RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Control Lines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/control-lines-231/)
-   -   Flaps on a Flite Streak? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/control-lines-231/3433205-flaps-flite-streak.html)

Bruce Bennett 10-07-2005 07:19 PM

Flaps on a Flite Streak?

1 Attachment(s)
Just wondering, Anybody ever consider putting flaps on a full size Flite Streak?
I flew a ARF version today with a OS LA-40 for power turning a 10/6 prop.
It's been 30 years since Iv'e gone around in circles but I thought that Flite Streak
should be turning tighter loops then it did. Flaps would help! Any thoughts?

Bruce Bennett

rw Guinn 10-07-2005 07:56 PM

RE: Flaps on a Flite Streak?

I always did it, back in the 70's. Works well.

dasflugmodele 10-08-2005 10:00 PM

Flite Streak with flaps? of course. They help the turning radius and in my opinion greatly improve its overall flite characteristics. Jan Rummery has plans available for his new version of this old favorite. Much larger wingspan, better construction methods and different airfoil. Jan has many plans available for vintage stunt.
Put the flaps on it you should be happy with the improvement.
Das

up or down, right or left, whatever flies the best;)

uliner 10-10-2005 08:04 AM

Flight streaks turn tightly as is. With the short tail moments I don't thinks flaps would help all that much.

An OLS 40LA? That is a lot of engine and a heavy one at that. Sounds like it is nose heavy. I have used .25's on mine. Some have used hot .15's (norvel's) with good effect.

Check the balance point, and make sure it lines up with the instructions. If it dosen't' turn like you like, move the balance point back till it does.

Only do this in small increments.

For my tastes, I balance it just ahead of the spar.

Dave

kdheath 10-10-2005 08:30 AM

It's nose heavy with the 40. We use various combos-LA 25s, FP 20s, Fox 25s.- and they fly great. Put the 40 in a Pathfinder or a Twister or some such if you want a flapped stunter.

On the other hand, a FS with a Fox Combat Special or 36X is pretty interesting.....

gcb 10-10-2005 10:02 AM

ORIGINAL: dasflugmodele
... Jan Rummery has plans available for his new version of this old favorite. Much larger wingspan, better construction methods and different airfoil. Jan has many plans available for vintage stunt...
What makes it a Flite Streak, tail shape? ;)

George

PipeMajor 10-10-2005 07:54 PM

I've built and flown numerous Flite Streaks - including a Combat Streak w/flaps. What I've found on the Flite Streak platform is they don't really help. The FS was designed as a high performance model without flaps. Furthermore, a model with flaps is also more difficult to trim correctly.

You don't need flaps to make a model turn tighter. You use flaps to keep it from stalling when turning. Witness pure combat models. They all turn very tightly but none have flaps.

Additionally, I believe your .40 is way too much motor for the FS. My son and I are flying a FS ARF with no flaps and powered by an OS FP 20. We can fly it on 60' lines with no problem whatsoever. With 5 or 10% nitro fuel and a 9-4 prop, the FP 20 hauls our ARF-FS around at 5.1 second laps - plunty fast. Another disadvantage of your .40 it will make the model way nose heavy. Nose heavy planes don't turn well. To balance the heavier ending you'll have to compensate with tail weight. Heavier nose + heavier tail = poorly performing model.

Bruce Bennett 10-10-2005 08:53 PM

Well, thanks for all the advice. First thing I'm going to do is try it with
a Fox 36. We'll see if there is any difference that way first and go from there.

Bruce

Jim Thomerson 10-11-2005 09:46 AM

If your CG is forward of about halfway between the spar and the leading edge, you might try adding a bit of tail weight. It sounds like your airplane is way noseheavy.

Bruce Bennett 10-11-2005 12:12 PM

Just checked it again out of curiosity and it's about 1/2" forward of the spar.
That should be okay.

Bruce

jehold66203 10-22-2005 08:59 AM

I can still remember when the Flite Streak came on the market. We put the hottest combat engine on them that we had. Not room for a big enough tank. Also they would maneuver like crazy. Also what balance point, we just built them and flew them until a mid air or terra ferma got them. DOC Holliday

Old Sourdough 10-23-2005 01:47 AM

Bruce,

The Flite Streak's designer, GMA himself, highly recommended not making the flaps on the model movable. The typical stunt flap does add lift, but it also has a tendency to add a bit of nose down action at the same time. Due to the relatively short tail moment arm, making the flaps operable on the Flite streak at least requires setting the elevator to a 2:1 ratio to the flaps. It may work OK, but I'd try adding tail weight first to see if that solves your problem.

Additionally (I haven't inspected the Flite Streak ARF carefully), I would ask if you remembered to add a push rod support about halfway between the bellcrank and elevator horn. The instructions may not call for that item, but if the push rod is the typical threaded rod with clevis or even 3/32" music wire, it may be bowing heavily under flight loads. If you don't have that support, I would suggest adding one, especially with that heavy engine, before trying anything else.

