Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Is it rebuildable >

Is it rebuildable

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Is it rebuildable

Old 10-28-2014, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it rebuildable

This crash was due to inexperience , high winds , low altitude and too far out. It used to be a Tower Hobbies 60 Trainer. I now have my first crash under my belt .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1133
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	2042759   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	2042760  
Old 10-28-2014, 10:35 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You must be kidding!
Old 10-28-2014, 10:47 AM

Lol yes
Old 10-28-2014, 11:00 AM

Wow. Was there an explosive device inside the plane, or did all that damage occur on impact?!

As for rebuilding, I hope you are darn good with 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzles.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:29 AM

No there was not an explosive device. I lost sight of the plane behind some trees. It must have nosed in at full throttle. I salvaged the receiver pack and wheels only. I shouldn't have tried to fly with 20 mph winds. Also I let the plane get too far away and not enough altitude to recover from a bad maneuver . I bought it used so I didn't have much money or any build hours in it. I believe when you don't have time or money in a plane , you tend to do stupid things like flying in strong winds.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:53 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

duct tape, drywall screws and a lot of love wow never seen that bad
Old 10-29-2014, 07:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Around my area you either learn to fly in high winds or you rarely fly, but yea stick a fork in it she's done.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:54 AM

I'd be concerned about that receiver after a crash like that - there may be some internal damage...
Old 10-30-2014, 06:17 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I would move to another town and change my name after a crash like that...!
Old 11-03-2014, 01:00 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As my father used to say when we crashed bad, your model just need a little polishing!.

Best Regards.

Jesus Cardin
Old 11-03-2014, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by combatpigg
I would move to another town and change my name after a crash like that...!
That made me chuckle !!!!! Good one !!

Al least he can laugh at this. I remember my first crash, thought it was the end of the world and I would never fly again.

L8Cruiser: Welcome to the fraternity. All planes have a expiration date......We just try to push it back further !!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2014, 11:19 PM

There once was a control line combat pilot who accidentally let go of the handle of his 100 mph plane in front of dozens of spectators at a contest in Texas. The control handle of these planes is attached to 60 foot long steel cables that control an elevator flap. The plane did consecutive climbing loops as the wind carried it away from the field.
In this part of Texas, you can see for miles and miles in any direction. The plane eventually found high voltage [11800 or so] lines and dragged the steel control cables across them, phase to phase. This set off a pole mounted transformer explosion and witnesses claimed they could see lights going out in the distant towns for miles and miles.
At this point in time, I'll bet the pilot thought about hopping on the next train out of there and doing a name change as well.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:46 AM
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bs edit.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	2045006  

Last edited by scale only 4 me; 11-05-2014 at 03:50 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by combatpigg
There once was a control line combat pilot who accidentally let go of the handle of his 100 mph plane in front of dozens of spectators at a contest in Texas. The control handle of these planes is attached to 60 foot long steel cables that control an elevator flap. The plane did consecutive climbing loops as the wind carried it away from the field.
In this part of Texas, you can see for miles and miles in any direction. The plane eventually found high voltage [11800 or so] lines and dragged the steel control cables across them, phase to phase. This set off a pole mounted transformer explosion and witnesses claimed they could see lights going out in the distant towns for miles and miles.
At this point in time, I'll bet the pilot thought about hopping on the next train out of there and doing a name change as well.
I hope he was insured! I am sure he had a difficult time explaining that one to his provider.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:01 PM

I want an explanation of how a .015 size wire can conduct enough electricity to short a transformer without vaporizing,,,,
Old 11-05-2014, 02:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
I want an explanation of how a .015 size wire can conduct enough electricity to short a transformer without vaporizing,,,,
Couldn't happen as those high voltage trransformers have breakers designed with a time delay long enough to clear such debri, your absolutely right.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:59 PM

This happened at an AMA contest and was reported by Model Aviation in the neighborhood of 20 years or so ago. This was the "last straw" before using control handle lanyards became mandatory. I'll see if I can source the report about this incident.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:51 PM

I've put the word out at a C/L Forum.
I think the guy who would know for sure is Rich Lopez who has written the C/L Combat column for the past 25 years if not more.

