Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Do You Keep Count?

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Do You Keep Count?

Old 07-30-2004, 09:09 PM
BadBart
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do You Keep Count?

Just curious as to whether or not anyone else keeps count of how many planes they've buried into the ground. I'm at "6" destroyed in a little over a year.
1. Tower Trainer
2. Easy 2 Trainer
3. Easy Sport
4. Lanier P-51
5. Great Planes P-51
6. Midwest Corsair

Pat
Old 07-30-2004, 09:40 PM
Live Wire

Default RE: Do You Keep Count?

I have planted 4 in 10yrs
4* 40
P63 king cobra
Lt 40
P51
OOOOOO I for got the CG chipmunk needs landing gear replaced
Old 07-31-2004, 02:41 AM
multicasting

Oh Wow,

I really try to forget these things since it makes me wonder if I am any decent sort of a pilot.

Let's See
.60 size trainer (unknown type) wing popped off at 200 feet. Engine and Radio still fly today
Falcon III Wing Popped off at 25 feet, Engine and Radio still fly today
Ancient home built swept wing that I bought off a guy, Elevator popped off on second flight. Only radio salvaged
Ancient Home built small Kaos, (same guy) servo tray came loose (my fault). rebuilt and flys really cool.
Ancient ARF from 1980. Jayhawk Arrow. Rubberband slipped into aleron. (you're supposed to cross those things?!) awaiting rebuild.
AI Tech F-14 Tamecat. Reversed servo. will rebuild this winter.

It's scary! I'v only lost one engines and a few servos. The first three airframes are history as well.

If you are wondering, I have been flying for about 2 years. I still have seven other aircraft in the garage. And, I actually have several that haven't suffered anything worse that a hard landing during this time.

Gosh, that was a steep learning curve.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:07 AM
davidmor

When you say 'destroyed', do you mean trashed beyond repair? If that is the question, so far none. However I did 'destroy' my 27% Extra early this summer but it is still in my shop and I am planning on attempting a re-build this winter on it. It is questionable on whether or not it can be re-built but I am up for the challenge! Other than that I have crashed many but re-built them all. This is over 5 years of flying. I would guess I have had 10 - 15 crashes causing everything from torn out landing gear to a significant re-kitting!
[:@]
Old 07-31-2004, 07:51 AM
BALSA BANDIT

Do you really expect me to count how many planes I've crashed, gosh I'm only human....
Old 07-31-2004, 12:50 PM
badomens

I have crashed 1

Hanger 9 Solo Strike

My first flight.......
Its last!

Nose dive from not being trimmed and I dumb thumbed it into the dirt at about 45mph. The OS .46LA still lives!!
Old 07-31-2004, 01:51 PM
TOPGUNNER

Only 1 wreck...

Collage Ruled paper airplane RTF, my only wreck.
i was able to reuse the paper to make a grocery list later that day.........

rebuilding a new one made out of contruction paper...........it will be ready next year....

Hey "multicasting"
Looks like alot of your accidents came from stuff "poping off" in flight.............
hummmm maybe try some different glue...like concrete or something...cause i don't think the stuff your using works.....
Just a thought.......
Old 07-31-2004, 08:07 PM
StregaFlyer

I have crashed a Aero Star 20, 4 different times, the airplane is 18 years old though.. I've crashed 2 different Dodgers Q500's.. A 2 QM40 Dago Red's, Kaze Killer QM40, 1 Conspirator Q500, and a Super-T Q500.. All of the racing airplanes were crashed during contests coming around Pylon 3.. The Kaze Killer I crashed on it's test flight.... And I almost forgot, I crashed a SIG Wonder after the elevator servo quit working... I've crashed 12 airplanes in 18 years of flying...
Old 07-31-2004, 08:10 PM
BadBart

I suppose my purpose for starting this thread was to hopefully provide some sort of optimism for not only myself but for others. The 6 planes that I destroyed (beyond repair) were a result of learning to fly and one due to plane old stupidity. I am just curious if an "average" number can be calculated as to how many planes are lost when you start off learning to fly.
Pat
Old 07-31-2004, 08:21 PM
KINGX

3 WWII birds in one year????[sm=thumbdown.gif][sm=thumbdown.gif][sm=thumbdown.gif] Thats madness...did you actually try the warbirds after you have crashed 3 easy to fly planes, i am confused[sm=idea.gif]
Old 07-31-2004, 08:51 PM
Trogdor the Burninator

hahaha I saw that and thought the same thing... but didn't want to say anything.

Sorry badbart... but dont worry, everyone crashes sometime just try to learn something from each one. I guess.

Mine have never been irreparable... but they are pretty screwed up at times to where they sit in the corner mocking me but I don't feel I have the energy to fix em... but they CAN be fixed techinically.. so I keep them...

