Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Removal of CA (crazy glue)

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Removal of CA (crazy glue)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 12:27 PM
SushiHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removal of CA (crazy glue)

Yesterday ran into a bit of a jam with my current build. Some CA (crazy glue) ran down one of the aileron linkages and went into the brass tube that the linkage runs through. Now the linkage binds up a little when being moved. So is there a way to remove the CA from the assembly? I am planning to remove the effected aileron linkage from the wing and then attempt to remove the CA that seeped in between the linkage and the brass sleeve. Two ways I've been thinking of doing this is to heat up the linkage under a flame like gas kitchen stove, or, soak the entire linkage in some type of solvent that will free up the CA.

Does anyone know what would work best?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2014, 02:39 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can get it off the plane, Acetone works well. It takes a while so just soak it. I keep a jar on my building bench for ca bottle tips. When the tip starts to plug up I toss it in the acetone jar and pull a clean one out.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:15 AM
zeroback

Good tip
Old 03-03-2014, 07:54 PM
jetmaven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah , don't use ca anywhere near a linkage that it could run into .
Old 03-04-2014, 08:05 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CA "debonder" will do the trick! It is available from your local hobby store in the "glue section", and also available from many craft stores such as Hobby Lobby (the craft store chain). Again it will be with their CA glues. Tower Hobbies also sells it. It is also great for cleaning up those "opps" drops that seem to get on the covering when you're installing CA hinges.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:01 AM
bikerbc

I don't think you will need need too remove it from the plane.. If you have some debonder it should wick into the tube like the CA did. Put a little in from each end and then plug the ends with some putty temporarily a leave it soak for a day or so then remove the putty plugs and blow it out with some air and wick a drip of sewing machiene oil down the tube and see if that works .. You might get away lucky .There might not be much ca in there if its not stuck solid . As others have said if you have it off the plane already soak it in either debonder or acetone .. I have never tried heat but if you heat the brass tube you will soften it quite a bit . Heating a brass tube is what you do when you want to make it bendable