Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

My dad always told me

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

My dad always told me

Old 06-21-2005, 09:17 PM
gjeffers

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: My dad always told me

hey Bill, my Dad always told me if i break it i fix it, i dont think he really understood
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23527.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	288034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41883.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	288035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71105.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	288036  
Old 06-21-2005, 10:16 PM
mlawrencemsc
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HEY PIF, let me start by saying today was a great day for flying the ole LT-40. My first flight was great I had a very very good take off with a slow rise to just above the tree tops I made a nice slow banked left turn and flew a pattern around the field about 6 or 8 times then made a slow left to lined up on approach and made a perfect landing right down the center of the runway no bounce or anything taxied down the runway, turned around brought the plane up to me and killed the engine. On the second flight the take off was again very very good up just above the trees slow left turn, brought the LT back up the side of the runway and about 40 yards past me the ole Saito 56 quit but I managed another good landing on the runway, I walk down and brought the LT back. The third flight is where it gets interesting. Again the take off was nice slow climb to just above the tree tops, made about 5 laps and decided to do a low pass and as the LT got closer I realized it was coming straight at me and I paniced and started to walk backwards (I've been told I can't walk and chew gum at the same time) well while I was backing up I must have give it down elevator because I nose dived into the ground.
That's not the the only LT that bit the dirt today my Uncle Ed had an LT just like mine, same engine and everything ,and his tail came off and destroyed his plane also. I think both of our engines are ok, I'll check them in a couple of days
to see. Here's some pics.
NOW I HAVE A QUESTION, IS THERE SOME KIND OF CLUB THAT HE AND I GET TO JOIN LIKE A CRASH CLUB?
OH AND SOMETING ELSE I RECIEVED A CHECK FROM SSI FOR ALITTLE OVER $14000.00 A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO. WOULD IT BE CONSIDERED PAYING IT FORWARD IF I BUY HIM A NEW LT-40? BECAUSE THATS WHAT I'M GOING TO DO. Thank you,Mike
PS This was a PIF airplane

Old 06-21-2005, 11:27 PM
cantw8tofly
My Feedback: (3)

hey bubba ....tonie says you can fly her lt 40 ........ but you got to promise not to do that to it

sorry bout your loss it was a sweet bird...... i want a super chipmunk one day

hope i have better luck
Old 06-21-2005, 11:28 PM
cantw8tofly
My Feedback: (3)

hey bubba ....tonie says you can fly her lt 40 ........ but you got to promise not to do that to it

hope i have better luck
Old 06-22-2005, 06:43 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: cantw8tofly

hope i have better luck
Oh, that's was brutal Tell Tonie I'll fly rings around here then I show her how to crash properly at the end only this time there will be even smaller pieces . OK I promise I will try my best not to do that.

On a side note. Have you received your graphics package yet from the PIF thread?
Old 06-23-2005, 06:22 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: funflyphil

the bad air went from ohio, through PA, into NJ.........

We've had bad air all stinking month here in NJ!! Wind picks up about noon-ish and that takes care of that because, as usual, it's nasty cross wind.

DS.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:11 PM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: gjeffers

hey Bill, my Dad always told me if i break it i fix it, i dont think he really understood
By looking at those picks I wopuld think he did not understand but ya never know.

Here in PA we have not had many days at all where there has been winds below 10mph which is really unusual. Cool thing is I find 10-15mph winds fun and at one point I found that crosswinds were a pain but now since learning sideslipping and forward slipping a few months ago crosswinds are now a blast. I often find myself sideslipping just to do it. What's really fun is coming in to land and having other members say you are too high, then forward slip down and land nice a slow. Some even come up and say that they were sure I would overshoot and never get it down.

