Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

U-CAN-CRASH (PIC)

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

U-CAN-CRASH (PIC)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 08:43 PM
kracker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U-CAN-CRASH (PIC)

U-CAN-DO AFTER A MID AIR
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62074.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	206218  
Old 12-23-2004, 09:33 PM
âûñøåå îäíî

Default RE: U-CAN-CRASH (PIC)

how did the other plane fair?

Sorry for your loss so close to the holidays
Old 12-24-2004, 10:08 AM
kracker

This was actually my friends airplane, crashed a few months ago. The other plane was also a loss. You can't tell in the pic, but the engine is almost completely buried in the ground!
Old 12-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: kracker

U-CAN-DO AFTER A MID AIR

CARNAGE!!
Old 12-24-2004, 04:25 PM
Sukhoi_Madness

U-CAN-DO 3D?

Not any more...
Old 12-27-2004, 09:12 AM
LuckyArmpit

One of the worst crash pics I've seen!!! Man, I have a U Can Do that I almost have ready to go....maybe by this thursday.....
Mine has already suffered much hangar rash...rip in the rudder, the piece of wood that has the hole in it where the wing dowel goes in
has broken off when I hit the landing gear against a door frame....

Dave...
Old 12-27-2004, 01:22 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aww thats repairable. Quite cryin.

its easy......just go to the LHS....order a new one......walla, repaired
Old 12-27-2004, 08:03 PM
RC-Captain

quite ? any way, this plane looks as if it was nosed straight into the ground, I would throw the engine away if I were you .
Old 12-27-2004, 09:16 PM
smokingcrater

ORIGINAL: RC-FIEND

quite ? any way, this plane looks as if it was nosed straight into the ground, I would throw the engine away if I were you .
my ucd .46 broke it's wing mount block in flight (actually it came unglued) and came over a nice ballastic arc from a little over 100 feet or so. it ended up pointed straight down, with the engine cut off. the front 1/2 of the plane was destroyed, but my saito .72 survived without any damage what so ever, it was even fairly hard ground.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:45 PM
RC-Captain

smokingcrater, I agree some engines are tough, but I think once you nose a engine straight into the ground so hard it burries itself into the ground , me myself I would chuck it , I can't see the engine ever being able to be tuned properly any more.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:11 PM
egor

Nonsense:

That engine could and probably is perfectly fit for duty. I've seen many buried in hard clay, and once in a while one will have a bent crank, but that is usually when the engine is still running wide open. Dig it out, Do Not rotate the crank. clean the dirt out of the carb, and off the exterior of the engine. Remove the back plate and the muffler. Use something similar to Brak-kleen or carburator cleaner to spray the dirt and dust out of the interior of the engine. Flood the interior of the engine with after-run oil of some sort and let it run down in to the bearings/bushing and let set over night. Next day turn the crank over slowly by hand, and feel for roughness, or displaced bearings, or a bent crank. If you think the crankshaft is bent hold the engine so that you can see in the back opening and watch the back of the crankshaft as you turn it over if it is bent enough to do damage you should be able to see the back of the crank wobble off center.

egor
Old 12-28-2004, 08:54 AM
msu68stang
My Feedback: (7)

I agree with egor. With the proper precautions an engine can be restored. Both crashes of mine i've planted the engine. Both engines are now running, one in a four star and one in a somethin extra.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:13 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: LuckyArmpit

One of the worst crash pics I've seen!!! Man, I have a U Can Do that I almost have ready to go....maybe by this thursday.....
Mine has already suffered much hangar rash...rip in the rudder, the piece of wood that has the hole in it where the wing dowel goes in

Dave...
As long as you are working on it I suggest 2 mods that WILL SAVE YOU SOME GREIF.

1. Re-enforce the firewall with some tri stock and 30 minute epoxy. The stock firewall is butt glued to the fuselage side with hot glue.

2. Re-enforce the inside of the fuselage by the wing. The fuselage is weak there and I have seen the fuselage crack in a rough/hard landing. The landing would not have affected most planes, but it cracked the fuselage on the U-Can-DO.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:57 AM
kracker

I was just the witness of this crash. I know both people involved. The plane in the picture was in a rolling dive (straight down) when the other plane (also a U-Can-Do) flew right in the path of the one coming down. It knocked the wing off the one in the picture, and it flew (fell) straight into the ground! Both planes were a loss. I recieved the landing gear off both planes, now on spads. A spad may have survived this incident. I've gone straight in with a spad a couple of times and was back out flying the same day.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:42 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

U-CAN-POO
Old 12-30-2004, 11:08 PM
wdennie

quote : rc fiend
smokingcrater, I agree some engines are tough, but I think once you nose a engine straight into the ground so hard it burries itself into the ground , me myself I would chuck it , I can't see the engine ever being able to be tuned properly any more.

