Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

"One more flight..." Jinx Bites Again!

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

"One more flight..." Jinx Bites Again!

Old 08-21-2004, 08:50 PM
SkyDude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "One more flight..." Jinx Bites Again!

Yup - it's my fault. I knew better, but I wasn't thinking and accidently jinxed myself today. And it cost me.

It was a perfect day at the field and although turnout was light, I needed to share a frequency with another club member. No problem. We took turns with the frequency pin for a few flights and my Super Sportster was flying well. As I was preparing for my fourth flight of the day, he walked over to give me the pin.

"Between the two of us this frequency will be all worn out today" he said, smiling.

I agreed quickly "Yeah, but I'm going to get in one more flight and then leave, so it will be all yours."

I could hear the words come out of my mouth, but it was too late before I realized what I was doing.

My fate was sealed.

"Oh, don't say 'one more', say 'another'" he cautioned, but he didn't need too. I knew I had angered the gods.

I immediatly knocked on wood, but it was in vain. I knew I was in trouble, but then this is just stupid superstitious stuff. I fired up the engine, leaned it one or two clicks, then taxi'd out.

My "one more flight" lasted about 5.7 seconds. [:@]

I make a quick, semi-steep take-off and a second after she's airborne the engine dies. She didn't have much airspeed or altitude and I had no choice but to land her in the field. The field is plowed annually in spring, and this time of year is dry chunked up dirt and weeds. With little to no headwind, she glided in quick and made a hard landing into a bunch of big, dry dirt clods. I flared as much as I could and the tailwheel touched about the same time as the mains, but it was not pretty with the rough ground.

The Super Sportster's infamous landing gear and wheel pants did their thing and punctured the wing. One wheel is out of whack pretty good and the glass pant is mucked up. All in all, I got off easy for such tempting of fate. The fuse is fine, and the engine is a little dirty, but no prop was busted.

Some may say I sabotaged myself by leaning out the motor when the plane already had three nice flights. Nonsense! [:'(] I was jinxed I tell you!

Let this be a lesson for us all. Never say "One more flight."
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11180.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	166228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70677.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	166229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55294.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	166230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51641.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	166231  
Old 08-21-2004, 09:17 PM
pauluk2w
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: "One more flight..." Jinx Bites Again!

you got away lucky with little damage, maybe you never angered the gods as much as you thought you did. A little bit of work and it will be up in the air to defy them again I say the same thing as you said all the time "just one more flight" the last time i annoyed them with that saying they tried their best to put me back on terra firma. i lost a muffler on take off and noticed the change in pitch of my TT91 i was bringing it back around to land when it back fired and a little black thing flew off the front i watched the black thing and not my planethen realized OH s@#t thats my prop and spinner. i got it back down in 1 piece I was lucky and the stuka fly's again
Old 08-21-2004, 11:02 PM
Jacop10

I always take two more flights, but I stop halfway through.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:21 PM
Broken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look on the bright side- Frequencys Open!!!!