Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Help repairing Sig Something extra wing leading edge damage

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Help repairing Sig Something extra wing leading edge damage

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 06:38 PM
parsons256

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help repairing Sig Something extra wing leading edge damage

Hi
I am just getting back in to RC and built a Sig something extra ARF this summer. Long story short I stupidly hit it off the door while trying to get it back into my apartment, and put a hole in the leading edge of my wing. I was hoping someone on here could give me some pointers on how to repair the damage if they don’t mind.

I don't really have any building experience and am not sure the best way to go about repairing the damage. I uploaded some pictures, there is no damage to the wing spars just the balsa at the leading edge. I am wondering If i should just try to glue the piece back in place or remove covering further and replace all the balsa sheeting between two wing spars. If possible I would like to get away without performing more surgery, but i would also like to fix it correctly.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0317.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	2117680   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0318.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	2117681  
Old 09-01-2015, 02:19 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

IMHO, Just patch the LE, you'll be fine.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:56 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, scam a scrap piece of 1/16" balsa sheet and a small piece of covering off a friend at the club. Square off the edges of the opening to make them relatively straight and neat (putting tape around the break to mark the outer edges that you want and then cutting along the tape works well). Then remove the tape and any covering to expose about 1" of balsa all around the neatened opening. Glue some 1/2" strips of balsa to the inside of the top and bottom of the opening with the grain running front to back, half inside and half protruding into the opening and around the curved sides with the grain running left to right. This gives you a platform to then glue in a single piece of 1/16" balsa to match (for the most part) the opening. Wetting the outside of the balsa with water or windex first helps the balsa to follow the curve of the leading edge without cracking. I would use wood glue to glue this piece in (CA is fine and faster for the strips you glued to the inside of the break) and tightly tape the edges down until dry. Use some blue painters tape to protect the existing covering around the opening, apply some wood putty. Sand when dry. I usually sand right on top of the tape. When the tape starts to fray you know you've sanded far enough. You may have to repeat the putty/sanding 2 or 3 times to get a nice smooth curve that matches the rest of the wing. Then remove the tape, and do a light final sanding to get the patch down to the same level as the rest of the balsa. Iron on a piece of scrap covering and you're done.

Last edited by RBACONS; 09-02-2015 at 04:49 AM.