Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

P51D Excalibur, Down

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

P51D Excalibur, Down

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 06:17 AM
Blue_Moon_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P51D Excalibur, Down

My first warbird, Second flight. Aileron "control ball" came loose... Couldent been worse. I crashed from high altitude and there were nothing i could do except to turn the engine down and wait for the crash. I tried to fly her the rudder/elevator way but the aileron made her go into some kind of spin (aileron were stuck in the worst position) when i touched the rudder control.

It went pretty much "right down" into the frozen ground, wich was stone-hard.

The engine sustained serious injury and so did the airframe. New cylinder is needed. The only "happy" news is that the wing is pretty intact. But i wonder if the fuse´is repariable, it really absorbed the energy in a fantastic way.

Over 100hours at the building table and what do you get? - Two flights (one successfull), around 7min in the air... This sucks, hard.

But i've at least learnt one lesson: Always build airplanes with dual aileron servos. The day after the crash i rebuilt my sportplane to dual aileron servos.

Pictures coming
Old 04-13-2005, 06:43 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TF Mustang 1/7, down

Ouch! Man that sucks []
Old 04-13-2005, 10:28 AM
Deadeye

Sorry to hear of your loss. Some more air time would've been nice.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:43 PM
rw Guinn

My I offer my sympathies.?
I had the same plane, large number of hours in it. on its 4th flight, my first solo with it, I stalled it, and dumbthumbed the elevator back. It of course did the P-51 version of a snap roll, and subsequent spin, all the way to the ground.
All I can say is that that plane looks very realistic spinning in...
Old 04-18-2005, 06:11 AM
Blue_Moon_

Pics....

[link=http://www.elldes.se/Niclasprivatamapp/thecrash/mustangcrash1.JPG]before the crash[/link]

[link=http://www.elldes.se/Niclasprivatamapp/thecrash/mustangcrash2.JPG]fuse[/link]

[link=http://www.elldes.se/Niclasprivatamapp/thecrash/mustangcrash3.JPG]fuse 2[/link]

[link=http://www.elldes.se/Niclasprivatamapp/thecrash/mustangcrash4.JPG]engine[/link]

[link=http://www.elldes.se/Niclasprivatamapp/thecrash/mustangcrash5.JPG]the wing1[/link]

[link=http://www.elldes.se/Niclasprivatamapp/thecrash/mustangcrash6.JPG]the wing, closeup[/link]

[link=http://www.elldes.se/Niclasprivatamapp/thecrash/mustangcrash7.JPG]sideview[/link]

[link=http://www.elldes.se/Niclasprivatamapp/thecrash/mustangcrash8.JPG]closeup2[/link]

[link=http://www.elldes.se/Niclasprivatamapp/thecrash/mustangcrash9.JPG]engine closeup[/link]

[link=http://www.elldes.se/Niclasprivatamapp/thecrash/mustangcrash10.JPG]the parts[/link]
Old 04-18-2005, 06:12 AM
Blue_Moon_

Repairable?!?
Old 04-19-2005, 09:32 AM
Balsa Master

Default RE: P51D Excalibur, Down

yea its repairable... though it wont be the easiest of repairs. dont suppose you have the plans for the wing ribs? that would make life easier for you.

i cant beleive the plane crashed..... the engine should have never started after driving in the snow
Old 04-19-2005, 01:29 PM
Milcent

Sorry for your loss. I just realized that your warbird is the same i am building : the Top Flight .60 Gold Edition. And i am asking myself since 3 weeks wether i am going to use 2 servos for ailerons or one as recommended by TF. I asked in the forum about kit building and the answer is that one is enough.
When seeing what happened to your bird i have now my opinion : 2 servos.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:02 PM
adstott

ORIGINAL: Milcent

Sorry for your loss. I just realized that your warbird is the same i am building : the Top Flight .60 Gold Edition. And i am asking myself since 3 weeks wether i am going to use 2 servos for ailerons or one as recommended by TF. I asked in the forum about kit building and the answer is that one is enough.
When seeing what happened to your bird i have now my opinion : 2 servos.
Do you meen one servo per aileron or two per aileron?
Old 04-20-2005, 09:56 AM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

Blue,

That was a good looking plane, congrats on a beautiful build.

