! Thanks P.A.W!

Anyway, I managed to track down some Ether and I mixed up a fresh batch of diesel fuel. The next day it was time for the test flight(s)
The weather was perfect, nice and hot - no wind (most unusual for Christchurch!) After a few flicks of the prop... well after many flicks because it has been so long since I started a diesel! I got little yellow number 2 model running. A bit of tuning and it was sounding good.
I got a friend to hold it while I quickly ran out to the handel, a quick "up - down" check and it was all go. Number 2 was launched and round it went... I was flying on 15m lines I used to fly 1/2A Combat with so it wasn't too fast, however by the end of the 10cc tank I was kind of glad I wasn't flying on shorter lines. Ahh yes that did bring back memories (mostly it was the smell of diesel fuel that brought back the memories!)
The model landed like a piece of cake and it was pleasure to fly. I had a couple more flights and then took the red model for a few laps.
I haven't had a chance to fly the two of them together at once just yet but that day will come, there are not a lot of people around who still fly control line these days and I don't want to give the handel to someone who is likely to smash the model.

All and all I was happy with my little Phantoms. They look good, fly great and remind me of the good old days of when I first got into aeromodelling.

If anyone else would like the plans I would be happy to email them a copy. Also - if anybody has got pics of their Phantoms they have started building from my plans, be sure to post them on here so we can all see them.

Happy Flying!

vauxhall 02-14-2006 06:28 AM

Fantastic NZ S, I wondered how things went. I always enjoy a story with a happy happy ending. Thanks for your report.........John
PS Where did you get the streamlined wheels, is someone selling over there?