Good luck with the next one.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:00 PM
rccrazedman
My Feedback: (10)

in five years I think I wrecked to many to count. let me try to remember . I destroyed my first plane three times. (built two scratched Fuselages). I destroyed a Royal coachman given to me. Next was a scratch built plane that we tried to hand launch that didn't work and it tipped over and killed it. Next was a kadet senior becase the one that was giving to me had a broken fin and when I glued it together it didn't hold and ripped off in flight. Built another fuse for it and destroyed it again when my girlfriend was taking off with it and she made a steep turn and I could not get it to pull out. Then I had destroyed a aircore 40 after a friend had busted my wings in half during a mid air collision (his fault) LOL. next went down my arf corsair do to some reason the controls weren't sufficent to flight. next was a Hobbico superstar when my battery went dead. (my stupidity of not charging the battery because I charged it not the day before flying but two days before flying) and next came my durastick but I did not destry it just busted the fuse to where it needed a new pvc pipe. No interest to fix it anyway. but for five years thats where I stand. LOL wow I gues I hold the record with destroying 11 planes in five years, at least the ones I can remember LOL
Old 07-31-2004, 09:53 PM
Righty

You crashed three trainers... then went to warbirds... that doesn't seem right. you had an instructor when training right?
Old 07-31-2004, 10:02 PM
LuckyArmpit

I've crashed numerous foamies....just today, got the p-51 that was stuck in a tree. Have flown my Arrow 3 times (Instructor did the landings). This plane will eventually crash sooner or later....Its gonna wind up with all kinds of patches etc. so the it'll look like the Beverly Hillbillies plane. I just have to make sure I double check everything before the plane gets fired up. I've read too many times about rx batts not being charged, servos somehow got reversed, etc...

Dave...
Old 07-31-2004, 10:30 PM
BadBart

Yes...I know...3 warbirds in one year...not good. My problem was that I was very careless. The lanier P-51 I tried a hammerhead with at too low of an altitude and could'nt pull out of it. The GP P-51 I tried inverted fight too low and plowed it into the ground. I pulled the Corsair off the ground too soon and it torqued over and totally smashed the front part of the fuse. After my string of bad luck (due to stupidity)...I quit flying for several months. As I've now started back again I have gained a much greater respect for this hobby I guess you could say.

My passion is for the warbirds and perhaps moved to them too quickly. I'm back at a low wing trainer now.

Hence the purpose of this thread. I sort of lost my confidence and I suppose by hearing that I wasn't the only one that lost several...etc. etc. etc.

Pat
Old 08-01-2004, 12:44 AM
KFalcon
My Feedback: (18)

I never count, if my wife asks I am not lying by playing stupid.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:12 AM
britbrat

Are we talking crashes, or total destruction? In the past 10 yrs, I've had numerous "arrival events" requiring shipyard-class repairs, including 4 this year, but only one completely non-repairable mega dump. In my early modelling days, starting in the mid 1950s, the mega-dumps were carefully restricted to every single model -- all were total losses eventually, & too numerous to keep track of. Modern radios & a late-arriving sense of mortality have kept me from notable grief in the modern era.
Old 08-01-2004, 12:41 PM
volkan

Rıpmax Traıner 40
Multıplex twınstar
blackhorse super aır

and

Kyosho traıner 40 (many tımes)!!!!!!

(see my other threads!!!!!)
Old 08-01-2004, 02:22 PM
BadBart

Total Destruction!!!
Old 08-01-2004, 03:17 PM
rccrazedman
My Feedback: (10)

I know I wrecked a lot of trainers. I did have an instructer if you look at it this way I never got the fly my warbird because my instructer crashed it on the first flight . he said it didn't have enough control. but to me it looked fine till it just started flying weird did a few off course moves and nosed down and plowed into the ground all while it was still at a low attitude
Old 08-01-2004, 03:38 PM
bentgear

I tried to keep count, but ran out of fingers and toes.

Britbrat, loved the "I've had numerous "arrival events" requiring shipyard-class repairs" comment.
Got to remember that one.

Ed M.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:27 PM
freeonthree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I don't crash anymore, but lets see...... A few Avistars, one I can't remember the name, a Super Sportster, and a few others, But I don't crash anymore.......... 8 in 2 years and 5 months.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:45 AM
eddiemans

trainer stopped responding- faulty battery charger
trainer lasted 100 ft with tx aerial down
trainer broke wing 3" from middle.
pattern plane knife edged in flat out from 150 ft - lost radio
black horse home run tip stalled when motor cut 20 ft up on maiden
super air elevator fluttered on first hi speed pass
vmar navaho when trims way out from sharing tx with other plane
magic extra receiver died
liberty sport either broke prop or pulled firewall out
S.P.A.D. pattern like plane too heavy, too fast , downwind deadstick landing.
S.P.A.D. qhor took over a dozen hard hits before bent fuselage 90 degrees
3 s/hand whatever they were. dumb thumbed hotdogging.
couple others that didn't like what I did even though I don't know what it was.
still have 5 to go in the very far future!

after looking & remembering all these it not an impressive resume for a bit over two years. []
Old 08-03-2004, 10:16 AM
saramos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 crash so far. One month after starting to fly and at the suggestion of my instructor, I entered a trainer race. In the first turn of the 3rd heat, I tried to avoid another plane by dropping below him. I dropped all the way into the ground. The plane suffered repairable damage and will be back in the air in a couple of days. At least I was in the points lead when I lost it.

Scott
Old 08-03-2004, 10:45 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am like the parents at a "T" Ball game for little kids. I really don't keep count, but just like the parents, I know that I have 'lost' 5 since last year. (3 my fault and 2 not)...no I really don't keep count...yeah right!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.