Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

"over the hill"

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

"over the hill"

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 07:58 AM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "over the hill"

This post could get me killed,not to mention losing almost thirty years of close friendship, but here goes. How do you get a sixty-two year old friend to slow down and realize he does'nt have the reflexes to control RC planes going a hundred miles an hour and flipping through the air like a drunk seagull ? To date, 25 crashes and counting [ in the last five years ] HELP !
Old 05-10-2004, 09:38 AM
Primodus
My Feedback: (56)

Default RE: "over the hill"

Is he endangering anyone else or just his own equipment? If noone else is in danger, and the guy doesn't mind rekitting planes, let him have his fun

However, if the friend poses a safety threat, and you are in a club, then the club should approach him together, not as an idividual. This being a sensitive issue, the friends feelings should be taken into effect and a certain amount of tact should be used. Noone likes to be told they are causing problems, especially when they think they are having fun. Good luck in finding a resolution.[8D]
Old 05-10-2004, 10:30 AM
cstevec
My Feedback: (1)

I have a similar situation at our flying field. Guy is a good friend and helluva flyer but he just doesn't have the reflexes for 180+mph planes any more. Never mind that as he gets older he gets more cantankerous and less tolerant of advice/criticism.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:11 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Build him a nice Piper Cub with a Saito twin cylinder engine and tell him you will give it to him as a gift if he will slow down and only fly the Cub.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:44 PM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MormonMike

reflexes to control RC planes going a hundred miles an hour and flipping through the air like a drunk seagull ? To date, 25 crashes
[:@]

My first reaction to this is rage ......you see I'm 67 yrs old and still design and fly R/C!
Then of course I also ride 1100 cc Honda V65 Sabre and Magna Motorcycles in Denver traffic even to riding the I-25 Boulevard of broken taillights and bent cars. Yeah, even a 1981 Goldwing 1100 flat four. Then to I take a Rider Training Safety Course every two years, just to stay tuned to the best I can be.

But, back to R/C all folks have different abililities and egos that need feeding and support and not to mention opinions. Though I still fly and drive I do not over tax my abilities by flying R/C aircraft in excess of 75/85 mph even in a power dive, nor fly/drive in a reckless manner. You failed to mentioned just what aircraft he was attempting to fly, so I can not judge anything from that!

Is he flying without the benefit of a friend backup pilot/spotter or someone who is truly a friend to lend a hand to prevent this or maybe his attitude is such that it would be impossible to approach him with a very tactfull suggestion to change to a slower and docile aircraft? Remember when you get into a car and realize that you maybe on the same road as he...just maybe within a foot or so of each other and going 65 mph.....

WOW..that scares this ole phart too.

Is there a physical problem, maybe eyes, cordination, and or both. Be a friend and stay with him, be a better friend and be very suttle in your suggestions.

Good Luck and by the way a Top Flight GS P51/ G62 is on my bench, along with a Pitts S2A 1/3 scale also with a G62!

On the flight line is a .90ST powered Larger Aeromaster and a .90ST Dirty Birdi of a bit larger than normal size..The DBirdi will exceed 100 mph in a power dive..duh but then why over stress the aircraft and my self when it does the pattern at just a bit over 1/2 throttle..

Once Again...Good Luck and Stick In There with your friend and try to help.
Some times it's just time to throw in the towel, but none of us want to hear that.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:08 PM
IowaSilvia
My Feedback: (97)

I don't belong to a club, but I fly with 2 older guys. One is 86 and the other is 80. They are slower in reflexes and do have some ruff landings at times. You really need to have patients with them though. The 86 yr. old just got a 4*60 for this season and almost lost it because it rolls way too fast for him. Lucky another guy noticed he had no orientation of the plane, took the controls from him and brought it back up. We figure he had no more than 5 feet left before a 60mph thrashing of mother earth.