Just another 2ยข worth.

Paul

Old Sourdough 10-23-2005 02:23 AM

Bruce,

Oops. Had I looked at the picture you attached, I would have noticed a push rod support and could have skipped my last item above. Sorry.

Paul

gcb 10-24-2005 07:04 AM

ORIGINAL: jehold66203

I can still remember when the Flite Streak came on the market. We put the hottest combat engine on them that we had. Not room for a big enough tank. Also they would maneuver like crazy. Also what balance point, we just built them and flew them until a mid air or terra ferma got them. DOC Holliday
DOC,

I was into .15-.19's at the time and remember pondering in my LHS over whether I should buy the Flite Streak Jr. at $1.95 or go for the (replacement) Ringmaster Jr. at $1.50 that I came in for...Sigh!
A couple of friends suggested the FS Jr. because they had built the full-size one and loved it. I went with the FS Jr.

George

Bruce Bennett 10-24-2005 01:57 PM

Thanks anyway for the info Paul. I haven't had a chance to try the Fox 36 yet
as I'm a solo C/L flyer at this point W/O a stooge! The model does have a
push rod support as you noticed all though the elevator is a little stiff due to
it being a fiber hinge. Assuming they get looser with age. anyway, I'll keep
you informed as to the F/S's fate. Thanks Again,

Bruce

kdheath 10-24-2005 07:17 PM

the elevator is a little stiff due to
it being a fiber hinge. Assuming they get looser with age. anyway,
You won't find many CL flyers using the CA hinges, Bruce. They are stiff, as you noted, and can create some problems when you need to move the surface near its limits. The hinges, combined with the heavy 40 can easily explain the FS's reluctance to turn well. It's best to have the freest possible hinges, either Monokote or pinned, and a really stiff pushrod. Most of us are replacing the pretty light pushrods that come with the ARFs. At least the 4-40 size threaded pushrod or CF.

sbd-5 10-25-2005 11:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
well about 33 years ago i was toying with the idea of a twin engine flite streak using a 19 and 15 size engine for slow combat fiquering i would have 17-20 inches of prop area to cut the streamer.here is a photo of the prototype in 1/2a scrth built from scraps.note the flaps.one thing the flaps made the manuvers quicker but it also slowed me down in the climps.flaps have been used on the fullsize but back then i preferred to use flitestreaks for slow combat.

straitnickel 06-29-2017 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce Bennett (Post 3443149)
Well, thanks for all the advice. First thing I'm going to do is try it with
a Fox 36. We'll see if there is any difference that way first and go from there.

Bruce

there is going to be a difference a fox 35 weighs about half of a os 40 la with a muffler

paw080 08-18-2017 03:20 PM

Hi Bruce, flaps on a Flite Streak will cause the model to turn wider than sans flaps. Yes, the Streak

will turn much tighter without flaps. I suggest you move the CG back in small increments until

your model gets twitchy; then move the CG fwd about 1/8". Flaps help a model turn smoother

because of the opposing pitching forces produced by the flap versus the elevator. Good luck,

Tony

Lou Crane 08-26-2017 01:03 AM

Flaps on popular profiles

Not only George Aldrich, re: Flite Streak, but Jim Silhavy, author of the Magician, who got "rather annoyed" when he saw one with flaps added. Word is he spoke sharply to such modelers when he encountered them.

I've flown Magicians both ways, and found that for sharp and lively corners, he's right! For more precise "stunt" work, the slowing (slight!) caused by flaps helps a consistent flight pattern ..

BTW, did a Magician, Jr.(w/o flaps) in the early 70's on an old-style Fox 15. With 52.5' lines, an 8-4, and wound up to a steady-two setting, it was a delight! No great pull, but no loss of response in any attitude or altitude either. Built light, but strong enough to subdue any vibrations, it's a gem. That was down near sea level; it's a bit different up here near ~5000', but not that much.

There are other .15-size variants of their .35/.40-size originals that may be as good or even nicer... Fuel economy. Smaller space needed. Less loudness to deal with. Less fatiguing on the muscles. Better fit in smaller cars....

..Just sayin' .

Avaiojet 08-27-2017 03:28 AM

I built a Flite Streak with flaps and a shortened tail. I believe I was 15? The early 60's
I never could build a model without changing something.

Thing turned on a dime. See if I can find a photo.

C

Avaiojet 02-25-2019 08:22 PM

I found the photo.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...c35364fb35.jpg

Mark Bliss 03-28-2019 05:32 PM

Ha! There's some memories!
I built and flew Flite Streaks in the 60's's.
Silk and dope, Super Tigre combat 35's on about 15% nitro. Rockets with so much snap it demanded all your attention!
Bunch of fun.

Avaiojet 03-29-2019 04:17 AM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...5ffcd1c05c.jpg
Here's my FS of today. Hasn't flown yet because it's for sale. If it doesn't sell, I'll fly it when I get to TN in a few weeks.

Yes, you gotta love another FS modeler.

Charles