Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

GSP Katana

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 05:58 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSP Katana

During a flat spin,the aircraft went into a super tight spiral.It was a blurr with a bang on impact.First I thought the radio went dead or a srevo jammed,but it was impossible to duplicate a spin like that with the control sufaces,maybe something busted in midair?...
Checked out radio at crash site,whatever was still plugged in,still moved.nothing looked like a dead give away for the cause of the crash.Fuse non existent from the rear cockpit forward.One wing destroyed.the other salvagable.tail section intact,but stab bent on aluminum joiner and penetrated rear fuse.Elevator servos moved on mounting plate and splintered tail section.Gas tank collapsed and ruptured.Firewall non existent.Engine OS 120 surpass,backlate,carburator and intake destroyed.prop and spinner firmly embedded in hard soil and shattered.
The cause was figured out after going thru my field box...The springs and wing bolts were not installed prior to this flight.A potentially dangerous and unacceptable oversight on my part.will now have a checklist,before every flight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42862.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	330249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28461.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	330250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12979.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	330251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45228.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	330252  
Old 09-27-2005, 09:05 PM
drumbum

Default RE: GSP Katana

houston!!! we have a problem
Old 09-27-2005, 11:18 PM
outacntrl

wow.... she's tore up from the floor up [X(].. i did the woops forgot something too ounce...it hurts..[&o]
Old 09-28-2005, 03:12 AM
Sukhoi_Madness

That is a pretty complete crash [X(]

Don't often see that much lost... Although I think you may be able to fix up the motor judging by the photo's...

Matt
Old 09-28-2005, 05:28 AM
Digger44
My Feedback: (4)

Man, bad day, Sorry for your loss.
Bob
Old 09-28-2005, 10:49 AM
nitro wing

I am pretty sure the engine will be okay,replace the obvious and then see how it feels..
ORIGINAL: Sukhoi_Madness

That is a pretty complete crash [X(]

Don't often see that much lost... Although I think you may be able to fix up the motor judging by the photo's...

Matt
Old 09-28-2005, 12:11 PM
trumpet20
My Feedback: (4)

Hello:
The Katana is the plane I am looking at purchasing. Would you advise which motor, servos, etc. you have installed on it.
Thank you.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:31 PM
nitro wing

It is a great plane,very aerobatic but too heavy for 3D.I flew mine with an OS 120 surpass leaned to max and 30% heli.It pulled it nicely,huge vertical with a graupner 15x8 prop at sea leavel.No hover,but torque rolled twice before falling out.Knifeedge and point rolls are very pretty.tumbles beautifully and spins well.I love it.will buy another.I ran bb standard servos all around except for 100 oz on rudder.If you are gonna fly it hard a yz 140 saito 150/180 or OS 160 2 stroke would do better,but make sure adequate servos 80 -120 oz are used.omit the hardware/tailwheel. that comes with the kit,it's barely 60 size stuff...mine balanced without added weight with the 120.If you like to really load it up and putz around,then a small gasser may go in there also,but I really would not recomend it.Inspect the covering if you can at the store.it's china kote and does not reshrink well.After 2 years the covering was still pretty good on mine,just dont leave it in the car in summer.The tail has an aluminum joiner/tube that is somewhat sloppy and you may end with a slanted stab if not careful.mount the wings and then glue the stabs on with 30 minute epoxy and support or add weight to align to wings.It's not a #1 kit,but it is very affordable and with a few precautions,it can make for a great strong aerobat.If you fly more scale like you will aslo like it.she can fly slowly and shows well in the air.

Just realized,we're almost neighbors..just 3 hours apart,kamloops eh? been there lots,but never flew there.You know lester from lesters hobbies? I think he stops in there for the fly's
Old 09-28-2005, 11:23 PM
rogue-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

That really bites. Sorry for your loss.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:27 AM
Broken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How odd- when I signed on a few minutes ago that plane was the picture of the moment.. Shame---
Old 10-01-2005, 01:09 AM
nitro wing

Broken..
How true.I submitted the pic a few weeks ago,without response.Then yesterday I got an email from RCU that it was selected for a cover photo.It went down a few days ago,and I really miss it.good thing it is an affordable ARF and a replacement is quite obtainable.
For now I am focusing on a 1/4 scale Giles 202,the katana has become a donor to help finish the Giles.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:15 PM
SU-13

hi nitro wing , sorry about the plane. if you want another katana i got one for sale on the rcfcbc website.
its on rcfcbc.com