Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

My beloved 4*60

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

My beloved 4*60

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 07:39 PM
parrthd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My beloved 4*60

well it FINALLY happened. FIRST flight of the day!! My first kit build from around a year ago. I'm not saying that i was shot down BUT here's the story.

A newer guy was at our field ( he just so happens to be on the same channel as me [&o] ) and unfortunately we don't have a transmitter impound or frequency foard. We've NEVER had a problem until today (I think). Anyways, this new guy was having problems with his transmitter, he borrowed my ohm meter to find a shorted fuse. After getting my meter back, I announced my channel was going hot. He looked up, acknowledged this, waved, and said "go ahead mine's off." So I'm up flying around the circuit a few times after 7 or 8 minutes flight time, i took a hard radio "hit," the port wing snapped up extremely hard and went nose down after going into a slight knife edge. I chopped the throttle and seemed to have control again. I made the circuit again and tried to land without my circuit to bleed off airspeed. So i had to come around again. At the end of the circuit, i went to turn back for final. The throttle went wide open, went into a loop, in the loop it did 2 rolls, came out of the loop, and into the ground at full throttle. That's right boys and girls, didn't even have throttle control!!! After the initial "chock" wore off, I turned my transmitter off and went to retrieve my plane. ( we can actually drive to retrive a downed plane ) upon returning to the line i noticed that the "new guy" was putting the back plate back onto his transmitter. ( i guess he changed the fuse that was blown ) After checking the plane i found the battery still had over 5 volts, transmitter had over 10 volts, crystal still in place, antenna still (looks) good, all surfaces controlled just fine. ??????? I can't say that i got shot down for SURE BUT all the different things in the equation doesn't equal out to the way they should! I did ask the guy about it later but he said the crystals were removed while he was working on the transmitter. Anyway, i know the plane can be repaired but i don't know if or when i will. Just a few pics for everyone's enjoment!!!

I can also say that if the situation would have been turned around i'd at least have the decency to say " i think i shot you down, i'm sorry, i'll help you get the plane fixed, i'll fix the plane, i'll buy the plane..........etc etc etc"
BUT that's coming to an end next weekend. THERE WILL BE A BOARD AND IMPOUND implemented by next weekend. If anyone has any *****es or complaints about it, then they can find somewhere else to fly.

One last thing, i've been flying this plane there for well over a year and i've never had a "hit" or glitch or interference of any kind that i know of.

So what's your opinion???
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76701.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	541728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34453.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	541729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag91455.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	541730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36533.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	541731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf52189.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	541732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ri69419.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	541733  
Old 10-15-2006, 07:44 PM
RVM

Default RE: My beloved 4*60

I hate that this happened to you. That plane flew really well. My opinion is that you should have taken the cost of the plane and all that stuff outta the guy who shot you down (assuming he did). I think the plane is repairable, from the pics, but it is up to you whether or not it is worth the effort.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:12 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on your description, I would say that you took a hit.

I'm not one to place blame for a hit as well have a hit problem where I fly at both ends of the landing approach. If you are below 50 feet off the ends you will get weird things with the plane. Now we have a good idea why as we are surrounded by 12 cell towers, a tv station, the PA State Police Headquarters, PA Fish and game commission and a few other state commisions. Most days we are in good shape and dual conversion receivers will normally be just fine

I had something happen with a student I trained last year a couple of months ago. He was one of the better students and learned pretty quickly. The real problem is it made him cocky and as far as he was concerned he was the best pilot that ever lived because he could fly his trainer better than anyone ever could. He also became the guy that when he took off you landed because he would just fly around, mainly at full throttle with no regard for others. Well, one day I was up with my 30% Ultimate, he took off so I called landing, he was standing less the 20 feet from me and he acknowledged my landing intentions so here I come on final approach 25 or so feet above the ground at the end of the runway and here he comes in the opposite direction full bore with his trainer and center punches me, thoroughly destroying both planes.

Needless to say I was less than happy and in an unusal move on my part, I vigoursly let him know about my dis-pleasure. I got all kinds of excuses as to why he did it but in the end he replaced everything that was destroyed and paid for the engine repairs and one last thing since I am the safety officer and chief flight instructor, he was told he needed to be back on the buddy box

I have not seen him since but I hear he took someone elses 33% out that was sitting in the pits while doing the maiden on his replacement plane and got removed from that club as well

In any case, did you see the crystals out of his radio. If he meant module that is one thing but if it was a true crystal like a JR6102 has in the back then I seriously doubt he removed it and it's easy to tell as they have that little dab of glue on them to hold them in. If iot was a radio with a midule then you will never know for sure. My guess is he left the module/crystal in and when he replaced the fuse and reassembled everything and installed the battery, the radio was on and as they say,, the rest is history

The plane does not look to bad and I feel for you and am sorry that it happened. Without any proof it's hard to expect someone to help repair or replace the plane.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:26 PM
parrthd

My guess is he left the module/crystal in and when he replaced the fuse and reassembled everything and installed the battery, the radio was on and as they say,, the rest is history
since i didn't "actually see" the crystal, i can't say for sure that it was out. going one step farther, i can't say for sure that it was in. that's why i can't say for sure he shot me down but like i said before, there's too many things about he equation that doesn't add up.

