Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Four Star 60 dies on maiden day.

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Four Star 60 dies on maiden day.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:29 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Four Star 60 dies on maiden day.

I have a Senior Kadet that is in bare bones needing a recover job. I am thinking about making it my test mule as suggested above. This just sounds like such a good idea. Test any new Rx or battery in the test mule and see if it works properly. If the radio blanks out, being a Kadet Senior it might just float back to the ground!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Wine Country Flyer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my thought-listening to the video you can hear the engine get louder before the engine slows down. And the muffler was gone when you got there. I think the muffler came off dropping the fuel pressure, so the engine almost quit. Which slowed the plane down. 'Then the engine got a little more fuel and picked up again. This happened a couple times. Also you were in a turn. In the mean time you lost flying speed it stalled and went into a death dive. You gave it full up elevator to pull out of the death dive which increased the stall and in she went. Whadayathink ??? In the past I have been theredone that exact same thing.
John
Old 08-08-2011, 08:20 PM
Kmot

That's a good theory John! But honestly, I don't think so.

You are 100% correct about the muffler back coming off and the engine stumbling because of fuel pressure loss. It did this just as I was starting the knife edge. I have zoomed in and scanned my raw video frame by frame and have actually got the muffler tumbling off on video. It is only about three frames of image. Anyway, the engine picked up after it stumbled, and it actually had good power again. I was flying at pretty much normal speed as I made the turn around to the runway, and at that point the engine revved up and down a couple times (which I still don't understand why, failsafe maybe?) and the nose started going down. I started applying elevator, but not full up until I saw I was getting no reaction at all to my control inputs.

I think you have a really good point John. However, during one of my three flights I made a very slow pass along the runway, and this plane was able to fly level at a very slow airspeed. So I dunno about the stalling theory. But, I like it. It's the best theory so far!!
Old 08-08-2011, 10:30 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kmot you got the crash part down but we need to work on your rebuild skills.

You have a replacement in the works now?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:33 AM
Kmot

Replacement fuselage kit for the Four Star? No, not yet.