Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

20 feet Cessna Caravan Destroyed. Video

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

20 feet Cessna Caravan Destroyed. Video

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 12:36 PM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 20 feet Cessna Caravan Destroyed. Video

Just wondering if the reversed ailerons were caused by not having the correct model selected or had he changed something physicaly since the last flight?
Old 03-09-2005, 12:38 PM
Spadinator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did a search for Skyvan...came up with this.... http://www.arctic-circle-air.com/Sky...t%20medium.jpg
Old 03-09-2005, 02:07 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Perhaps the crash was caused because the pilot didn´t knew to choose a Turbo Raven or a Cessna Caravan in the transmitter model menu..... some doubts are contagious!!!!!

Enrique

Old 03-09-2005, 02:25 PM
RCRAINMAN

LOL... that looks like an old Shorts, Spadinator. I work at the airport, and we always call the Shorts "flying refrigerator boxes."

As for the Caravan v. Raven v. Skyvan, all I will say is that we have a 2004 Cessna Caravan parked in our hanger at work. And although those two pictures look A HELL OF A LOT like the Caravan, I understand that there may also be some other plane that looks JUST like a Caravan with some other name. Alhough I have to say that I have never seen anything that looks like that with any other name where I work. ...Which is KHSV btw.

I'll let the flamers take care of the official name, though.
Peace out!

Oh, and this is a image of a TURBO RAVEN followed by a Cessna Caravan :
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15817.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	241091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66525.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	241092  
Old 03-09-2005, 02:54 PM
SkyDude

Whatever it was, it's a shame it went in. That thing was built with a capital B. Even with so much power and being yanked around severely in it's death throws, she still held together until striking Mother Earth.

Great plane, great crash and great video. We finally get to see the impact this time instead of seeing it disappear behind trees.

Remember the old saying "I don't want anyone to crash, but if they do, I want to see it!"
Old 03-09-2005, 09:09 PM
BDAD Flyer
My Feedback: (15)

It is just scary to know that these guys fly those jets at 200mph around 2,000 poeple watcing 30 feet away and they master to hook ailerons backwards.......
Old 03-10-2005, 11:49 AM
BlenderBender

I was there and they were going to fly both the raven...and this caravan at the same time... the pilot got distracted during preflight by a spectator while messing with his radio I am assuming that he reversed the ailerons... you see the result. It was a beautiful plane....keyword "WAS"

It was last Friday at JetFest Lakeland FL 2005
Old 03-10-2005, 02:07 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It is just scary to know that these guys fly those jets at 200mph around 2,000 poeple watcing 30 feet away and they master to hook ailerons backwards......
I think that is scarier for me to know about those 2.000 people driving those cars at 20mph and I watching 3 feet away with my jet driving to the club, and they master to hook the turn lamps to the wrong side....

Enrique
Old 03-10-2005, 02:17 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crash video is definitely of Cessna Caravan or Grand Caravan. We operate a bunch of these, just hard to tell which from distance. Terrible shame, nice a/c. [:@]
Old 03-10-2005, 08:50 PM
Lowlevlflyer
My Feedback: (3)

Sorry to break it to you, but you are 100% WRONG!! Dont know who told you otherwise, or where you got your info, but this IS a Cessna Caravan... Trust me, I've got about 200 hours in the real thing, so I know what one looks like inside and out!
ORIGINAL: zachj1212

i know that it is not a cessna caravan. 100%
Old 03-11-2005, 05:08 AM
Blue_Moon_

haha lol.... bill said that he could snd me the vid, very nice! waiting for it!

how large is the file bytheway?

regards
Old 03-11-2005, 08:20 AM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Nic:

File size is 8,952 kb. The speed I got when I did the down load from vsustko22's site was barely 5 kb/sec. Took a LLOOOONNNNGG time to get it.

Bill.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:40 AM
bruce88123

You're right Bill. It took me @ 18 minutes to download thru company's hi-speed net. He must have a real dog on his end. FedEx operates something like 100 of those Caravan's so I am familiar with them even though I have not had the chance to fly one. They were just coming out when I lost medical. Excellent plane with many good features and very reliable. Still hate single engine night IFR though. [:'(]
Old 03-11-2005, 10:19 AM
luv to race
My Feedback: (1)

I often read the "crash thread" and never post here. But, in this case...It's truely sad that this guy lost his plane.

My question is like some others out there. In order to have the ailerons reversed the gentlemen would have to select the reversing feature in his radio and push the button to change his servo/servos direction...? If this guy is truely one of the best or better flyers out there, I don't see this mistake happening.

I say...pilot error (not being mean or anything). You can clearly see he gave it up elevator as the plane reached the inverted part of the roll on take off, pulling the nose to the ground... he then jumped on the down elevator to clear that mistake. Seemed like a ton of pushing and pulling...and it just go away from him..