Duke
Old 04-25-2005, 04:11 AM
Blue_Moon_

ORIGINAL: Dukester

Blue,

That was a good looking plane, congrats on a beautiful build.

Duke
hey thanks!

But she was a GREAT flyer i can tell you that! later this week im going to the hobbyshop to buy two more Hs81mg for the ailerons...

She was a real beuty in the sky. The monocote "chrome" finish made her look like a flying mirror.

i have already started the rebuild, pictures is coming if anyone wants to see
Old 05-09-2005, 04:45 PM
Blue_Moon_

bump
Old 05-10-2005, 05:38 AM
justrfb
My Feedback: (2)

Sorry for your mis-hap... Sounds like you are ready to go on the rebuild though. Let's see some pictures! Good luck...
Old 05-10-2005, 04:48 PM
campbec

Hi,

Sorry for the need to rebuild such a great looking model. I think your estimate of the original build time might be very conservative.[]

I don't know if this applies in Europe but here in Australia it is nearly always fatal to take a photo of a model prior to its' maiden flight. I also think you are doubly tempting fate given your avatar and what happens to Kenny each episode. Maybe the rats ate your aileron linkage

Good luck with the repairs.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 08-13-2005, 04:39 PM
Blue_Moon_

....a half year later....

Wow, its been awile since the crash! Lots of things has happend since.

* The engine is now repaired with a new cylinder, i run it yesterday

* The Fuselage is almost ready to cover again!

* The wing is also almost ready to cover!

It was/is a hard repair, but its worth it i guess!
Old 08-21-2005, 09:57 PM
mgruenba

Epoxy everything back together, and she will be in the air sometime within the next 10 years.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:48 PM
RC-Captain

* and the pics never came .

nice to hear you rebuilt the bird .
Old 08-28-2005, 09:51 AM
cougar347

Really glad to hear that the repair job came out well. For what it's worth, I have to question your statement about using two aileron servos. I have several large 3D type planes that I have many flights on, and they all use only one aileron servo. Trust me, they take a beating because of the way I fly. I have learned the hard way that metal gears are the only way to go, but again, only one servo/aileron is required, up to and including my Chip Hyde Cap-X. It seems to me that the most important factor in servo selection is getting the right servo for each application. I never scrimp on servos, and usually try to go over the recommended torque rating. You mentioned using HS-81MG servos on this plane. These servos work well, but I don't think I'd want to use them in a plane the size of yours. According to the Tower catalog, these servos only carry a 36 oz/in torque rating, and this seems a little light for an aileron servo on a plane as big as yours. Is this in accordance with what the manufacturer recommends for aileron servos?

I'm also wondering about what you refer to as a "control ball" coming loose on your aileron. Did you use ball links to connect your aileron linkage to the servo? That may not be your best choice for a fail safe connection. Ball links are great for throttle linkage applications, I don't think I'd use them for any of my control surfaces. I like to use the Sullivan metal connectors. They have several different types, all have worked well for me. Belts and suspenders on the control surfaces. Never had a failure of any type. Also check them frequently to make sure that they're sound and not broken in any way.

Please do not mistake the intent of my ramblings. I applaud you for having the tenacity to rebuild after your crash. I'm only hoping to give you some options to consider. Good luck and let us see the photos of the finished repair job, as well as a flight report.

Vince
Old 08-28-2005, 12:59 PM
Bill DCat

Cougar,
Per TopFlite plans, the 60 size mustang uses a single servo that services both alerons. It's mounted in the center of the wing. The control rods for the left & right aileron connect to the servo with a ball link connector. In font of the aileron is a bell crank for making the 90 degree turn. It's just a nylon ball link, and I can see how it could be fragile.

Many builders elect to mount a single servo for each aileron - instead of the just the one for both.

I have this same plane with the single servo and ball link. I've been keeping a close eye on the ball link for cracks or sloppines.

