Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Worst Thing You've Ever Crashed?

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Worst Thing You've Ever Crashed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 10:28 PM
WLJ
My Feedback: (108)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Worst Thing You've Ever Crashed?

I think I know that plane!
ORIGINAL: Robotech

My Hangar 9 Sukhoi. The horror, the horror!

Old 04-03-2007, 08:17 AM
DEFORCER

i didnt crash it, this is way before i flew my first rc plane, i was 5 years old and i was at the club and this is when everything was gas powered, anyway this guy is flying a B-25 Bomber, i thot this thing was the coolest "toy" i had seen in my 5 years on this planet, well hes doing awesome flybys dropping little metal things representing bombs, and he decides to do a loop , well he was a bit overconfident and attempted to one 50 feet off the ground, he dived and pulled up and got upside down, on his downward approach the plane doesnt have enough room to pull up and crashes it straight into the ground, thats when i dropped my first and definantley not my last F-bomb, my dad fortunantley didnt hear me, i went up to the pilot and said "sowwy about your plane mister" and he says "no, its okay, it was my friends plane" and he starts laughing.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:26 AM
buildflycrash

ORIGINAL: DEFORCER
"sowwy about your plane mister" and he says "no, its okay, it was my friends plane" and he starts laughing.
That is funny!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:56 AM
stinger40

ORIGINAL: buildflycrash

ORIGINAL: DEFORCER
"sowwy about your plane mister" and he says "no, its okay, it was my friends plane" and he starts laughing.
That is funny!
Yeah, it is!!!
Old 04-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

Yes, indeed you do. I had well over a hundred flights on it when the left wing panel let go during a medium speed snap, mid field, 30 ft high in front of the large Sunday crowd of pilots and spectators. You could have heard a pin drop for about 30 seconds. It did a nice flat spin into the woods. Still miss that plane to this day though I replaced it the next week with a H9 Edge. I was looking at a Sukhoi that was for sale in SC a few weeks ago and the wife said "here we go again!" We still talk about the trip out to NC to get the Sukhoi. I had sold the GT80 that was in it and put in a DA100 a month before it's demise and someone had stolen the JR8103 that came with it at the field.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:02 PM
stinger40

ORIGINAL: Robotech
someone had stolen the JR8103 that came with it at the field.
That's what I hate more than a liar.... a theif. [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 04-03-2007, 05:03 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: stinger40

That's what I hate more than a liar.... a theif. [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
But it can have its humorous side too. someone stole my TX case (old JR BIG suitcase type) out of the back of the truck and left a $3500 pattern plane, the TX case had field equipment in it, i guess they thought they were getting a nice camera.

kc
Old 04-03-2007, 06:02 PM
DEFORCER

wow that sucks, next time lay some epoxy on the handle unmixed and when they grab it they smear it causing it to dry, just kidding
Old 04-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

There were only a few of us at the field the day my xmitter was stolen. We were inside our building for a few minutes messing with the mowers and my radio case with the xmitter, tach, battery tester, spare crystals and servos was on a table outside out of view. I went to get the radio to fly and the whole case was gone. At first I though the guys were playing a trick on me but sadly it turned out otherwise. Our field is in a city park and I guess someone came up on a bike and grabbed it because you can hear the crunch of gravel when a car pulls up. Called the cops and he took my name and acted as if I was keeping him from his dinner or something. I added it all up and it came to about $800 and of course my homeowners has $1000 deductible. Grrr! [:@]

My case was on the table by the impound board. We were inside the building.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37907.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	656377  
Old 04-03-2007, 10:33 PM
BUDMAN27

When I was 17 my pops gave me a 1963 Chevy Impola. It was custom painted baby blue. I took care of that car like it was solid gold. Of course it was my first car. Well to make a long story short. My buetiful 16 year old girlfriend and I were at a store and dumb me. I exited to wrong way out of the parking lot and wam. A car hit us in the back fender. Of course the cop gave me the tickit for exiting out the wrong way. So that was the wost day of my life. The car was not hurt that bad but my pride was . Thats my story and I,m sticking to it.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:38 AM
DEFORCER

good thing this thread is called worst thing you ever crashed ^^^^^^^^
Old 04-04-2007, 07:52 PM
BUDMAN27

I kinda thought that someone would say that but most people here are pritty cool.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:33 AM
DEFORCER

i hate cops
Old 04-06-2007, 06:02 PM
bluestratos

I lost about $3000 worth of a Sig 1/3 scale Space Walker with remote start and 4 cyliner OS 4stroke. I was using my new 9ch Futaba when the plane suddenly went straight up and then straight down... no control! When I looked at my Radio screen it was off. Plane, electronics and engine were totaled. Turned out I had a bad radio, it was supposed to turn itself off if 10 minutes went by without stick imputs, but it suddenly just started turning off any old time. I was able to replicate the problem after hours of testing but when I sent the radio back they said nothing was wrong with it and sent it back! Problem is that you had to work the radio for hours before it would suddenly shut down. Futaba refused to acknowledge my complaint but I was able to get them to act when I came across their booth at a trade show. I just spoke up loud enough for the entire crowd to hear about my problem. They decided to replace my radio right away.. funny huh, lol... They actually sent me back a used radio but it work flawlessly from that point on. Of course I had to eat the $3000 loss for the plane.

