Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Staudacher question (crash)

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Goldberg Staudacher question (crash)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 10:16 PM
Shelby1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Staudacher question (crash)

Hi All,
I built a Goldberg Staudacher and had the engine deadstick on me last weekend. The darn thing turned into a lawn dart. I had the elevator cranked trying to level the thing out and it didn't respond at all. Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 01-29-2005, 11:29 PM
aerobatixkid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Goldberg Staudacher question (crash)

well no shate sherelock, u dont pull up elevator if your dead stick and hold it. you obviously stalled it and it mushed in. you should of pushed down elevator and got some speed up.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:46 AM
jbloom

I have the same plane, and yea, it doesn't respond well without airspeed. I only had about 50' of altitude when it died, and had to let if fall to about 20 feet before I could get the nose up and settle it into the high grass. No damage, but man, it won't float. Next time, plenty of airspeed before trying to control anything beyond leveling the wings.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:49 AM
Shelby1

You having not been there Shane you would have not known that I didnt hold it up. After trying to use elevatot to level it out didn't work is when it plowed into the ground.

Chris
Old 01-30-2005, 09:59 AM
RCRAINMAN

sounds like a stall to me
Old 01-30-2005, 02:33 PM
aerobatixkid

What else does having elevator cranked mean? You sound realitively inexpirenced to me. I can bet you $20 it stalled and mushed in. I have flown numerous Extras, Edges and a couple S-300's and I can tell you these types of aeroplanes have the behavior you mentioned.

Shane
Old 01-30-2005, 10:25 PM
Shelby1

Send me the 20 Einstien. You just lost. Tell me, when your plane is pointing straight down, what is the control surface of choice... hmmm must be the elevator.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:52 AM
Ross Kean

If you are too low, then probably nothing will work. If you have some altitude (at least 1 mistake high), the elevator should be neutralized! Do not try to flare or level the plane until you have airspeed. You need to get out of the stall before flight surfaces will work.

Ross
Old 01-31-2005, 08:47 AM
Shelby1

Ross,
You are completely right. I had taken off and the engine began surging, due to what I think was a fuel line coming off the muffler. It was the harder yellow line, which I will never use again. THe LHS was out of the softer pink/blue stuff. Anyways, I was coming in for a landing when the engine died so I didn't have the room to go nose down for airspeed. Oh well, I have always wanted to step up to an Areoworks plane which is here local. So now may be the time.

It boils down to if you can't afford to crash em don't fly em.

Chris
Old 01-31-2005, 10:22 AM
aerobatixkid

mmm... The harder yellow line is for gas only, is it not?
Old 01-31-2005, 01:11 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Shelby1

Hi All,
I built a Goldberg Staudacher and had the engine deadstick on me last weekend. The darn thing turned into a lawn dart. I had the elevator cranked trying to level the thing out and it didn't respond at all. Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks,
Chris
One of our more experienced builder/flyers finished a Goldberg Staudacher about 4 years ago, and from the day he brought it to the field it was prone to snaproll. He flew it a long time, for him, before he was comfortable doing aerobatics, and said it was always close to snapping out of maneuvers.

I saw him bring it in deadstick only once. He kept the nose down, and brought it around, and two times during the approach it started to snap out of the turn. Each time he pushed the nose down (gave it down elevator) to keep it from snapping. It was finally over the threshhold and started to snap again, but was so low it simply sat down hard on the landing gear.

His next kit was a Goldberg Extra, which still flies quite admirably. If you want, I'll ask if he still has the Staudacher....

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 01-31-2005, 07:57 PM
724SP
My Feedback: (10)

Sorry about the plane, Chris! Sounds like a stall to me, too. Actually, you can be stalled in any flight orientation...straight down, straight up, straight and level. Once the critical angle of attack of the wing is exceeded, the airplane is stalled and the only thing you can do to recover is to decrease the angle of attack. Even though your plane was heading straight for the dirt (and was probably going real fast), with the full up elevator input, the critical angle of attack was never lowered to the point the wing could start producing lift again. It is a natural instinct to pull back on the stick when you see all of your hard work heading straigt for the dumpster, but at that point the airplane is stalled and not flying anymore, just falling. Just a thought. Oh yeah, I've done it myself...
Old 02-01-2005, 05:04 PM
rflasch
My Feedback: (8)

I would have to agree with you---seems the Staudacher just does not want to stay in the sky--try a extra---much better airframe....if you like em big try the 80" Midwest 300 XS...what a sweet sweet flier and it just refuses to stall....
Old 02-02-2005, 08:04 PM
Shelby1

Thanks,
Chris
[/quote]
One of our more experienced builder/flyers finished a Goldberg Staudacher about 4 years ago, and from the day he brought it to the field it was prone to snaproll. He flew it a long time, for him, before he was comfortable doing aerobatics, and said it was always close to snapping out of maneuvers.

I saw him bring it in deadstick only once. He kept the nose down, and brought it around, and two times during the approach it started to snap out of the turn. Each time he pushed the nose down (gave it down elevator) to keep it from snapping. It was finally over the threshhold and started to snap again, but was so low it simply sat down hard on the landing gear.

His next kit was a Goldberg Extra, which still flies quite admirably. If you want, I'll ask if he still has the Staudacher....

Good luck,
Dave Olson

Dave,
You described exactlly what that damn thing did!! Does the guys still fly his Staudacher? I think with your post and rflasch's post the thing is destined for the trash can. I have been going back and forth for over a week now if I want to rebuild but if it's going to do the same thing, it seems to be a waste of time.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 02-04-2005, 07:30 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Shelby1
<snip> Does the guys still fly his Staudacher? <snip>
Chris,
He hasn't flown it for at least two years, and I know he hadn't sold it as of a year ago. He's moved on to bigger planes. Even his Goldberg Extra is a bit small for him, now.

I'll say this, if you can fly that Staudacher, you can fly 'most anything. Might be worth rebuilding it, for the practice with a hot plane.

Good luck,
Dave Olson