Bill
Old 08-28-2005, 05:30 PM
Blue_Moon_

Old 08-28-2005, 05:44 PM
Blue_Moon_

Hi all! cougar347, thanks a lot for your reply. Here's the pics =P Does anyone more agree on that the HS81 is too weak to service as aileron servo?

[link=http://www.elldes.se/Niclasprivatamapp/ateruppbyggnad/P8170003s.JPG]in the sunshine[/link]
nice picture...

[link=http://www.elldes.se/Niclasprivatamapp/ateruppbyggnad/P8170007small.JPG]picture 2[/link]
another picture

[link=http://www.elldes.se/Niclasprivatamapp/ateruppbyggnad/P8250007.JPG]The wing, in once piece![/link]
the wing is now rebuilt and got seperate aileron servos, dual hs 81. the flaps is equipped with (dual) hs81MG.

[link=http://www.elldes.se/Niclasprivatamapp/ateruppbyggnad/prob3.JPG]bad quality / rudder linkage[/link]
another problem the occured because of the crash. the nylon has cracked, and i dont know how to fix this. perhaps epoxy will do the trick?
Old 08-28-2005, 08:42 PM
LarryQ
My Feedback: (1)

First a truly heartfelt "SORRY for the loss"....but you do look like your ontrack to getting her in the air again!

Secondly, I was looking at your "Before" pictures as well as a few of the rebuild, and I must say that your pretty darn good with a Covering Iron!

I would think that the Crome would show any blemish like a sore thumb..but you made her look like she was made of metal and not wood and plastic!

I wish I could cover that well...

I always choose my colors based on how many building sins I can hide!

Too bad you live overseas..I'd be sending my birds and a few rolls of Mono over for you to Work your magic!

Kudos, and with your talent, consider making a few "How To Cover" videos..your work looks top notch!

Larry
Old 08-29-2005, 04:43 AM
Blue_Moon_

double post, sorry.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:47 AM
Blue_Moon_

ORIGINAL: LarryQ
First a truly heartfelt "SORRY for the loss"....but you do look like your ontrack to getting her in the air again!

Secondly, I was looking at your "Before" pictures as well as a few of the rebuild, and I must say that your pretty darn good with a Covering Iron!

I would think that the Crome would show any blemish like a sore thumb..but you made her look like she was made of metal and not wood and plastic!

I wish I could cover that well...

I always choose my colors based on how many building sins I can hide!
Too bad you live overseas..I'd be sending my birds and a few rolls of Mono over for you to Work your magic!
Kudos, and with your talent, consider making a few "How To Cover" videos..your work looks top notch!
Larry

Hi and thanks, but im not that good at covering :P it only looks that way hehe. i had already decided that i was going to go for chrome finish before she was built.
perhaps the "maqic" is that i use a lot of filler and is quite careful with the underwork before moving on to covering. in this case i was particular careful because i understood that the chrome wouldent hide anything. besides that, nothing special

have you tried the mono. chrome? you gotto try it yourself! its a a bit difficult to get it around corners, it scratches easily, and it sometimes gets a bit turbid if your iron isent completely clean. when youre done with the covering, it is nice to rub her of with a towel with some alcohol on.

i have also tried to rub the chrome surface with.. (hmm dont know the english word for it, normally its used to clean up ovens and metal surfaces. the direct translation would be) "steelwool". anyway, that looks very nice, the chrome gets "subdued".
Old 08-29-2005, 09:41 PM
LarryQ
My Feedback: (1)

Steelwool..is what it is here...exact translation.

I HATE..and I do mean HATE covering!

I always have an image in my head of what I WANT the results to be, but can never make it happen!

I have practiced, and practiced on various parts of scrap, and just can't get the hang of it!

I can always see my seams, and overlaps, and every single blemish just screams at me "You Blew it here BONEHEAD".

You mentioned that you spent a lot of time filling, and sanding, and I do believe that is the key.

I never tried Crome Mono...heck I can't get WHITE to go down without it looking like a Monkey did the job.

Anyway, keep us advised when you finish her up again..and get some pics up when you do.

Larry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.