Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Crashed in water

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Crashed in water

Old 04-26-2013, 05:27 PM
Lowflyer281

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crashed in water

Last year I was flying my Cessna 182 4 stroke over the water when one the battery's in my TX came loose which resulted in a crash into the river. Now a year later I am trying to bring the engine back to life with no success. I have checked the glow plug but I cannot get this plane to fire. Does anyone have any suggestions on bringing this engine back to life for this years flying season?
Old 04-26-2013, 05:31 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Crashed in water

Only thing to do is completely disassemble the engine and clean it out. You will most likely need new bearings. Oil it up and put it back together with a new glow plug and give it a whirl.

Frank
Old 04-26-2013, 06:34 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True. If you didn't start, and run the engine after you got it out of the water and subsequently oiled it up , chances are good the bearings are rusted Especially if it's a Saito !
Old 04-27-2013, 04:22 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Another thing to look at (after checking the above) would be valves. I'm thinking that they are rusted in place. Frank is right, disassemble the engine. Take the head off and see if the valves move. If so, you may have a fighting chance of saving the engine.

If the engine wasn't run out as Brian suggested, it may just be a giant chunk of rust inside. There is only one way to find out for sure. Personally, I'd give it a go. I'm betting that this engine can be brought back from the dead, but not just by filling it with fuel and trying to get it to fire. You may be doing more damage to it if the valves are rusted/stuck.

Just my $.02

Bob
Old 04-27-2013, 04:49 AM
flyinwalenda

You have nothing to loose so try the crock pot method. Get a crock pot from a thrift store(couple dollars) and get some antifreeze. Pour antifreeze into the pot a little more than halfway and fill it the rest of the way with water. Remove the carb and rubber "O" rings and set them aside. Remove the backplate , valve covers, glow plug and muffler and remove any gaskets. Turn the pot on low. Put the engine into the pot along with the metal parts and muffler (but not the carb) and make sure everything is covered with antifreeze. Let it cook for 8 hours and remove the engine and slowly rotate it a turn or two and put it back in and let it go another 8 hours. Then you can remove the parts and clean them up a bit with a brass brush or tooth brush. Oil the engine parts and reassemble it and oil it up again.
You may get lucky and get a few runs out of it before having to change out the bearings.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:45 AM
N1EDM

Hi Brian,

I've never heard of adding water to the anti-freeze in the crock pot. I always use mine straight. Have you tried it both ways? What was your opinion of the difference??

Bob
Old 04-27-2013, 04:28 PM
flyinwalenda

Hi Bob,
Yes I did. It seems to make more steam with some water(1/4-1/3) added. You can tell the water "boils" off as the level goes down in the pot. Not sure which way is the best but I have been adding water when I "cook" an engine.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:14 PM
N1EDM

Hi Brian,

I'll give that a try the next time that I do an engine. Thanks for the tip,

Bob