"COMBAT CARNAGE IN TEXAS...?"

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="class: dclite"][/TD]
[TD="class: dclite, width: 100%"]Howdy partners.
If I remember correctly there was a fairly spectacular "fly away" that happened at a contest somewhere in Texas approximately 20 years ago where the pilot lost grip of the handle.
The plane drifted into power lines and if I remember this story correctly a local power outage was part of the aftermath.
I also seem to remember this episode as the "Final Straw" to make safety lanyards mandatory.
I wonder if anyone here can fill in the blanks about what happened that day..? I have some "Doubters" who say that the control lines could not have caused a power outage, but for some reason I remember that detail as being part of this story.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

#5. "RE: COMBAT CARNAGE IN TEXAS...?"

In response to Reply # 4

[TR]
[TD="class: dclite, width: 100%"]There was a flyaway at a Baton Rouge La contest 20+ yrs ago by Michael Wilcox that shut down a section of the city. If it wasn't for Richard Stubblefield intervening the cops had Mike in the police car ready to take him off. They convinced them that it wasn't a deliberate act but just an accident.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TR]
[TD="class: dclite, width: 100%"]Perhaps what is being recollected here is the combat plane that got away at the 1987 Nationals in Lincoln, Nebraska. Yes, plane, lines and handle went into local power lines and I saw a power pole transformer light up like a small nuclear explosion. Safety thongs for combat flying followed shortly after. Flyaway shutoffs came somewhat later. ZZ[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Last edited by combatpigg; 11-05-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:20 PM

#6. "RE: COMBAT CARNAGE IN TEXAS...?"
In response to Reply # 5
Thu Nov-06-14 06:18 AM by KING OF THE TDs
[TR]
[TD="class: dclite"]
[/TD]
[TD="class: dclite, width: 100%"]Frank..I think this could be the FUBAR that I have simply missremembered.
Texans WERE involved, so at least I got that part of the story correct.
I am still holding on to slim hope that someone else will chime in with some C/L Combat History that is closer to what I've been rambling on about.
What you've described is pretty much "spot on" as far as what the punch line is to this story if the plane caused a good sized power outage.

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 11-06-2014, 12:34 PM

More testimony from combat flyers who have first hand knowledge of the fly aways that have caused "impossible" power outages....

#7. "RE: COMBAT CARNAGE IN TEXAS...?"
In response to Reply # 0

[TR]
[TD="class: dclite, width: 100%"]If I recall correctly, it was Lincoln, Nebraska, where this incident occurred. A similar flyaway and brown out took place at a combat contest in Rockford, Illinois, but with a lot less in the way of national visibility. 'Gotta say that it was really loud when the arc went between the power lines![/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

#8. "RE: COMBAT CARNAGE IN TEXAS...?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Nov-06-14 12:38 PM by
[TR]
[TD="class: dclite, width: 100%"]The incident you are "remembering" did NOT occur in Texas, but DID involve a Texas flyer.

It was Neil Rose (now aka "Sparky" ) flying at the combat site at the Lincoln NATs. His handle was jerked from his hand, the model flew across the field dragging the handle and lines behind. When the lines hit the power lines, the model made a wrap around the electric lines, they shorted together and the closest transformer blew. And then the next one down the line. And then the next one, (Not sure how many went.) Was quite spectacular.

Yes, it took out the power to a large set of offices on the air base there, including the local police (highway patrol?) office.

The incident in Baton Rouge that Frank Williams mentioned happened a short time later and the collection resulted in the emergency AMA rule for combat to require wrist straps.

PS: The shut-off rule was not involved with these incidents, just the wrist strap.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

#9. "RE: COMBAT CARNAGE IN TEXAS...?"
In response to Reply # 8

[TR]
[TD="class: dclite, width: 100%"]I regret having missed these flyaways, especially the one with Richard and Emo. I believe the Lincoln Sparky was Heath. I forgot his first name: he was always Sparky after that.

