Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

In a tree!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 09:59 AM
Birdman3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: In a tree!

A quick (but sad) follow-up to the Phoenix's story.

I was so glad to get that plane back (I'm emotianally attached to it, it was my first) that I sat her on the bench and told her I'd rebuild the multiple dings, dents and breaks in the wing's leading edge. (There are a lot of trees around here.)

Stayed up ALL NIGHT Saturday, repairing ribs, resheeting and recovering her wing. Went to bed at 6 a.m. for a 4-hour nap before my co-pilot arrived for flying. Looked like new, flew like new! I was delirious that (in spite of some extra weight from MANY repairs) she flew and handled like a dream. (She's a flat-bottomed 40 size high wing)

Last flight of the day around 12:30, we were to put 'em up once and then pick up our toys, as I had domestic duty. (Well, maybe we'll sneak in a couple of sunset runs!)

Lightman, my partner in aviation, was flying his Tower Kaos with a .46. Damn fast plane. My racer was wrecked but my high wing (with her ALL NEW WING) could dance just fine. We lined them up side by side for airshow stunt practice. Light counted down for the tandem snap rolls, "3, 2, 1" they rolled side by side and he called "Into the loop!".

Up and over they went, pretty as a picture postcard. As they crossed one in front of the other, suddenly the Phoenix pitched into a tilting aileron-rolling spiral. I couldn't gain control. Had I lost a servo? A radio problem?

The two seconds raced by as Phoenix plummeted toward Terra Firma. Then I heard lightman say
"THEY HIT!".

His Kaos had veered right or Phoenix left, and the .46 had sawed off the perfect, new wingtip I just built.

She augered into the ground, bashing her nose in quite a bit. The wing is a total loss, the last 4 inches of the port wing looks like someone attacked it with a chainsaw.

After many stories, many gorgeous days of flying, many serious wrecks and at least a half-dozen rebuilds, the Phoenix will be retired to the Hangar Museum.

Raise a glass to all the good planes gone grounded. Only the mountains are forever.

Thanks for your faithful service, Phoenix.

At least she went down in a blaze of glory, leaving me another great (albeit heartbreaking) story for the log.

Bird
Old 08-02-2004, 08:06 PM
scoli121
My Feedback: (20)

I don't believe it! It fell out! Unfortunately, it's not entirely good news. It fell in to the creek, upside down. I found it about 150 yards down stream. Even though the plane weighed about 35 lbs (water weight), I don't think it was in there long. The foam surrounding the battery was a little damp, but the receiver seemed to be dry. I pulled the head off of the engine and shot it full of WD40. Since it's been in a tree for the last 2 weeks, I'm waiting for it to charge for about an hour so that I can see if my radio gear still works. If my radio gear works, I'll call it a major victory. The plane is shot, waterlogged, but hopefully I can use everything else in another plane.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:44 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

We have an interesting way of getting airplanes out of trees at Fentress. If shaking, pulling, cursing, etc dosen't work, the luckless can drive up to the Quarterdeck and see if they'll bring the fire truck out. Let me clarify, not one of your run of the mill city slicker fire trucks, but an honest to goodness Oshkosh built 4WD airport type monster with a water cannon that will carry several hundred feet. The drive up and give your plane a few shots with the water cannon, it either comes down or gets reduced to balsa sticks and covering. I've been very lucky to only have to witness this carnage once, but it's very effective.

Andy
Old 08-02-2004, 11:12 PM
Rebellion
My Feedback: (2)

Has anyone else fallen out of a tree while trying to get their plane back ? A couple of years back I dumb-thumbed my Graupner Terry into a small patch of trees at high speed. Found the wing in one tree and the fuse two trees over. Tried to climb the tree to get to the limb the fuse was on but no go. One the way down I slipped and fell out of the tree. Only fell a couple of feet BUT my left foot landed on a dead limb on the ground and rolled under. Hurt like crazy but I thought I could just walk it off and be OK. Yea, right !
A couple of hours later my ankle had swolen badly so I decided to have it x-rayed. Not broken fortunately but badly sprained. Had to wear a splint for four weeks. Still haven't lived that one down.
The Terry had to stay in the tree for a couple of weeks before I could get back and get it down ( with the help of a couple of constantly snickering friends ). During that time we had a couple of good rain storms. The airframe was totaled but the radio gear is still flying.

David E.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:19 AM
scoli121
My Feedback: (20)

Except for the servo that was submerged, the rest of the radio gear actually works. Anybody have any ideas how to try and start an engine that's been pumped full of creek water, drained (I hope) and then shot full of WD40?
Old 08-03-2004, 05:40 PM
animal mother

Too bad!

A good thing that we don't have trees in Greenland.

You should go over to your neighbor and just ask!!!
It doesn't hurt to ask!
He might help You out!
Old 08-03-2004, 08:14 PM
air mail rcu

Yea ...............Put fuel in it ..........charge the glow plug............put the starter motor on the spinner....................push the button. Any other questions?
Old 08-06-2004, 10:11 PM
DaveGell

Here's another way to get a plane out of a tree. After putting my trainer near the top of a tree and trying the usual-shaking, poking and trying to throw a line, I had a brainstorm. I remembered my dad bow fishing, so I thought I could get a line over the limb with a bow and fishing arrow. Having neither I went to the local Play-it-again Sports ( a sporting goods resale shop). They had some fishing arrows and a bow. I asked if I could rent the bow, but couldn't. I could buy it that day, are sell it back the next. So after buying a couple fishing arrows and a bow I was all set. Tied some light twine to the arrow and shot the arrow into the air - it fell to earth I know not where ( oops, wrong poem). It took a few tries to get the twine up over the limb, but we managed. Used the twine to pull some heavier line over the limb with a loop in it. Hooked the plane with the loop and pulled. Managed to dislodge the plane and get it back. After repairs it was flying again - until the dread figure-9 maneuver killed it.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:46 PM
air mail rcu

I hate when that happens[&o] Sorry about your lost.[]

Did you sell the fishing bow back to the resale store?
Old 08-07-2004, 06:25 AM
DaveGell

ORIGINAL: air mail rcu

I hate when that happens[&o] Sorry about your lost.[]

Did you sell the fishing bow back to the resale store?
Yes, at about a 25 % discount
Old 08-08-2004, 01:16 AM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

The trees seem to jump out of the way, as they don't wish to DIE, then Mother Earth reaches up and SLAMS the plane into herslef FIRMLY PLANTING the nose and engine...SHE is so CRUEL!!!

"Keep 'Em Flying!"
Flak