Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Bad day camping & flying!

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Bad day camping & flying!

Old 12-30-2006, 02:14 AM
sticktickler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad day camping & flying!

Here is a rather funny crash story for you all I was flying a 60 size plane at a AMA field near a campground I often camp at in the summer. Anyway during one flight my engine died and the wind came up kind of fast and blew her into the adjacent campground behind a tree line. I herd it hit something and upon inspecting the crash sight there was my plane lying below a very nice new 5th wheel camper. It had punched a nice 6ā€¯ hole in the side of it and landed right next to a very nice new pickup truck that it did not hit. The guy was sleeping inside the camper as I had to knock loud to wake him the plane hitting it did not.) When he came to the door I told him what had happened. Needless to say he was not pleased with me but soon calmed down after I told him about the AMA insurance most of us have. Now the funny part, I noticed he was the only one parked in that last back row near this tree line most likely to avoid people and children from damaging his very nice camper and truck. If he was up closer to the lake with all the other campers it would have never happened. One other funny thing he told me is you should be glad my wife has left for the store sheā€™s a whole lot meaner than me and would chew your @#* was glad I missed her then. I did $1600.00 damage to the camper it was fixed in less than two weeks and thank God for the AMA insurance. The plane was fine only the muffler, spinner and prop broke.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:54 AM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bad day camping & flying!

Sounds to me like it was a rather "GOOD" day.........Think about it....you went deadstick with no control and crashed your bird with very little damage to the bird. Bonus! It could have been a lot worse.
You poked a hole in a brand new camper, that the AMA took care of..Double Bonus!! It could have gone thru the camper and hurt that guy sleeping.........

and finally.......You didn't have to deal with the dude's wife....TRIPLE BONUS!!! Women get really grumpy when you wreck their new stuff!!

You were lucky my friend...........very lucky..count your blessings!!![sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 12-30-2006, 09:05 AM
sticktickler

Your optimism is most appreciated one could say your fuel can is half full lol.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:27 AM
RickShaw739

You were lucky alright!
Your lucky it was a AMA field.
AMA isn't so cheap...but well worth the price.

I count my blessings every time I land at my home field. (or crash in the woods or fields [>:])
I live in a rural area of Kentucky. I've got a couple of neighbors in a mile or so of me, and thats to close for comfort when anything can happen.

Five years ago I had a Piper Cub just fly off into the sunset. [X(]Three years later I got a call about my plane in a farmers tree. "Yeppers it was it." Had my AMA # inside the fuse. Really glad it did no damage, don't think AMA would have covered it...flying from home field.

Saw a kid flying an electric one day near a beach on Lake Erie. I thought "oh-boy he's asking for trouble" ... yeppers...crash!
Right into a pretty nice looking babe laying out on the beach.
"Yeah it hurt her!"

If you fly it your responsible for it !
Be careful people. That plane is a deadly weapon! And it's in your hands!!! [:-]