Two other humorous incidents involving lines over power lines were in London approx. 2002 and Dayton approx. 1973. I missed those, too, doggone it.

Shutoffs have taken a lot of the fun out of combat.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

0. "RE: COMBAT CARNAGE IN TEXAS...?"
In response to Reply # 9

[TR]
[/TD]
[TD="class: dclite, width: 100%"]Thanks so much for all of your testimony guys. I knew that the gigantic fraternity of C/L Combat Historians here at Stuka would come through in the clutch.
Like Howard said, these safety devices have put a damper on the number of the most "fun" moments in this sport. I was made a believer after watching a loose plane disappear into the side window of a passenger car.
The guys who doubt that .018" lines can conduct a fault current long enough to cause these calamities will just need to accept what witnesses from all over the USA have seen happen.
Too bad there isn't a video compilation of Combat Bloopers like this available.

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Last edited by combatpigg; 11-06-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:12 PM

I wont attempt to explain how it is possible except my guess that with really high voltages the power handling capability of .018" cable is good enough to defeat the over current devices' calibration.
The guy who submitted the story about the chain reaction of transformers popping is recalling the EXACT story that I was struggling to remember all the details about.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:54 PM

Well, guys on the internet say it's true,, so done deal, I'm convinced,, Maybe those guys can track down Bigfoot's location too.

yeah,, think about it, tiny wire vs. extreme voltage, I bet you couldn't pop a 20 amp breaker in you house with that wire,, nice try
Old 11-06-2014, 05:32 PM

Well, guys on the internet say it's true,, so done deal, I'm convinced,, Maybe those guys can track down Bigfoot's location too.

yeah,, think about it, tiny wire vs. extreme voltage, I bet you couldn't pop a 20 amp breaker in you house with that wire,, nice try
Why don't you introduce yourself to Rich Lopez [the Combat Columnist for AMA Magazine] and the rest of the gang [MACA members] who attended and ran these AMA National Contests and tell them that what they saw never happened because you said so..?
You really are too much.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:37 PM

#11. "RE: COMBAT CARNAGE IN TEXAS...?"
In response to Reply # 10

[TR]
[TD="class: dclite, width: 100%"]A TD 09 powered airplane flew into local power lines. Both flying lines were burned in two and the airplane crashed without damage. Transformer blew sounding like a shotgun. No damage to airplane or pilot. Airplane had a wooden bellcrank which may have saved one or both. Loss of power was reported by an uninvolved person, and power was soon restored.

#12. "RE: COMBAT CARNAGE IN TEXAS...?"
In response to Reply # 11

[TR]

[/TD]
[TD="class: dclite, width: 100%"]I'm surprised by these stories where a couple of .015" stainless cables across 22000 volts would smoke a transformer! I've also seen fly-away planes hitting high voltage lines. Yes, a big flash. But the lines fuse open and the current spike is not long enough to damage a pole transformer.
AMA 796
SAM 188
LSF 020

13. "RE: COMBAT CARNAGE IN TEXAS...?"
In response to Reply # 12

[TR]
[TD="class: dclite, width: 100%"]Dr. Spark,

As it was explained to me the lines themselves conducted
the initial current flow. Then there was an ionization of the
air which continued to conduct the current until the brown out
shut down part of Rockford. It happened very, very quickly!

Curiously enough, the lines, albeit, shortened and cut
in half, dropped to the ground with the handle and the airplane
attached.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Best regards,

Richard
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Those who already know it all have nothing left that they can learn, but I'll post this for the benefit of other "doubters" as the facts about these incidents continue to stream in.

