Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

The Arrow's ultimate demise

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

The Arrow's ultimate demise

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 05:26 AM
kennyandannie
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Arrow's ultimate demise

Lee,

Jake will learn, we all do.

Albert,

Thanks for the blessings, I need 'em, ol' buddy.

Jake,

Good luck with your decision, I mean that seriously.

You guys gotta' take a look at my Ultimate pics, that'll make your day, or turn your stomach, one or the other.
That pile used to be a Goldberg 30% Ultimate, 1 week old!

Ken
Old 09-16-2005, 06:20 AM
StubbornSwiss
My Feedback: (4)

Ken

You got a link to your Ultimate crash thread?

Blessings!

Albert

(Hey bud..... we can all use all the blessings we can get. It's just that some of us don't realise/acknowledge this).
Old 09-16-2005, 06:27 AM
kennyandannie

Try this,

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3361971/tm.htm

It is in this crash pictures forum, under 30% Ultimate crash.

Ken
Old 09-16-2005, 06:40 AM
StubbornSwiss

Just saw the pics.

Ouch...!

Blessings!

Albert
Old 09-16-2005, 06:56 AM
SpitfireMKI

Aerobatixkid,

Wow you're a nasty one ! Just to put a perspective on things, I just survived a year and a half of unemployment, my financial situation lays in ruins, and NO, I don't have gobs of money to just throw at my planes. I never have, a friend sold me my Vailly Thunderbolt for $500.00, that's a $3000 plane for chump change, my P-40 was a basket case when I got the kit for a trade on a PT19. If it were not for my friends, my hanger would be very bleak. I recklessly threw more than $2000.00 into my hobby three years ago for a H9 Mustang 1.5 & a GSP FW190, I lost both planes within 10 flights due to a lousy spark plug boot on the RCS engines. So I do hurt when my planes pile in. Give me a break !

What Jlevin did here is standard RCU B.S., it's always something else other than dumb thumbs that led to the end of another plane. The difference in this case is he got caught telling a story and we called him on it. Bummer.

Part of the problems with this world is people have a hard time taking responsibility for their actions. In this country it has led to law suit after law suit. You know, if you stick your hand in the spinning prop and it cuts it off, that's your stupidity, not the prop company, not the engine company, not the radio, not the plane, yet this kind of thing happens, get the picture ?

As we have stated, Jake has potential, better than average, and I believe some solid advice has been provided to help further him along. One thing is for sure, you won't find him on here telling stories again, I hope, Better out flying than typing anyway.

Sometimes I am very harsh on students that I train to fly. You have to be, that way they will not make the same stupid mistake. A stupid mistake in models will cost $$$$$ and in full scale flying, it will cost you your life. Many students I have instructed changed to another instructor because I was tough, it was easier to go to one that let them get away with stuff, glad to say they're lousy flyers. The students that hung in with me I'm happy to say are some of the best in the club, some will surpass my abilities within a year or so, I can't wait, I will be able to look on them with great pride when they do.

Jake, pick yourself up and shake off, get a sporty mid/low wing, we might be tough but we all help each other, so come out, show a little respect, say thanks when deserved and have some fun flying.

S1

#@^!*!^@$@%!^! Damn Retracts !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22069.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	324707  
Old 09-16-2005, 07:02 AM
kennyandannie

So Spit,

Don't hold back, buddy, tell us what you really think!!

Ken
Old 09-16-2005, 07:09 AM
StubbornSwiss

ORIGINAL: SpitfireMKI

The students that hung in with me I'm happy to say are some of the best in the club, some will surpass my abilities within a year or so, I can't wait, I will be able to look on them with great pride when they do.
S1
Happy to admit that I'm one of those that "hung in" with you.

Hey dude... did I ever tell you you were a great instructor?

THE BEST OF THE BEST!! (sounds like TopGun movie ad )

And yes, I'm still learning.... everyday, every flight, from everyone (from some people you learn what NOT to do, and what NOT to say, and what NOT to......

Blessings!

Albert
Old 09-16-2005, 07:48 AM
SpitfireMKI

Ken,

Thanks for the vote of confidence ! Communication that's the answer ! since we have a Top gun thing going......"rules of engagement are written for your safety and for that of your team. They are not flexible, nor am I. Is that clear?

Albert,

My favorite British educated, Nigerian/Swiss, self taught heli guru, full scale retired pilot, model flying buddy, what can I say ? but ...

" Don't screw around with me Maverick. You're a hell of an instinctive pilot. Maybe too good. I'd like to bust your butt but I can't. I got another problem here. I gotta send somebody from this squadron to Miramar. I gotta do something here, I still can't believe it. I gotta give you your dream shot! I'm gonna send you up against the best. You're going to Top Gun !