They are old in their ways and do things the way they want to. Let them. It is their plane, their money, and time. If they aren't hurting anyone leave them be. I always keep a close eye on them and their planes. Just in case. Hell. Everyone keeps a keen eye on my plane too. I've been doing this since last Oct. and have a 4*40, somethin extra, cermark sukhoi, H9 Funtana, and in the process of building a 29% Gee Bee Z. Look out folks........
Old 05-10-2004, 01:19 PM
MormonMike

GS Nut, I had no intention of offending anyone. If your capable of high-intense flying with good reactions and mental capabilities at your age, thats great !. Its my friend that im worried about. His giant Aeromaster with a 3.2 fox was the last to auger in. His CAP 232 with a large 3W will be next. Mules go to him to learn how to be stubborn. He never gives up building though. And like the affore reply, maybe as long as he does'nt hurt anybody, leave him be. But I wish there was a way to get him to ask himself....... "Why am I having so many crashes" ? This is at a club and yes, there have been a couple of "close calls" . Im 50 and realize, start slowing down on the wild aerobattics. I know Im going to be told here, "if your a real friend, you'll talk to him" but its easier said than done. Remember your first response,........ Appreciate you talking to me though. I really do.[]
Old 05-10-2004, 01:41 PM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

GS Nut, I had no intention of offending anyone.

Nauh, you didn't offend me..heheh...just a knee jerk reaction on my part..
an I know I'm slowing down physically, but mentally am still 18 years old or so I seem to think. Hummmm, am even getting lazy and thinking of installing a Gyro on rudder to help on take offs...duh..don't like it but then why not. May make me look better at the field.

As for or your friend though..

The planes you mentioned would be on the other side of the line for me and I would have to modify them with a thicker wing, plus more + wing incidence which would allow them to fly with a lot less horse power.

Also:

Maybe an award or two may do the trick---like Dumb Thumbs and Hard Luck Pilot Plaque or some such thing applied at the proper time.. maybe a couple in the next several months...????

As before A very tactful approach is probably called for if you wish to remain friends.

Hang in there, Mike an Good Luck !!

BTW: Where's Millville from Evanston UT. ?? I get there once in a while to visit my Grandson..even take a plane now and then.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:55 PM
racsanone
My Feedback: (1)

I feel your plight, I have belonged to a club that had the same situation.. got so bad that all of us would land and get under the pitched tent when he flew, with one brave soul standing next him. he would high speed pass the field real low and fly full out with a tuned pipe.. He couldnt hear if he deadsticked, he's clip treetops, just really scarry stuff. we would casually mention to him as a group, that he should slow down... never worked..... we lost that field eventually and now I fly at another club... I dont know what club this guy is high speed passing at now, but i hope they got a tent or shed to get behind..... If you cant persuade him to slow down, make it known to all members to cease and stand back when he flies. dont put yourself in harms way.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:26 PM
MormonMike

CSNut, Millville is just south of Logan, Utah, a few miles. About two hours from Evanston. Real pretty mountain valley area. Seeya, MJ
Old 05-10-2004, 04:53 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Here's how I handled it.

I waited until he showed up on a day I was training new people. He proceeded to take off at wide open throttle, zigzagging all over the field, and immediately turned toward the pilot line, circling the field by first going behind the spectator area, then out in front, and then the wild wide-open loops, rolls, spins, etc. all over the field and behind it.

When he got done and landed, he found me waiting with my arms crossed and a stern look on my face. I told him I was trying to teach the new people to abide the rules, fly in front of the pilot line and not behind the pilot line. He was teaching them, by example, to fly behind the pilot line, and I didn't appreciate it.

He bought it and apologized. When he does it again, I tell him again. At least for a while afterward, he flies out front, so nobody's in danger.

And, frankly, I don't care as much about being friends as I do being safe. I advise you to make the same decision.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson

This post could get me killed,not to mention losing almost thirty years of close friendship, but here goes. How do you get a sixty-two year old friend to slow down and realize he does'nt have the reflexes to control RC planes going a hundred miles an hour and flipping through the air like a drunk seagull ? To date, 25 crashes and counting [ in the last five years ] HELP !
Old 05-11-2004, 07:25 AM
MormonMike

Moderator, would you please delete this thread, I now have some very helpful ideas what to do. Thanks, MJS
Old 05-22-2004, 09:50 AM
ICE_MAN

We got a guy in our club whose 86 I believe. Best flyer out there IMO. He still fly's fast .60 p-51 style.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:14 PM
Tetley

Mules go to him to learn how to be stubborn.
LOL that made me laugh!!

If someone is unsafe and endangering others tact and tiptoeing around don't wash, just tell him straight, if he were driving like that the police sure wouldn't consider his feelings, i know it sounds harsh but a 3w implanted in your head is just not acceptable!!.