Last edited by combatpigg; 11-06-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:02 AM

[TR]
[TD="width: 100%"][TABLE="class: dcbordernew, width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="class: dcdark, bgcolor: #EEEEEE, colspan: 2"][TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="class: dcdark, width: 100%"]KING OF THE TDs[/TD]
[TD="class: dcdark, align: right"]Fri Nov-07-14 02:11 AM[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: dcdark, width: 100%"]Member since Jan 23rd 2010
12 posts[/TD]
[TD="class: dcdark, align: right"] [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: dclite, colspan: 2"]#14. "RE: COMBAT CARNAGE IN TEXAS...?"
In response to Reply # 13

[TR]
[TD="class: dclite, width: 100%"]That really is amazing to think that once initiated, ionized air can provide enough of a current path to boil the oil and overheat the windings inside a transformer to the point of explosion. The fault current must be just below whatever the over current device is set at...?
It's even more amazing to consider the set of conditions that were necessary to get a string of transformers to pop sequentially.
The engineers who are lucky enough to work at the GE and UL testing labs get to have all the fun.

[TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: dcdark, width: 100%"]DPMCENTHUSIAST[/TD]
[TD="class: dcdark, align: right"]Fri Nov-07-14 07:55 AM[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: dcdark, width: 100%"]Member since Aug 23rd 2004
1274 posts[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: dclite, colspan: 2"]#15. "RE: COMBAT CARNAGE IN TEXAS...?"
In response to Reply # 14

[TR]

[/TD]
[TD="class: dclite, width: 100%"]Doesn't video exist of the incident at Lincoln, Nebraska? I seem to remember some one saying years ago that they had seen someone's home movies of it. I think a combat model got loose at Buder Park and got into the high voltage transmission lines on the other side of the railroad tracks years ago and I think it caused a significant power outage. Again I'm going on a memory of someone else talking about it.
Type at you later,

[TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: dcdark, width: 100%"]5357 posts[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: dclite, colspan: 2"]#16. "RE: COMBAT CARNAGE IN TEXAS...?"
In response to Reply # 15

[TR]
[TD="class: dclite, width: 100%"]I saw the Lincoln video. One kid, when seeing a transformer explode, said, "AW RIGHT".

H R
Bellevue, WA

[TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: dcdark, width: 100%"]jehold66203[/TD]
[TD="class: dcdark, align: right"]Fri Nov-07-14 03:30 PM[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: dcdark, width: 100%"]Member since Sep 15th 2004
3557 posts[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: dclite, colspan: 2"]#17. "RE: COMBAT CARNAGE IN TEXAS...?"
In response to Reply # 15

[TR]
[TD="class: dclite, width: 100%"]Yes years ago a plane got away at Buder Park. The gentleman was flying his NATS winning carrier plane. I was there and launched the plane for him. He was still standing in the center of the circle holding just the handle when the explosion happened. All three lines broke at the line clips of the handle on about the third lap of high speed. He thought the plane had exploded because of the hi nitro fuel. When we got over the berm we could see the plane sitting on the ground. Only the line clips were left on the plane, no lines as I guess they discenegrated. The plane was going to be put away because of all the stress cracks in it. Wish I could remember the year as it has been many years ago. It did shut down the industrial part along the highway.

I too was in Lincoln when the combat plane got away. I also think in Chickopee Mass., another combat plane got to the power lines and transformer where we were standing and visiting. Amazing how lines can explode or cause and explsiong like that.
DOC Holliday[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

WOW..! I never did expect to hear about so many control line related power outages. Word travels fast among the 500 or so MACA Newsletter subscribers in the USA but I've only been involved with that sport since 1985, so some of the stories about mishaps were already "ancient history" by the time I heard about them. Bear in mind that there were 1000's of C/L flyers back then, so back then chances of these sort of mishaps were much higher.
The OP of this thread showed what happens when you crash into pavement and it reminded me of what a few Christmas mornings looked like at the local school yard looked like in the 1960s when kids would try to fly those RTF control line planes for the first time.
The only guy I ever saw "ACE" his first C/L flight was my Dad who was a P-47 pilot during WWII.
In our neighborhood the only aeromodeling activity I ever saw was on Christmas mornings.
C/L crashes over pavement usually don't have the same force as what you see with the OP's disintegrated remains, but it's still always a good idea to bring a Hefty Trash Bag along just in case.

Last edited by combatpigg; 11-07-2014 at 10:20 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.