Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Fuel Tank Causes total loss of control!!

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Fuel Tank Causes total loss of control!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Arebeck
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Tank Causes total loss of control!!

Second flight for the Profile 65" OMP Yak ARF with a YS 1.20 today. All was well, the YS was running great, I started doing some snap rolls, attempted some hovering (nose heavy right now) , when all of a sudden the engine stopped and I lost all control - nothing was moving. Luckily I was in level flight so the plane went into a shallow dive into the field. Damage was moderate, broken landing gear, prop and the wing hold downs(?) broke off the rear of both wings. Wing tube is bent but everything is repairable.

Now for what happened. I had replaced the 10 oz tank with a 16 oz tank this past week. As I looked over the plane, I thought the the tank might need to be tighten up a bit or another nylon electrical tie should be added - but(always the big but) I thought that I would check it after the flight. When the engine shut off , something separated from the plane and floated down to the ground. It was the piece of foam that was between the tank and the fuselage. When I got to the plane, the tank was near by but separated from the plane and the radio was not functioning. After a little investigation I noted that the switch was off. I had installed a Dubro Kwik switch , which is a push pull set up. I had it set for in is off and out is on. What happened is that the tank came loose and went directly back and pushed the switch in, shutting off the radio!! I has the switch installed on the top of the wing behind the tank on the left side of the plane.

Lessons learned. If it doesn't look right it isn't. If a combination of events need to occur for something bad to happen, they will. The Yak is a tough plane.

Ron

Old 07-23-2005, 06:26 PM
KaosDriver

Default RE: Fuel Tank Causes total loss of control!!

Glad it's repairable Ron. You are right about the "if it doesn't look right, it isn't." I've kicked myself a number of times for wishing I had built something different, because something just bothered me. But I ignored it and got bit later. We really can't be too careful, especially between flying sessions when we have the time to double-check things. Murphy's Law reigns supreme in this hobby. Get'er back in the air. Sounds like a well-built plane. I was just doing some reading on them this a.m. Good luck! Mark
Old 07-23-2005, 06:51 PM
Capt. Nexstar

My Saito was shaking the otherday, I thought it was the idle and adjusted it took off realized something was bad wrong came in and all 8 screws were lose plus one was broke, I got lucky, sorry you crashed.
My switch is outside, better this way you think?
Old 07-24-2005, 10:17 AM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

Sorry about the crash. I always install a push pull switch so "in" is on and "out" is off and if i flush mount it i arrange it so on is back and off is forward. I had a friend who had a push pull switch on a plane the same way you had yours....well he let another friend of ours hand launch it and you can imagine what the outcome was. Ever since we all install them push on pull off.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:16 AM
CJKling
My Feedback: (1)

With them installed as push on, I always bumped them and ran my rx battery dead....lose-lose situation?
Old 07-24-2005, 01:23 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend

Yeah, I have the same problem with occasionally draining the battery due to bumping the switch on. I figure that not being able to fly the plane due to a dead battery is much better that crashing it due to the switch being bumped off on take off or launch.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:55 PM
ICE_MAN

or just use a quick charger from your buddy??
Old 07-24-2005, 05:32 PM
upnflyin

All of mine are installed with push to on position. When the switch is pulled out to off I put a wood clothspin on the pin under the knob.
Sometimes I have to cut the clothspin down a little to fit correctly, but its a sure safety item.
Al
Old 07-29-2005, 07:40 PM
Arebeck

Thanks for the advice. FOr this plane I will set it up where in=on. I will look at my ohter planes to see if this needs to be done. This is the only time that the in=off has caused me a problem. I will definitely be aware of any potential issues with the in=off configuation.

Al- that is a good suggestion about the clothes pin

Ron