Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

How to find the wrackage ?

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

How to find the wrackage ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 09:45 PM
HuaChu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to find the wrackage ?

I lost my 1st scratch build 2 m pattern plane 4 weeks ago somewhere outside the field. We have been searched twice and ends up nothing.

The plane went down seems due to battery failure. The plane was flying iddle at the end and stall eventually, and the went 90 degrees straight down into nowhere. I guess the estimated distance to the crash site is not good enough. That is one of the reason that we did not find it. Also, there are too many woods, swarmps and tall.....grass...sigh!
Right before the plane went down, the size of the plane ( 2 m long) in the air is as small as 2-3 mm. Can anybody give me a good estimation of the distance ( how far the plane away from the pilot) ? I remember the direction where it went down. If I can get a better estimation of the distance, I may be able to find it.

Thanks so...much

Mike Shih
Old 07-19-2006, 10:24 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: How to find the wrackage ?

Go exactly 457 paces to the east, and start digging.
For real, how do you expect us to estimate how far out your plane was? If your 6 foot plane was only appearing 2 to 3 mm to you, then you might want to start looking in the next county. You were flying it way too far away from you. Keep looking. Scour one area per day until you find it, or eventually give up. Moving around without a pattern is a sure way to miss it. Make a circle (or rectangle), and work into it until you've covered it completely, then move to another, and another until you find it, or give up. It might show up in the winter when the vegetation goes dormant, but by that time your stuff will likely be useless. Sometimes it happens. Saddly enough. What I've found, though, is that planes generaly tend to go down farther out than people first estimate. This is because we typically fly a larger pattern than what we even realize on the ground.
Good luck.

Edit:
Actually, upon re-reading your post, I think I can help. It's right there in black and white. You should look in the swarmps of nowhere--that is where it is. I know that because it went down at a 90 degree angle. This means there was no drift induced by wind (at least not in the left to right plane, or it wouldn't have looked like a 90 to you). Now, there could have been drift in the fore and aft plane, so I need to know the exact wind speed and direction before I can be definite, but I really think you should get your waders on and look in those swarmps. Watch out for the alligators, though....
Old 07-19-2006, 10:33 PM
2slow2matter

Gotcha--I think I found it. I think it's in the belly of this beast. I think I'd just buy another one if it were mine, but that's just me.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19371.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	493923  
Old 07-20-2006, 12:26 AM
aussiesteve

Sorry to hear about your loss - I assume that it was a simple fly away and it sounds like it was pretty well trimmed and a straight flyer.

Start by looking at twice the distance that you think it was, even in close this can be elusive.
As was mentioned in another post - do a grid search - work the area into easily definable chunks and walk lines as close together as you can to cover the whole area - Don't forget to look up - maybe a tree monster has it.

Always make reference to landmarks when searching - start by standing in the same spot as when you last saw it and look to the exact spot that you last saw it (Ideally at the same time of day). Also look exactly behind you for any other distinct landmarks that may assist to line up the area later. You may be surprised at the number of distinct markers that you see - maybe a tall tree or a rock. Start by travelling as close as possible in the exact direction that you saw the plane - every time that you have to deviate from a straight line - get yourself back on track by using some of those land marks that are now behind you to line up your track. I would guess at the size that you mentioned that the plane is probably about 1000 - 1500 feet away (1/4 mile or so) - think about how small they look when you fly up high.

Another way that I once found a lost plane was I got a friend who had a camera attached to his Helicopter to do a grid search for me. Ironically we found that plane in some long grass about 10 yards from where we were standing - after about the 10th flight (we never thought to look so close).

Either way - never give up - that way you can prolong the pain and eventually your partner (wife etc) will let you buy some more gear.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:59 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We used a real airplane doing a search pattern and guided us to it using a cell phone. BUT, you gotta have a friend with an airplane. Turns out it wasnt any where near where we thought it was.
Edwin
Old 07-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Throttle

If it isn't where you think it is, it has to be where you think it an't.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:49 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You should scan a larger area, making a pattern... ( a bit ironic,sorry) with 2 or 3 friends helping you, you will find it quickly, presuming that it is still there.

Enrique

Old 07-20-2006, 08:30 PM
HuaChu

Thanks so much for all the suggestions!!
The plane lost control and wondering around for a sec ro two in the sky and that is why it ends up so far away from the field.
1500 ft sounds like good estimation ( I guess). I don't think I can still see it if it is over 2000 or 2500 ft.