You have far too much fun with this hobby !, hey bartender, I'll have what he's having !

S1

Were those really her legs ?

Name:	Us52880.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	324713  
Old 09-16-2005, 07:59 AM
SpitfireMKI

Oh yeah, Albert

I agree 100%, everytime out I learn something new, face a different wind, a different sky etc. Landings are always challenging regardless.

S1
Old 09-16-2005, 08:48 AM
aerobatixkid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spitfire.. What makes you think I was throwing direct heat at you?
Old 09-16-2005, 09:10 AM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks Mike for saying that I am one of the better pilots. Can I fly your Zirolli P-40 again? I promise I will fly it lower than 1000 feet this time. I have to admit that Mike was one of my instructors. Talk about HARD @$$. For some reason Mike always used to mess up my trims switches when I was flying. HEE HEE HEE. My other instructor made me solo in 10-15 MPH winds. All I can say is that it has made me a better pilot. I am always learning. It is a constant process. I have my good days and my not so good days.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:28 AM
SpitfireMKI

I did not assume it was just me, your statement is broad though and that would indicate you include me. I do not think anyone was trying to down play losing $400.00, you are the one that brought that up.

Being pissed off over your crash doesn't mean you need to come onto RCU and tell tall tales, for those I prefer to search out Samuel Taylor Coleridge......

" I pass, like night, from land to land; I have strange power of speech; That moment that his face I see, I know the man that must hear me: To him my tale I teach."

S1
Old 09-16-2005, 10:35 AM
SpitfireMKI

Doc, who said I included you ???????????????????? hehehehehehehehe ! We are all students and will never know all there is to be known about the magic of flight.

I agree, I have bad days, and not so bad days, those great days are few and far between. I think our little scale show this year was a good day, I don't think I've ever set P-40/Kittyhawk MkIa (Alpha Kilo 634 to Albert) down any smoother, a crosswind landing I was very proud of, it really made my day when Bill described the landing in detail, as he knew all that went into it. One of those 'textbook' deals. Fun stuff. The WACO was cool too.........

S1
Old 09-16-2005, 12:33 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jlevin,

If you're still here, my condolences on your loss. My further condolences on how your narrative was received. No one here apparantly appreciates "poetic license" and what it takes to make a good story better.

"If a spectacle is going to be particularly imposing I prefer to see it through somebody else's eyes, because that man will always exaggerate. Then I can exaggerate his exaggeration, and my account of the thing will be the most impressive." -- Mark Twain

I learned to fly on a field that was the top of a hill. The prevailing approach had some weird eddies and up/down drafts where there was woods, a dirt road, more woods, a pond, more trees and finally an upsloaping runway! On approach, you get a lift from the dirt road, a drop over the trees, a further drop over the pond, a slight lift from the trees again, and finally the field, with a bit of lift, but the runway was sloped All this on the leeward side of a hill with eddies caused by that. We'd tell visitors to either bank it in sharp inside the tree line or bring it down fast and then bleed off speed on the flat. Invariably, someone would line up a quarter mile out and eat branches or dirt. For many years I had a twig in my flight box as a lucky piece from the time I landed a plabe that had both the top and bottom wing panels pierced from a tree branch strike that I managed to keep in play and land otherwise intact - with witnesses!

I very seldom saw a low level pass from that approach. That's because we knew it was there. If The Bowl is a known trouble spot, it should not have been an issue the second time you flew it. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I've rekitted two planes to the point that they were unsalvagable. One so bad the engine was in five pieces and the foam wrapped, shrink wrapped battery pack seperated into three pieces! (That was a mid-air that seperated the wing from the fuselage and I only take half the blame for that one). Lord knows how many times I've had to bend down more than once to recover a plane from a hard and or unscheduled landing. Some have taken me as long to repair as they did to build, and I don't mean ARFs. I consider that part of the learning experience.

Have low expectations. Consider every plane expendable and every safe landing a bonus. Life is more enjoyabe that way.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:54 PM
kregan

I can't remember his name, but my flight instructor was Awsome!
He seemed to shadow my every move.

Old 09-16-2005, 04:02 PM
SpitfireMKI

" What is this that come upon us ?, from the cloud and mighty blue, emotion; an angel of grace, strength; a fearsome opponent yet tempered with lust , sound; a graceful warrior so elegant, this eagle of the crown"

Who said what about what ?

S1

K: I think we must have had the same chap......
Old 09-20-2005, 01:29 PM
Montague

Jake,

One thing the guys here have hinted at, but I'll say straight out:

You can (mostly) tell the guys who will be good pilots from the ones who never will be by a couple of simple things.