if you throw all engines away that bury into the ground ill give you my adress and you send them to me i have a 46 ax, the day i bought it i had it a fazer te wings collapsed it went it staight buried up past the head i cleaned real good its still the best engine i got . if you just trash em ill take em ill even send shipping back to you .
Old 12-31-2004, 01:54 AM
bobo_54501
My Feedback: (19)

I heard if you plant them deep enought in the right soil a 40 can grow to as large as a 60 ...Ive got motors ive planted pretty deep .Just knock the crud off of them , Flush them out good , Check for obviuos problems , put them on something else and light them up .Anybody chucking motors give me an email ill give ya something for them .
Old 12-31-2004, 04:51 AM
bjorngl

ORIGINAL: LuckyArmpit

....the piece of wood that has the hole in it where the wing dowel goes in

Dave...
Hey you're in luck!
The UCD needs to have its LG block "removed" in order to get some glue and better dowels in there. I knocked mine off in the fourth flight when Harrier landing in grass. There was almost no glue holding the block and the two dowels only went halfway through the block, not reaching the front former like they should have.

Someone said to reinforce the fuse around the wing but I'm not sure that's sensible. I knocked a wingtip once and the fuse cracked in two behind the cockpit. Relatively easy to repair (minding to get it straight) but I suspect the wing would not have survived unharmed if the fuselage had held on.
Another weak point is the horisontal stab. Flying wires or CF rod spars are a must if you're doing spins or other more violent moves. I´m not sure that triangular stock reinforcement is better and it's not needed if you have wires or spars
Old 12-31-2004, 05:00 AM
RC-Captain

bobo_54501,wdennie

The day I burry a motor in the ground I will definitely send it to you at your cost of shipping it, Most motors are under $100 . So nine times out of ten by the time I crash that hard I would have gotten my money's worth already. . I just cant see taking the risk of the motor cutting off in mid flight over trees flying an very expensive plane, and because I was cheap I have to spend a heck of alot more money [:@].

So you guys can have them, no problem.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:20 AM
bobo_54501
My Feedback: (19)

Rc-fiend I agree with you to a point .Ive got a couple of planes that I wouldnt fly without the best of the best . I either worked way to hard on them and 2 came from a friend that passed away . On those I want the best motors I got . But I do have a few of those $50 or less specials I bought at swap meets and a few SPAD planes .If they were to go to RC Heaven due to a dead stick Opps Oh Well life goes on . I do have 2 motors that have tasted alot of dirt in their day .Ones a Super Tigre 40 . Down right tough motor . Shes been on a few SPAD planes I go crazy with now and then . One day I planted it twice . Took the carb off and dug the dirt out Blew her out best I could and flew 15 minutes later just to do it again .Same procedure flew her again .And to this day it has never dead sticked with a zillion flights on her .Thing runs like the day i broke her in almost .Others a little norvel Big Mig 25 .Wacked that one dead center on pavement once . Broke the prop bolt but she still lived on for a few more hundred flights .We play rought around here at times .(( Private field in the boonies )) So hey if ya crash and burn one give me a yell ..Ill give ya something for them ..Take Care Have Fun !!
Old 12-31-2004, 11:27 AM
kracker

I did not realize that it may grow to a 60 size if I left it planted, I would have told my buddy to leave it there and throw a little fertilizer on it!
Old 12-31-2004, 11:36 AM
kracker

The motor was a Saito 100 on a U-Can-Do 40. Here in Colorado we need to up-size the motor due to thinner air and oxygen. The cost is is nearing $300 with tax. The motor did come away with a bent crankshaft, not sure what else.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:55 AM
RC-Captain

Maybe its just me but I don't think I will ever be paying $300 dollars for any kind of engine. Another thing that may be just me , is why do people fly such huge planes ? The size of my trainer is plenty big enough, actually I'm going to buy a 36" wing span , low winged plane to practice with before getting a bigger low wing or aerobatic plane.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:38 PM
kracker

I agree that's a lot of money to plant, but I have a couple myself. The plane I fly the most only has a .46fx and is on a spa3dt with a dps wing. I've hit the ground many times with it (pilot error)and it is still a blast to fly. The engine is the most expensive part on it.(around $100)
ORIGINAL: RC-FIEND

Maybe its just me but I don't think I will ever be paying $300 dollars for any kind of engine. Another thing that may be just me , is why do people fly such huge planes ? The size of my trainer is plenty big enough, actually I'm going to buy a 36" wing span , low winged plane to practice with before getting a bigger low wing or aerobatic plane.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:10 PM
old dog new tricks
My Feedback: (2)

To answer your question, I love the look of my giant scale Christen Eagle on a low flyby. Or my giant scale Sukhoi doing a rolling circle. Or my mustang doing a victory roll after a gear up strafing run over our runway. Don't get me wrong, I also have my 40 size funfly plane, but nothing turns heads like a giant scale plane being flown scale.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.