Gotta love slips
Old 06-26-2005, 06:59 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

I often find myself sideslipping just to do it. What's really fun is coming in to land and having other members say you are too high, then forward slip down and land nice a slow. Some even come up and say that they were sure I would overshoot and never get it down.
I love doing that too. Unfortunately in Virginia, we don't have that many oppertunities.[]
Old 06-26-2005, 07:56 PM
gjeffers

hey guys, i am really progressing fast at this stuff(learning by myself) but im am not sure how to side slip or slip for that matter, sooooo how do i do it because i have a lot of crosswind landing and do pretty well but am not comfortable and my runway it only bi -directional and i have no choice,help me slip
Old 06-26-2005, 08:29 PM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: gjeffers

hey guys, i am really progressing fast at this stuff(learning by myself) but im am not sure how to side slip or slip for that matter, sooooo how do i do it because i have a lot of crosswind landing and do pretty well but am not comfortable and my runway it only bi -directional and i have no choice,help me slip
This maneuver is advanced and should not be attemped unless you are reeally comfortable using ALL of controls. So if you are not used to using rudder then practicing rudder turns kepping the wings level is a good start to doing this maneuver.

Second thing is there are to types of slips:

The Forward slip is for losing altitude quickly and mainly not having to deal with a crosswind
The Side Slip is used for counteracting a crosswind but will also lose lots of altitude quickly

First off practice what I'm going to describe up high with the plane going away from you that way you'll have room to recover and can see the slip. The key is to not worry about how the plane looks but to keep it tracking in a straight line in relation to the ground. When practicing, pick a spot out in front of the plane while flying in the crosswind and aim for it. Setup the sideslip and make sure that you are still flying right at that spot, Now take a look at the plane and you see it looks all weird but it's flying straight.

The first thing to remember is this maneuver will cause a lose of altitude quickly so power and elevator is needed to maintain level flight while practicing. It's not easy.

We will only discuss the sideslip as it is the most common maneuver that you can use in a crosswind next to the crab which we will discuss later.

To do the sideslip, use the rudder and point the nose into the wind but only enough to counteract the wind trying to push the plane sideways, the rudder will try to turn the plane so now you will counteract that turn with opposite ailerons. So if you are coming in from right to left and the wind is coming over your shoulder which means it's coming from the left in relation to the nose of the plane, then give the plane a little bit of left rudder and immediately give it right aileron. The trick is knowing just how much to give to each control surface and that all depends on a few things, one being the strength of the wind, the effectiveness of the rudder and the effectiveness of the ailerons. On most every plane the rudder is a very strong control surface so you will most likely find that you will not need allot of rudder but you will need more ailerons to counteract the rudder.

Now the one thing you must remember you are now cross-controlled and you stall speed has just gone up so now to control the decent the throttle MUST be used then followed by the elevator. Power is key here to control the decent.

Now right before the moment of touchdown, release both the rudder and ailerons and the plane will normally return to straight flight and also do not forget to hold the elevator and you should have by now started using the throttle to keep the decent even so now you are also backing off the throttle to allow the plane to stop flying.

This is a timing maneuver and requires good concentration and stick control. Fine stick movements are a must and you will be adjusting all the way to the ground in a gusty wind.

The crab is also a good maneuver and much easier to do but can still be hard to get setup.

It's easy, you must know ahead of time where the wind is coming from, you will actually fly into the wind but only enough to keep the plane tracking straight over the ground so it will look like the plane is flying sideways. Hold this until just before touchdown nd use the rudder to straighten the plane. Again timing is the key

This video shows a great many sideslips being done both upright (The red Extra) and inverted (later on in the video) Both the in cockpit views and the rudder views show what the plane is going through

http://www.krcs748.com/FAI_WGP_2002.wmv
Old 06-26-2005, 09:34 PM
gjeffers

thanks Bill, i appriciate the time and effort in your answer, i will study this and master it! i am pretty efficient at flying and this is just what the doctor ordered(need to practice rudder anyway). i have been doing the crab already even though i didnt know what it was called,i am the only one who flys in my town of 1500 people and i learned all here on rc universe, so you guys are doing a great job, ive been at it for 16 mos now and really feel i fly pretty well and love this hobby, just wish i had some other people to fly with.

Thanks