Good pilots, and guys who will be good pilots say "oh, I screwed up" when they crash. First and formost they blame themselves, and learn from the crash. When you ask "why'd you crash", the answer is usually that they made a mistake of some sort.

Good pilots also know when they're pusying the limits, and are prepared for the results.

The guys that keep wrecking planes, never get better, and have a reputation for being a hazard always have an excuse for everything. "it was the wind". "I was hit". "something broke" "sun spots" "global warming" "aliens" whatever. But it's never their fault.

Bad pilots also think they can fly anything, and don't want to listen to advice from people who've been there.

Right now, guess which group I think you're in?

And, fwiw, I agree that you've progressed very quickly for a newbie, and that's a good thing. But you're still a newbie. You fly just well enough that I was confident that your craters would mostly be out in the weeds rather than in the pits and parking lot. But there is SO much to the hobby, and you know so very little about it. Get a good second plane and fly the wings off it.

A fool knows what he knows. A wise man knows too what he does not know.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:55 PM
StubbornSwiss

ORIGINAL: Montague

A fool knows what he knows. A wise man knows too what he does not know.
Hey Kirk, I didn't know you were quite the philosopher!

Well said!

Blessings!

Albert
Old 09-20-2005, 02:12 PM
Montague

Just because I can spout them doesn't mean I always manage to live by them.

(I'd have included the attribution, but I forget where it came from. Not me though).
Old 09-21-2005, 06:43 AM
SpitfireMKI

My dad always told me "A fool and his money are soon parted" is that so true in this hobby or what ?

Kirk: you hit the nail old buddy, love the crater thing Hah !, just grinning !

Albert:

Doc:[&:] FULLSCALE !

Kelly: Watch out for that tree !

Jlevin: Sorry to see you won't join in the fray

All others: [:-] "Watch the skies"

S1

Here's a pic I have on my desk at work that I have turned into a Powerpoint document, the words read

"All failure we learn from, Discovery" Bruce Dickinson from "Kill Devil Hill"

that is something we live by in the UAV world.

My squadron at the show and a pic of our Vectors

Name:	Xv65609.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	327136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62022.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	327137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61895.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	327138  
Old 09-21-2005, 07:27 AM
StubbornSwiss

ORIGINAL: SpitfireMKI

Jlevin: Sorry to see you won't join in the fray
Yeah, it's a pity the young chap abandoned his own thread! Anyway, it's become quite the Free State thread

Actually, maybe we ought to start a thread dedicated to FSA - you know, just to share thoughts, experiences, etc., etc.

Mike... what are those "humps" on the backs of those vectors? You guys don't have airborne radar do you? Or is that information classified?

Blessings!

Albert
Old 09-21-2005, 08:01 AM
pshimm

All I know is that this hobby is a very humbling one. As soon as you think you're competent, a new situation will challenge you and bring you down to earth (often literally). But that is exactly what makes the sport interesting. Every time out you learn something. As Mike has said, you wouldn't do this hobby for 20 years (or whatever) unless you continue to be challenged and to learn. The key is to get up after falling. When you fall, fall forward.

-Peter
Old 09-21-2005, 10:15 AM
SpitfireMKI

sssssshhhhhhhhh, Those humps are for hiding our beer

I agree, let's just keep this thread going, why not eh ?4

Doc Pete,

I assume that's you ? Great attitude ! Sorry to hear of your rough time as of late, maybe take a step back and hammer the trainer for a while ? I really need to get my LT40 Nighthawk back out, now that it's cooling down and the squeeters are gonna go away, flying at night is like the first time you flew, butterflies and all ! [:-]

Funny, with my own models, I do just what you said, "fall forward" but at work, man you really have to dig deep to keep going, I have fallen backwards so many times, only to have my boss bolster my confidence and help me back up. He understands this hobby....errr...job very well being a hobby type as well as a scientist.

One day at a time, one step at a time......

Remember all: "All failure we learn from, discovery"

MT/S1
Old 09-21-2005, 12:57 PM
pshimm

Yeah, it's doc Pete! I just stumbled on this thread and to my surprise all my flying buds are blogging away--pretty cool! I think taking a step back with a trainer is a great idea. Anyone have one for sale? Or you can just let me try it out and when I crash it I'll pay you for it!

See you guys at the field soon--been real busy.

-Peter
Old 09-21-2005, 01:18 PM
doggscube
My Feedback: (1)

Peter,

It's too bad you're busy, the club needs another one of your kit-built trainers on the flight line. That LT-40 was beautiful. I saw that there's an LT-40 hanging from the ceiling at Hobby City, it may just need a receiver.

-Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.