Either way... what's done is done. Georgous plane my man. Where is the donation jar? get this guy some cash if he will build another one..
Old 03-11-2005, 10:51 AM
bruce88123

luv to race-

You don't have to reverse the servos at the transmitter. All you have to do is plug the aileron servos into the wrong extensions coming from the Rx(depending upon rigging). We don't know what the actual problem was, a lot of speculation (which is OK). The only apparent consensus is that it APPEARS that the ailerons were backward in operation. If true, he should have caught it in a pre-taxi ops check. THAT would be a sign of carelessness, but I'm sure we have all been guilty of that before. I will be the first to admit it. When flying something that big and powerful in that environment (crowd), safety MUST be first. A static display is better than an injured spectator. I'm just glad there were no injuries
Old 03-11-2005, 11:06 AM
William Robison

As a pre-taxi check I used to wiggle the sticks, making sure the surfaces all moved. Then I took off one time with the ailerons reversed, I had the wrong plane selected in the model memory.

I was more fortunate, I was able to land the plane safely.

But all it takes is a distraction at the wrong time.

Back on the down load speed. Go [link=http://www.docinsane.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=30]here[/link] and down load the AFPD demo. 12.571 mb, it finished the D/L into my machine almost before I could get my finger off the key.

It's a good video too.

Bill.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Blue_Moon_

Bill, i guess you were very lucky to made her to the ground in one pieace..! the same thing happend to me once, but i wasent that fortunate as you were. its very confusing, and before you realise whats happen you're probably already on the ground...

i always move the sticks a bit before take off to make sure they move the right way, and perhaps the pilot of that cessna also do that after the crash
Old 03-11-2005, 01:34 PM
bruce88123

I don't just verify wiggle, I verify correct direction because I fly a different plane with the same transmitter just about every day. Only one plane per day as a rule but decide the night before which one to prep for the next day. It's a mood thing. Sometimes I feel like a lazy trainer type and some days I want a screamer or an acrobat. Always the same transmitter so always the same FEEL and the switches are always in the same spot, don't have to look for them.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:48 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pluggint the wrong lead into the Y-harness will not reverse the aileron, at least not on any of my planes, the function must be reversed inthe radio. I beleive just as was stated, the wrong model was selected, which is entirely possible. Do you not think this guy feel sbad enough without raking him over the coals? Accidents happen, people make mistakes, that is WHY we must carry insurance. Thankfully no one was hurt and from the looks of it, no one was ever in danger. The tragedy of this is the loss of a very nice aircraft, a man's reputation tarnished, and skills questioned, over an innocent mistake which if we all fly long enough, with this type of equipment, will probably make.
BTW, it looks like a Cessna Caravan to me as well.
Tommy
Old 03-11-2005, 01:58 PM
William Robison

Blue:

The plane was a 60 size trainer, its response was slow enough I was able to recognize and understand the problem before it screwed itself into the ground. I would have lost a more responsive plane.

Since then I also check direction of movement, not just "I got wiggles!"

Bill.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:32 PM
Flyfalcons

Sure looks like a Carvan, I have a couple hours flying one.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:14 PM
bruce88123

It IS a Caravan. Who said he was using a Y-harness? It is possible he was on separate channels for each aileron. As I said on my earlier post."depending upon rigging' it is a possibility. It is also a possibility the wrong model was selected. I believe there has been sufficient guessing at this point.

Bruce
Old 03-11-2005, 03:17 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did not say he was using a Y-harness, I was repsonding to the indiviual who said you could reverse your ailerons by plugging them into the wrong side of the Y-harness. I don't believe you can, from my experience.
Tommy
Old 03-11-2005, 03:26 PM
bruce88123

If using a Y-harness, you are correct in that there is no "wrong" way. My earlier post refered to extensions (if you were referring post #40). Simple 1 lead extensions meant to make it easier to connect to the rx. In my "possible" scenario there would be 2 "extensions" which should be labled or marked in some manner to avoid mis-connection.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Spadinator

ORIGINAL: RCRAINMAN

LOL... that looks like an old Shorts, Spadinator. I work at the airport, and we always call the Shorts "flying refrigerator boxes."

As for the Caravan v. Raven v. Skyvan, all I will say is that we have a 2004 Cessna Caravan parked in our hanger at work. And although those two pictures look A HELL OF A LOT like the Caravan, I understand that there may also be some other plane that looks JUST like a Caravan with some other name. Alhough I have to say that I have never seen anything that looks like that with any other name where I work. ...Which is KHSV btw.

I'll let the flamers take care of the official name, though.
Peace out!

Oh, and this is a image of a TURBO RAVEN followed by a Cessna Caravan :
I thought Shorts too, when I was a ramp rat at the local airport we had several come in......we even had one that was piston driven!!!! WAS a beautiful airplane though..I hate to see the pretty ones crash!! Interesting bit of useless trivia though is the manufacturer is Shorts.....the model is Skyvan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.