Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

First Mid-Air

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

First Mid-Air

Old 07-24-2005, 06:50 PM
Lucky Dog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Mid-Air

At our clubs Warbird Fly-In yesterday I witnessed my first mid-air (I've been flying for 10 years). Unfortunately, it corresponded with "MY" first mid-air.

The smaller Stearman and my .90 Eindecker tried to occupy the same airspace. Mid-air impact tore the right wing off the Eindecker, and busted up good the Stearman. Both of us were fooled by the dissimilar sizes into thinking they were a lot further apart. We both looked at each other and pretty much said "How'd that happen? I was cool with it, and so was he. Just one of those things....

Very scale looking to boot. In the Stearman pic you can see the Eindecker in the background. He trash canned his. I've given mine to a friend to have and rebuild if he so chooses. I'm gonna miss my Eindecker, great flying plane. Maybe the SR Batteries EIII is next.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35553.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	300992   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43219.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	300993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72705.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	300994  
Old 07-24-2005, 07:32 PM
gumhead

Default RE: First Mid-Air

wow!

Sorry for the loss dude...
Old 07-26-2005, 11:40 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been flying for 5 years and had my first mid-air a few months ago. Curious thing was that one week later, the very next time I flew, I had my second mid-air.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:21 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

The SR Batteries EIII is one sweet bird. I'm glad you were able to get over it. It's a lot of fun, though, to try to have a mid air when you and someone else are trying to hit each other.(combat) I have never had success at it though. I have only had mid airs when I was flying like normal.

Okay Rryman, post if you want to.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:30 PM
Sukhoi_Madness

ORIGINAL: JPMacG

I've been flying for 5 years and had my first mid-air a few months ago. Curious thing was that one week later, the very next time I flew, I had my second mid-air.
HAHAHAHAHAHA...

Sorry for the loss man... But that sounds really funny...

[8D]
Old 07-26-2005, 07:06 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Been there, done that. You should have called your post LAST MIDAIR. That will prevent it from happening again.

When I had mine, there were only 2 planes in the air. Go figure....

Safe Flying!
Old 07-26-2005, 09:30 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

You should have called your post LAST MIDAIR. That will prevent it from happening again.
That won't help. You should keep it first mid-air. (reverse psychology)
Old 07-26-2005, 09:37 PM
air mail rcu

How about FIRST and LAST MIDAIR.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:16 PM
khodges

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I kinda know how you feel; it sucks. Had my first one (only, so far) last summer. I was flying my Kadet MkII and I hit/was hit by, a 1/4 scale Cub. His G-38 with an 18 inch prop trumped my .46 with a 10 incher. We hit prop to prop at about a 20 degree angle, and my Kadet turned to instant balsa confetti. It was spectacular, my plane literally exploded. His wing root broke and the cabin was shredded, but the strut held the wing on and he managed to pancake in with no crash (landing) damage. His is now repaired and flying again.

I was sort of a newbie pilot at the time, he's flown giant scale for 20 years; we both thought the same thing you did, that there was space between us, but the size difference is deceiving. Thing is, we're best of friends now, hardly knew each other then; he's given me a lot of help getting into giant scale.

We just fly our planes on the same channel now, so only one of us can be airborne at a time , just in case.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:45 PM
air mail rcu

Sorry about your plane. Tough way to make friends. I had a couple of mid-airs. I'm still friends with everyone except one. No excuse for that one. I was teaching someone to fly way away from everyone and everyone new what I was doing. This man flys right into my plane. Say what you like you still have to be awear of what other people are doing.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:00 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who was that Ken?? I wondered why you needed a new plane last fall. Never had a midair but me and Chris have gotten uber close a few time goofing around.[8D]
Old 07-27-2005, 10:23 PM
HighPlains

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One or two mid-airs? Not even worth mentioning until you get past twenty.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:17 AM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TWENTY!!!! Jeech..
Old 07-28-2005, 02:30 PM
khodges

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What's up, Vicman? Long time no hear from. That mid-air was with Byron, the big Cub he has. That was last June ('03). My receiver and servos were lost for almost a year until Steve crashed one of his bipes into one of the cedar trees out in the field and knocked them out of the tree. We actually found the servo tray imbedded in his plane when we climbed the tree to retrieve it. Weird, huh?