Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Restoring a Chip Hyde Double Vision after 5 years of storage >

Restoring a Chip Hyde Double Vision after 5 years of storage

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Restoring a Chip Hyde Double Vision after 5 years of storage

Old 02-11-2015, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restoring a Chip Hyde Double Vision after 5 years of storage

Hello everyone,

I have a Chip Hyde Double Vision I'd love to get in the air again. Unfortunately it has been stored for the past 5-6 years in an unheated/unairconditioned garage in Ohio. The fuel system and batteries are gone of course, but the covering still looks amazingly good.

As I started cleaning it up though I've started becoming very concerned about the integrity of the glue joints. All 3 tail surfaces will need to be rehinged as they pulled loose in my hands. Formers in the canopy where balsa meets ply have also failed. I've found a few other places where glue joints between dissimilar woods have failed. The plane feels solid, but I'm concerned that the first time I toss it into a high G move that things will just fail.

So, I'm looking for some opinions on what to do. Do I rehinge the tail, put in new batteries, receiver, and fuel system and go fly, or do I take the time to strip the covering, redo the glue joints and recover. I wasn't wanting that long of a project, but I also don't want to lose the plane. Thoughts?

-David