Me and my friend plan to search it again next weekend, and we are going to do the pattern search as suggested besides, I am asking a help from a club member who owns a camera plane.
Hopefully, he would like to bring it over to the field.
I mark few landmarks ( tall trees as reference from the direction I saw it fall.
I hope I can find it and will post a picture here.
Thanks

Mike Shih
Old 07-20-2006, 08:45 PM
agexpert

Good Luck and....Gesundheit!
Old 07-22-2006, 05:25 AM
JD380
My Feedback: (133)

ORIGINAL: agexpert

Good Luck and....Gesundheit!
I caught that!
Old 07-22-2006, 08:21 AM
casniffer

A plane with on-board video would make quick work of the search.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:49 AM
VictoryRoll-91

Bring bright colored ribbon with you, and mark where yov'e already searched. (Use the grid pattern)
Old 07-25-2006, 11:23 AM
CrashPro

Go to Home Depot,..pick up 25-30 illegal aliens,...take them out to the field, tell them the first one to find your plane gets 50 bucks.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:46 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

No no no...it' not Home Depot it's Wal-Mart

Later,
Tim
Old 07-25-2006, 12:12 PM
CrashPro

I've found Home Depot illegals to be a bit more energetic than the Wal-Mart variety...
Old 07-25-2006, 03:06 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Why not using unemployed people? they speak a far better english than the "aliens" , althought they are less fit.

Enrique
Old 07-25-2006, 05:50 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

A good way to start the search is with a friend and a two way radio. Have your friend walk in the direction you last saw your plane and let him know on the radio when he is where you think the plane went in. If there is tall weeds or anything between you and the crash site, have him carry a long pole so that you can see him. Have him wait where you told him to stop, then walk to him. That is probably the best place to start the grid search. This is what I did when I lost a plane in a corn field. When I walked out to my buddy, I almost stepped on the plane.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:01 PM
HuaChu

Thanks a lot guys !!
All suggestions are well taken.

We did the grid search and went through most possible area within 1500 ft around the crash site last weekend and still not found it. ( the camera plane was not be able to fly due to transmiter problem acccording to the owner) So, we went back to the flying field and remarking the line where it went off and asked a club member flew his plane towards those tall trees ( the plane went down behind those tress ) after we went back to the suspect crash site, so we can re-verify the line and trees. We were suprised to find out those tall trees are way further back in the thick woods area ( 1700-2200 ft), where I used to doubt about that the plane would went that far. Anyway, we are going into the big woods area this weekend. Hopefully, I have the luck to find it there.

Mike Shih
Old 07-27-2006, 07:58 PM
lloyd a

I think you had better re-think the distance that you can see a 2 metre plane from, watch them fly at your club and then walk out 1500 ft and now watch them fly, by your info supplied and that you think it went down behind the trees you had better open up your search to about 4500 ft and you will probably fine it
Old 07-27-2006, 08:47 PM
skiman762

you might try plotting a gps course from where you were when it went down to where you last saw it before it when out of sight plot a line out even a few miles that way once your searching you will in the general area
Old 08-01-2006, 12:24 PM
MOODOGS

Dont feel bad. I lost my Sig Kadet 40 last moth to somone flying on my channel. The wing span was the same as yours along with knowing were it went down. After 6 missions to find in the az. desert, I recuruited 5 guys, and set a pattern, it turned up 1 mile exactly out from the flying field, 100 yards east of were I thought it went down. We were thing 1/2 mile out, but alot further than it was. Keep looking! There,s alot of doe in there to be retrieved. Good luck
Old 08-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Tinkr32

If your estimates of the viewed size before it went down are nearly accurate, then you have an estimate of the distance at hand.
Use the definition of radians, milliradians (such as is used by artillery personnel).. a milliradian is and angle defined by one thousandth of the radius of a circle. The length of the arc on the circumfrance would be one thousandth of the radius. see it yet??

So if the wingspan of your plane was 2 meters, then it would appear to be 2mm wide at a distance of 1000 meters. one kilometer..
or if your interested in feet. then convert it to feet using 1 foot = 0.3048 meters . so 1000 meters is close to 3281 feet .
If you use the 3 mm estimate as another point to start. then your 2/3 of the distance or 2188 feet.

and one sees that Math can be usefull sometimes too. LOL
Old 08-03-2006, 09:04 PM
HuaChu

Thanks guys, very valuable Info !!

We failed again last weekend. One of the factor is that we may not search it far enough (only within 2800 ft, <<3281 ft).
However, the woods are just too... thick out there. Maybe I should wait till this Fall. But, not much stuff I can use even though I find it then. I temporary give up the search at this moment.

Mike
Old 08-04-2006, 11:32 AM
manks

The best advice I can give you is go to a hobby store and buy some balsa to rebuild.

You may find the plane, what ever is left will be pretty useless pretty soon.

Sorry dude
Old 08-05-2006, 11:42 AM
marzo91
My Feedback: (57)

15 years ago, I lost a trainer type plane. I just fueled it up right before it broke away. It was about one third throttle at a climbing attitude. We looked for it with no luck in a full scale Cessna. My name wasn't on the plane so I waited 3 months until deer season started, then I placed an add in the local paper. A couple of hunters had found it the day before. It flew about 16 miles (as the crow and plane flies) and went down in a pine plantation. I glued up a few small parts, charged the nicads and flew it another 2 years.

P.S. Now, I put my name inside the plane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.