Without any proof it's hard to expect someone to help repair or replace the plane.
you're exactly right about that, however, IF he did shoot me down, all i would've liked is 1. an explanation, 2. an apology, 3. an offer to at least help repair it.

But as things sit now, we'll never know and IF he did shoot me down there will be a chance that he'll shoot someone else down!!! that's the part that REALLY scares me. If he did it and not realized what he was doing would be one thing but to do it not once but twice...........there's often kids of all sizes running around our pit area on any given sunday afternoon and if that plane would've been near the pit area when it took that hit............i cringe to think what COULD'VE happened.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:35 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

It hurts to see a kit-built 4*60 destroyed like this because I own one and the pics you posted do give me the creeps. It's going to be tough to prove the liable party, and it might be more painful than just picking up your pieces and start re-building again. It's good to hear that you will have a frequency board implemented soon. All the best to ya!
Old 10-16-2006, 12:36 AM
Sukhoi_Madness

That's a real shame... My first kit build was a 4 * 60 and while I'd proably laugh off one of my ARFs being shot down I'd be after some serious retribution if my 4 star was killed like that...

Looking at the photos I think it's totally fixable...

To help make the repair on that wing easier chop out one bay on each side of the ends of the wing... This will also improve its aerobatic performance.

Assuming you still have the plans from building the Airplane it should not be too hard to fix at all.

Strip the covering off the fuse and you'll find all the ply parts will be easy to assemble together again with a bit of reinforcement.

Good luck!
Old 10-16-2006, 12:39 AM
RVM

I'll be happy to come over one evening and lend a hand (or finger hehe) if you want to rebuild the plane. Just let me know.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:31 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Geeez......

I am slowly building my first kit plane, in a very long time. It is a 4*60. I would be so sad if it got shot down!

You guys say this is repairable. But seriously? It looks to me like the whole fuselage would need to be rebuilt all over again?
Old 10-16-2006, 01:52 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

That is why it is a good idea to keep the ply and balsa cutouts in the kit to use them as templates, to reproduce parts for repair purposes
Old 10-16-2006, 04:57 AM
Sukhoi_Madness

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Geeez......

I am slowly building my first kit plane, in a very long time. It is a 4*60. I would be so sad if it got shot down!

You guys say this is repairable. But seriously? It looks to me like the whole fuselage would need to be rebuilt all over again?
To knock out a box section 4 star fuse with a scroll saw and a set of plans would probably take an experienced builder half an evening with one eye on the game and a beer in his left hand...

It's hard to tell from the photos but because the tail feathers look in good order and most of the parts appear to be there I'd probably just put it back together and recover it, only I'd take the opportunity to bash it a bit into something different... A twin maybe...

I've found that flying a rebuilt airplane for the first time is just as cool as flying a brand new one for the first time.

In reality it's a total waste of time and resources to fix it as a new ARF costs next to nothing and would probably go together quicker but it depends what you want out of the hobby...

[8D]
Old 10-16-2006, 08:36 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

I highly recommend the impound lot idea. There's a reason so many clubs use it. No one should be working on a transmitter that might be on the same channel as someone in the air. Either do it at home before coming to the field, or wait until there is no-one in the air on that channel. You say he was putting the backplate back on his transmitter? As has been discussed elsewhere, repairs to a transmitter (other than replacing manufacturer stock parts, such as battery, or possibly the antenna) is prohibited by Federal Regulation. Now you know why. If he was searching around on the circuit board, who knows what connection he might have contacted causing the transmitter to power up.

I'd have a long talk with him about his safety conciousness and courtesy as a minimum.

Brad
Old 10-16-2006, 08:58 AM
RVM

His courtesy to other fliers and concern for safety are non-existant for the most part.

ORIGINAL: bkdavy

I'd have a long talk with him about his safety conciousness and courtesy as a minimum.

Brad
Old 10-16-2006, 10:41 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuses don't short. They are already a short circuit. When they go bad, or blow, they 'open' or open circuit, thus no current flow through them.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:22 PM
parrthd

I'd have a long talk with him about his safety conciousness and courtesy as a minimum
ultimately i have to wait for the landowner's word (remember, we're a private club non ana sanctioned) wo whatever the result be, i have to respect his decision.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:35 PM
rhowardsta

parrthd....You Four* looks very close to mine! (or what it used to look like) Right down to the black on the top in front of the canopy! Well mine went in two weeks ago today. Not as dramatic as yours but just nosed over, no control what so ever.............We determined either a bad switch or possible receiver issue,sending it off to be checked. I have rebuilt already, had engine running yesterday! I think she'll fly again next weekend! here's a pic after rebuild..........
Attached Images    
Old 10-16-2006, 03:20 PM
parrthd

mine won't be flying within the next month or so. i'm in the finishing stages of a gp super skybolt so the 4* has a backseat ride for the time being. i might have a new favorite plane when this skybolt takes to the air so the 4* may be a "winter" project.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:04 PM
Arrow IV

P,
Hate to be the bad news guy but sounds like you got "shot down", bad news is can't prove it. Worse news is, either that greenie new that he did it or he didn't know. So that leaves stupid or dangerous... take your pick! Sorry about the loss.

Bubba,
That is the most professional description of telling a guy to "F Off" I've ever heard of!!! Nicely done.