Randy
Old 04-06-2007, 07:07 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Randy, i had a Futaba TX smoke (yes smoke came out of it) while flying back in the early 90s and compleatly destroy a Tiger 60, sent it back to them for repair and they said their all to common 'the RX ceramic filter was bad' and sent me a completely different model TX with the RX and the servos still cracked and damaged, i tossed it in the trash at the LHS and have flown JR ever sense.

kc
Old 04-09-2007, 06:53 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

quote]ORIGINAL: KC36330

ORIGINAL: -EXTRA-

i personally dont know about yall but i like my stradegy,when i crash its either bad connection or shot down
yeah I've seen hundreds of folks like you, personally I'm man enough to say when i f'd up and have no shame in it, why people want to always find something to blame other then themselves when it's blatantly obvious to everyone but them is beyond me.

kc

[/quote]

So what's your point? If you came here to trash the way others like to do this hobby, then you're in the wrong forum. I have a sneaky suspicion that the wind isn't the only reason why you have the field to yourself a lot. We all know now that you're the root'nest, toot'nest pilot that ever held a TX.....all I ask is for you to respect others who don't claim to be Gods' gift to model aviation.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Krist

The worst crash for me was my second plane, a H9 pulse. That was the first plane after my trainer, so it felt like a sports car to me!!! I fly at a slow full scale airport, so we always have a radio on to listen to what the full scale are doing. I'm flying when suddenly, I see a cessna 172 comming in on it's final approch. He didn't use the radio at all, giving no warning of his intentions, and he was white on a cloudy day, hard for my spotter to see. In the club, if we hit a full scale, our flying carrer (and life) is basically over. So, I have no choice but to fly the airplane low right over the pit area. It BARLEY misses the frequency board and wind sock, and then dissapears behind the club house. I hear a crash, so I run behind to find my airplane totaled in the middle of the road!! Luckly not a busy road, but If I ever get my hands on that pilot....
Old 04-12-2007, 10:12 AM
wiz310

I was flying my scratch built 33% pawnee yesterday, when for absolutely no reason it dived straight into the ground from 150Ft.
No one else flying, extremely remote area (literally hundreds of Kilometers from another transmitter) battery checked out at 4.95v, all leads plugged and checked........buggered if I know what happened. drove straight in at full throttle........... returned to original balsa and ply form........except smaller. [&o]
sure am going to miss it.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:27 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Here's mine.
Man did that leave a mark. Or, now I know how one of my planes feels when it crashes.
No actual plane involved , but if it wasn't for R/C planes, this would never have happened. That and I know how you guys love to laugh at other's misfortunes.

So for our airfield, I buy a trailer to be used as flight operations, knowing it has a leaky roof.
No big deal, since the weather is nasty, and I can't get to the roof repairs now, I'll tarp it and work on the insides.

Last night come home with a bunch of stuff I picked up, and rather then leave it outside, I decide to toss it in the trailer.

Note to self # 1 The trailer is really dark inside, no matter how bright it is outside, when it's tarped.

Note to self # 2 If you don't turn on the lights inside the trailer, see note # 1.

Note to self # 3 If you don't follow numbers 1 and 2 above you will not see all the crap you have laying on the floor.

Note to self # 4 Check your prior list of notes to self and you would remember the bungee cord stretched across the aisle.

Note to self # 5 Skip all of the above and it will get ugly.

So, in a hurry, figure I'll just run the stuff into the trailer. In darkness, and forgetting about the bungee cord, I trip.
Both hands full, I manage to take one stumbling step. Well all that does is propel me even faster to doom.
Since both hands were full, there was no slowing down of accelleration, nor any cushioning affect about to happen.

I nail the corner of one of the benches, it minus the cushion of course. Right dead square on my left nipple.
Body rebounds slightly.....just enough so I slide to the floor, but impacted part of body tries to hold on to the corner.
Body wins the fight over nipple, causing it to drag itself across the pressed board constructed bench.
At same time impact knocks the breath out of me. So there I am, laying on the floor, trying to decide whether I should breathe, to get the wind back, knowing from the screaming pain that it's going to hurt even worse, or try and hold on without breathing until some of the pain goes away. You'd be amazed how long you can go without breathing if you want to.

This morning I have a lovely V shaped incision oh about 4 inches or so long, disecting my left nipple, my ribs hurt like all get out and my coughing or sneezing isn't helping matters.

So there you go, a plane caused crash, and how your bird must feel when it goes in.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:54 AM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

My Grandfather is an old control liner and he gave me some good advice once.

"Don't fly anything you can't stand to loose. You can fly and fly and fly but one of these days your going to crack it up!"
Old 04-22-2007, 10:09 AM
surferdude

1966 Austin Healey!!!! The way I drove it, it needed a parachute. Definitely the demise of that.