Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Lost elevator..

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Lost elevator..

Old 05-05-2002, 03:16 AM
bdrannik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost elevator..

Did a few tight loops, leveled out and flew about 50 feet before losing the elevator.. Went down thru a pine tree and shredded to bits, fluttering down into a 60 foot circle..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	10180_3916.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	7026  
Old 05-05-2002, 04:21 AM
FlyinRazorback
My Feedback: (8)

Default Lost elevator..

Whoa! Now that's the most colorful pile of kindeling I've seen. Sorry about your plane, but there are plenty more out there. I have learned in this forum to watch out for those trees. They tend to move around and have arms that reach out and grab planes.
Old 05-05-2002, 07:12 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lost elevator

Before one can fly a brand new or repaired plane at my field it must first be inspected by a "field marshal".
This inspection has saved alot of grief, saved a bunch of planes, engines and radio's and has aloud us to keep our field.

I only mention this because I assume the trainer was new.
Old 05-05-2002, 07:52 AM
bdrannik

Default Lost elevator..

Hello Carlos,

It had about 15 flights on it.. It was a Hobbistar 60 semi-symetrical with a Saito FA-100. This was the first time attempting to see what the planes limits were after some modifications.. (Removed most of the dihedral, set control throws to physical max limits of the hinge, etc) It was using the factory glued CA hinges.. I should have re-glued them out of the box, as I've now been informed that some other Hobbistar 60 ARF's in our club have lost the elevators previously... Picture below shows the debris area and the pine trees it came down thru..

Name:	10216_3916.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	7027  
Old 05-05-2002, 08:17 AM
bdrannik

Default Lost elevator..

Not much left of that APC 13x9. Attempted a last minute knife edge recovery (landing would have been fun to watch) and didn't cut the power fast enough when it failed.. If it had worked, imagine the story at the club meeting... "After losing the elevator, he knife edged back to the runway, and then rolled over to a 3-point landing.." Had to try it..

Name:	10218_3916.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	7028  
Old 05-05-2002, 08:21 AM
bdrannik

Default Lost elevator..

This may have affected the CA hinges also.. It was 22'F when we arrived at the field, 19'F when we left.. It was the first week or so in March in northern Minnesota.. Notice the first picture with the snow in the background and friend of mine with hands in coat pockets.. (Saito sure pulled in the cold, best vertical yet..)

Name:	10219_3916.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	7029  
Old 05-05-2002, 12:01 PM
Flying Scotsman

Default Crashed Engines

Sorry to read about the crash! What state is the engine in, can it be used again?
Old 05-05-2002, 01:07 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Default Lost elevator..

first thing to do when your elevator falls off is dont panic. theres two ways you can sometimes get out of it, i've done one, a friend did the other.
i was aero towing and the glider pilot didnt relase propperly and didnt do as i said which was to stop all control and let it hang, i'll drag us back, no, he thrashed about, took my tail off. my planes going crazy now the glider rope broke, but i saw it bunt.. then i had hope, if it can climb, it can fly... i had read an articl that morhing talking about planes with throttle and rudder only, so i flipped it on its back and throttled back... it stalled, then flew at a high AoA but compleatly under control. the tail was hanging off the back by the clevis and flapping about uslessly held down partly by the rudder on top.
i flew it all the way back to the patch and lowered throttle over the patch for a gentel inverted hover landing.
Oh yer, this was at a flying display, crowd thought it was part of the show lol
So, if you lose it, the engine has down thrust which you can do same as me, or use the throttle to control the AoA upright. this wont work if you just loose control of your elevator unless its in a lucky posistion....

Next is when the whole lot comes away. the weight is taken from the tail, your CofG gos forward and your trimmed for a flying wing, if you have flaps you can dial, like i do, use them. if not try the throttle again to get it level
this happened to my friend, he had no flaps, but it was perfectly trimmed for a shallow dive, he powered back and didnt try to turn, it just came in for a fast landing.

This wont save most of your planes, but you might just get lucky
Old 05-05-2002, 05:36 PM
bdrannik

Default Crashed Engine

Flying Scotsman:

>>What state is the engine in, can it be used again?

Yip.. It's running great.. I was amazed the crank wasn't bent after seeing what was left of the APC prop. Only a minor scratch on the valve cover. If you look at the crash pictures, you will see that the main landing gear is not seen anyplace. That's because it's hanging from the tree. The gear snagged at the last second, keeping the engine from impacting the ground very hard. The plane came apart going thru the pine branches 50-60 feet up, almost none of the damage was done from the ground impact.
Old 05-06-2002, 03:49 PM
Timbersnake

Default Lost elevator..

BDrannik...hey, there's a perfectly good aileron in that 1st picture!

On a sort of related note...last weekend our little club was flying at a local lake when one of the elder members spun his scratch built Seamaster in at full throttle. Fiberglass fuse and sheeted foam wings...a GMS Fortysomething in the pod. This airplane (heavy) had never seen a good day of flying and had always been carried home in pieces...but this was the end of it. The only unbroken pieces were the ailerons!
TM