Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Giant P-51 Mustang destroyed on take off

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Giant P-51 Mustang destroyed on take off

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 05:55 AM
DominicM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Giant P-51 Mustang destroyed on take off

A very expensive electric conversion destroyed within seconds of take off. Even the most experienced pilots make small mistakes which can have disastrous consequences.

Last edited by DominicM; 05-20-2019 at 06:01 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:49 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

May not have been pilot error. I noticed one gear went up but the other one didn't. That could have drug the power level quite low to where the receiver just couldn't control the servos properly.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:54 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a typical tip stall to me, and pilot error.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:30 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
May not have been pilot error. I noticed one gear went up but the other one didn't. That could have drug the power level quite low to where the receiver just couldn't control the servos properly.
The gear never retracted, not sure what you saw but the doors open on that model before the gear retract.

Hard to say for sure without knowing the pilot background but he took off too early, dumped lift in a near stall with full speed flap servos, and it snapped over.

If I had to guess I'd say someone was spending too much time developing bad habits by yanking foamies around and tried to fly a heavy, built-up warbird that way and it bit him in the toosh.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:28 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
The gear never retracted, not sure what you saw but the doors open on that model before the gear retract.

Hard to say for sure without knowing the pilot background but he took off too early, dumped lift in a near stall with full speed flap servos, and it snapped over.

If I had to guess I'd say someone was spending too much time developing bad habits by yanking foamies around and tried to fly a heavy, built-up warbird that way and it bit him in the toosh.

Yes Sir. Simply tried to yank it around too hard while going too slow. Excessive elevator throw could have been a contributor as well.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:01 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

+1 Accelerated stall.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:46 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Yeah, Low on power, minimum airspeed, clearly under powered, turned himself down wind right into a stall,, that's both builder and pilot error
Old 05-28-2019, 04:37 PM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My money is on pilot dis-orientation. Everything was shaky but relatively well until the plane started in the direction of the pilot. At that point he should have leveled the wings but instead put in left aileron which accelerated the spiral. Will never know for sure but to me personally it was clearly pilot error.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:45 PM
speedracerntrixie

One big hint is the amount of up elevator you can see while it's on the way down.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:17 AM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Been there. Done that. It took me a long time to adjust to flying to me. Once I started moving the stick towards the lower wing, I got the hang of it. This pilot need help
Old 05-30-2019, 07:32 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

More money than brains?
Lack of training?
Lack of understanding?
Lack of adult supervision?

A more common event than many will admit and thanks to available technology, a far too easy event to replicate pretty much anywhere.

Last edited by Robby; 06-25-2019 at 09:57 AM. Reason: possible profanity
Old 06-06-2019, 08:21 AM
speedracerntrixie

For as long as I have been in the hobby there have always been guys flying airplanes beyond their skill level, now we have the internet where guys can comment and attempt to advise beyond their skill level. Of course over inflated egos at play in both circumstances. The thing that really needs to be taught better is airplane set up and trimming. What I saw in the video is an airplane with adverse yaw, too much control throw and maybe too nose heavy. That combination when flown too slowly always ends the same way. Had the airplane been set up better the pilot may have had sufficient skill to keep out of trouble.
The following users liked this post:
critx (07-18-2021)
Old 06-07-2019, 01:39 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

^^^^^^^^^ Like that answer

David
The following users liked this post:
mrbee (03-13-2022)
Old 06-07-2019, 02:04 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

I always comment beyond my skill level
Old 06-08-2019, 06:39 AM
speedracerntrixie

I always comment beyond my skill level

Ah yes Andy but the difference is that you and I can admit that no matter how long we have been doing something we remain open to learning more. Unlike some guys who " know everything " because they have read a few books and once built a Sig Kadet. Some even go so far as refuse to learn or accept information because they don't like where the information is coming from.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:47 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Remember the good ole days when after you dumb thumbed one in you could yell out" I got hit ! "

David
Old 06-08-2019, 10:31 AM
speedracerntrixie

Nope, I have NEVER crashed...........LOL
Old 06-10-2019, 05:17 AM
scale only 4 me

Originally Posted by daveopam
Remember the good ole days when after you dumb thumbed one in you could yell out" I got hit ! "

David
LOL,, you trying to say there are guys is this hobby not able to admit when they're wrong or ever make mistakes?
Old 06-10-2019, 05:18 AM
scale only 4 me

Originally Posted by Appowner
More money than brains?
Lack of training?
Lack of understanding?
Lack of adult supervision?

A more common event than many will admit and thanks to available technology, a far too easy event to replicate pretty much anywhere.
The expression I use is,,, "some people have more Dollars than Sense"

Last edited by Robby; 06-25-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:26 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by daveopam

David
In the 27, 53, and 72 MHz days, “ I got hit!!! I got hit!!!”
Old 06-11-2019, 06:34 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I also heard ,,,,, "I ain't got it !" ..... quite a few times...

You know the crazy thing is if you have any first hand knowledge of a "INFAMOUS " rc crash on video.. and you try to figure it out ... some people will never listen ... they just accuse the pilot of error. A buddy of mine had a Triple engine Italian bomber (Cant Z) crash... It went viral for awhile.. The kit was awful.. everyone that flew it crashed it..until people started figuring out all the problems with the kit.. even then it flew poorly. But everyone was ready to blame the pilot. I think my friend was the first one in the air for that kit.. The abuse he took online almost ended his flying...
Old 06-15-2019, 03:01 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan

In the 27, 53, and 72 MHz days, “ I got hit!!! I got hit!!!”
If you think 2.4 is immune to interference (which is what a hit is).....................

Almost 60 years flying on 72 and I have never been hit hard enough to cause a crash. But I have seen a lot of brown outs on 2.4 systems. Some of which cause crashes. Part of flying is also knowing the radio environment you're flying in. I dare say, most do not!
Old 06-17-2019, 07:37 PM
Vortrog

Thats pretty bad disorientation if that was the case
Old 06-20-2019, 08:26 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Vortrog
Thats pretty bad disorientation if that was the case

I doubt that was the case here. If you look closely the airplane actually snap/stalled twice. Once that took it into the spiral from horizontal flight and again just before impact. Just a poorly set up airplane that was flown too slow. The pilot was also holding a bunch of up elevator the entire time which just kept the airplane in a deep stall and caused the second snap.

Radio interference is something many guys should understand a bit better. I have seen installs that sent a chill down my spine. One case even had an antenna taped to an ESC. Interference and brown outs are not the same thing. A brown out is caused by a dip in voltage going into the receiver. More common with Spektrum as their critical voltage on the RX is about 4.5V. I strongly suggest running 6V batteries on any brand of 2.4GHZ systems. You should also always have enough capacity so that under high loads the voltage will not dip more the a couple tenths of a Volt. Unless you carry a Spectrum Analizer with you to the flying feild it is almost impossible to know what RF is in the area. Common sense would dictate that the more Urban your environment the higher your noise floor will be. Range checks are very useful. I always range check prior to a maiden flight, after replacing any electrical component in the airplane and when flying at a new site even if the airplane has been glitch free for hundreds of flights at the home field.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:25 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Now that was straight up pilot error. I think Barracuda Nailed it.

I've flown many a Mustang and knew at take off and climb out it was over if he tried to turn, especially that sharp.

And.......
WHY DOES EVERYONE PUT 2 BLADES ON THOSE.... SMDH

Last edited by BarracudaHockey; 06-25-2019 at 05:11 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.