Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

3 strikes and i think this plane is out... :(

Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

3 strikes and i think this plane is out... :(

Old 06-24-2008, 09:55 PM
fastmaxxcooper
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 strikes and i think this plane is out... :(

I've had this plane sitting around for almost a year now and all the radio gear. A few weeks ago I decided I wanted to start flying. after reading around maybe a goldberg husky wasn't the best trainer plane [X(] 2 rebuilds and 3 serious crashes later I think it maybe take a bit longer to rebuild.

First crash was not so serious. After losing it over the tree line ( some sand dunes weren't the best first place to fly) I lost it in a tree until it rained and the people found it in their back yard. It had to land in the highest tree of course so I couldn't get it haha. The motor got pushed right through the firewall.

the second crash was a little more serious. I went to go in for a low pass over the landing strip at the AMA field and I overreacted and the plane snapped towards the hill leading up to the landing strip. I was able to rebuild the wing nicely and all the ribs so it was strong (or so I thought)

well tonight I was at a huge grass field graveyard set-up and it was dusk. The part of the wing I repaired held up great but I must have fractured the wing farther down and didn't realize it. As I pulled up from a dive, a third of the wing tore off, ripping the aileron servo out and sending the plane into a death roll to the ground.

where it broke apart. this was farther down the wing, closer to the fuselage.

the servo ripped down the covering and took every rib as it went. This will be harder to rebuild I'm thinking.

the fuselage took a lot of damage. I'm thinking I'll rebuild it. maybe use it to practice covering so I can finish my electricub.

I think I'm gonna go buy a trainer now. I'd say it was my fault that the plane crashed in the first place. I've never flown before and I don't think I focused enough on servo throws and balancing the plane. Each time I was able to get a good 4-5 minutes of flight though!

I bought a pitts monster but I don't think I'll be flying that until I get more experience.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:24 PM
LeeHop

Default RE: 3 strikes and i think this plane is out... :(

Fastmax -
You really gave it your all, buddy. Try to find a club near you - ask at the local hobby shop - you would really benefit from being on a buddy box for a few flights.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:47 AM
aussiesteve

Hey Fastmax
Oh my goodness - what an "Oh so common" scenario you have presented us

You are well on the road to recovery (or addiction - whichever way you wish to put it)

You hit the nail on the head - The Huski (which is a good second plane) probably wasn't the ideal choice for a first trainer and the balance, throws, flying location, knowing what to inspect and how best to inspect it and quality of flying instruction are also very important. (If the plane landed in someones tree in their back yard - I would say you probably had a very lucky escape).

Get that trainer, get a good instructor and you will be ready for that Pitts before you know it.

Using the Husky as a practice for repairing and building is a great idea - it is all too easy for us (me included) these days to just throw it away and go buy another ARF.

Welcome to our addiction - I'm guessing that with your guts and determination, you'll probably be one of the "old hands" at flying and building before we can say "*** was that?".

Old 06-25-2008, 07:09 AM
fastmaxxcooper

yeah i'm hoping I'll catch on quick. I'm ordering a tower trainer with an electric set-up and I think I'll fly that until the husky is back together or I feel comfortable with the pitts. I post rebuild pictures as I go. I'm thinking tonight or tomorrow I'll have all the covering off to have a look at the damage.

out of all the crashes though I only slighty smushed a lipo pack and stripped out the rudder servo. better than losing all my gear.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Bob Mitchell

>> I think I'm gonna go buy a trainer now. I'd say it was my fault that the plane crashed in the first place. I've never flown before and I don't think I focused enough on servo throws and balancing the plane. Each time I was able to get a good 4-5 minutes of flight though! <<

I'm on my third Alpha 60 fuselage, and haven't "crashed" yet.

The first one lost it's firewall 5 minutes into it's maiden flight. The second survived about 25 flights, only to have it's owner twist and ankle and fall on it carrying it back to the pits after an uneventfull deadstick. Oooooof.

bob

Old 06-25-2008, 07:01 PM
thewrap

That's sad. I've never seen anyone try to fly by themselves for there first flight. But I guess he won't try that again.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:48 AM
ply2win
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: thewrap

That's sad. I've never seen anyone try to fly by themselves for there first flight. But I guess he won't try that again.

I have seen it first hand because it was me It is an amazing feeling the first time the thing takes off. I had an Avistar with an O.S. 40LA for power and it felt like that plane was flying 600mph. I would say the first flight lasted about 15 seconds. Luckily the place where I was attempting to fly was a long way from civilization (middle of the desert in New Mexico).

I eventually got the hang of it but it was a long and expensive process. I wouldn't recommend that route to anyone.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:12 AM
fastmaxxcooper

haha I like to be on the accelerated learning curve haha. I got the flying in the air part right. but I think the plane was tail heavy and snap steered with my inputs. So I didn't have the precision to fly near the ground haha.

I ordered a tower trainer and kontronik electric set-up. I should have an easier time with the dull responses of a trainer.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:02 PM
aussiesteve

If you absolutely insist on teaching yourself (for whatever reason you may have) - Just remember a fgew very important points.

Before the first attempt to fly the plane:

Pay absolute attention to balance and control throws - these are extremely important.
Pay absolute attention to making sure that your control surfaces are in the neutral position when the sticks are neutralised.
Make sure everything is secure and that the receiver & battery pack are mounted on foam.
Make sure that the flying area is large enough and far enough away from houses etc so that you do not fly over anybody.
Make sure that you have a buddy with you - preferably with a good video camera - more on that later but those vidoes are important to look at later for training purposes.

When you fly:
Remember that the throttle controls your rate of descent/ascent.
The Elevator controls your flying "attitude".
Never fly directly overhead - planes suddenly change shape when you do that.

Trainers do tend to have more gentle flying characteristics and are a little more self righting BUT they are a little more difficult to do aerobatics because of that. - remember that when you try them.

Oh yes - The little more about the video - Send us the videos of your crashes - You will have some - we all do.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:49 AM
kid chuckles

A self taught person here also. Bought a Super Cub neighbor helped me with getting it built. Took it to the park and took off. Landing was not pretty but got it landed and flew some more. I had practiced on a sim before hand though. But nothing like doing it for real. Oh yeah I crashed glued, crashed, replaced parts, crashed, replaced more parts, and finally put it away. My second plane was a Sundowner foumula 1. That was a yr. and a half ago. Maybe two yrs now. But it can be done. Costs alot to learn that way. My son also learned by doing. Not much on instruction lol. Now I fly better than the instructors at the club or at least as good. Would probabaly do it different now thinking back but sure was fun. I got to where I thought i could fly the Cub in 35mph. winds lol. Still fly the cub. Now it has Mini Edge wings, a 480 brushless, and 2100 lipo. Man it is a handful I don't have a clue as to the CG on it but i know it is not close lol. Just fun to have a plane you can fly like you hate it.