Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

So What Happened?

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

So What Happened?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 04:57 PM
bbbair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So What Happened?

Oh my what a day!

A friend and Chief Instructor was to maiden a recently acquired Hog Biplane – this bird was a thing of beauty done up in a very nice purple with pink and white panels, an ASP 61 provided power and it was winding up to 11.2 K on the ground.

He had gone over the plane carefully, all of the control linkages were good the wings were angled properly, double checked the balance etc. He replaced the dead battery and checked out the range with the engine running – everything looked good. [8D]

The day was warm and clear with just a hint of wind so we fired it up and did some taxiing runs – a little sensitive but well within acceptable limits – he applied the throttle and eased back on the elevator and the Hog lifted off without any hesitation … then the plane dipped left – he corrected, it pitched up - he applied power fought with the controls and then powered down as the Bipe dropped left and disappeared into a thicket of trees… so what went wrong? [] [&o]

The plane actually was stuck some 30’ up in a Cedar, as I was the youngest person at the field (I’m a tender 50 years old) I volunteered to climb up after it… did you know that Cedars were never meant to be climbed [:'(] … I was able to reach the plane with a bit of grunting and pass it down.

Damage was extremely light – a couple of holes in the upper wing and the stanchions were pulled out of the wing – that was it!! He didn’t even break the prop!! [X(]

We examined the plane back at the field and still could find nothing wrong – on an impulse I took off the Aluminium spinner / hub to check the prop size – the prop nut was only finger tight! [X(]

It would appear, that once he applied power in flight the crankshaft just spun inside of the prop…with effectively no power the plane stalled - the bottom line – check EVERYTHING!!
Old 10-08-2006, 07:39 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: So What Happened?

Sounds like in addition to the loose spinner, you might have been a hair tail heavy.

Brad
Old 10-08-2006, 08:02 PM
Arrow IV

BB,
No power on a bi-plane... Not good, that bad boy has a boat load of drag as you know and with no power I'll bet you (or whomever) were right at stall speed and bkdavy is probably right maybe a little tail heavy. If its balanced sounds like stall re-stall if you know what I mean.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:23 AM
Dr1Driver

then the plane dipped left – he corrected, it pitched up - he applied power fought with the controls and then powered down

The jury is in on this one - STALL due to insufficient airspeed to fly.

Bipes have a lot more drag than mono-wing planes. The take-off run should be longer, and the pilot should be SURE the plane is at flying speed before pulling back to lift off.

Dr.1
Old 10-09-2006, 05:09 AM
drunkenbushman

Man sorry to hear about your bipe, lucky the damage was minimal and you go yaself out of the tree ok as well!
Old 10-09-2006, 05:11 AM
drunkenbushman

It makes you feel really forry for the WW1 pilots being just kids and having to fly those tough little biplanes.

While at the same time making sure that an ememy plane didnt jump on his tail.

I never really knew how hard bipes where to fly.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:30 AM
Dr1Driver

I never really knew how hard bipes where to fly.

Having flown a 1/4 scale Fokker Dr.1 for many years, I'm not sure I agree with that. SOME mulit-wing planes are harder to fly than SOME single wingers. Some are *****cats, too. There are simply a few things you must be aware of when you fly them. The most important is a biplane usually has more drag than a single wing plane. It will need more power and a longer take-ff run to get airborne. It will also require more power on final to maintain flying speed. It may require more speed through maneuvers. It may be harder to maintain your orientation than with a single wing plane. More experience is usually required to enable the pilot to realize this in his mind and recognize this in the air.

Not all biplanes are hard to fly. Not all monoplanes are easy to fly.

Dr.1
Old 10-09-2006, 08:12 AM
Arrow IV

Ain't that the truth. In my experience most of the bipes are harder to fly than single wings. I love it when some of these guys go out and get a great looking Christen Eagle or a Pitts and are all excited, untill that bad boy breaks ground...

In fact I would even say that in a matter of importance: what CG is to monos, airspeed is to bipes. Translation: Bipes are flyin bricks!!!
Old 10-11-2006, 06:41 PM
bbbair

Thanks for the understanding comments guys; my friend has the plane repaired and is checking out all other possible details...

The Hog should be ready to go by Saturday - but the current forcast is for rain [&o].

Sooner or later that plane will fly! [8D] and I plan to be there to witness it!