Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Monacoat removel

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Monacoat removel

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 10:08 AM
funflyerf4
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monacoat removel

Is there any tricks to remove old covering when redoing a covering job.I peeled off what I could and were left with some covering still attached.

Thanks Frank
Old 03-29-2009, 11:00 AM
tucker1865
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Monacoat removel

Frank: I use my heat gun, exacto knife and tweezers. A lot of heat and peel, watch your fingers. Finish up with acetone.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:32 AM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can iron down a scrap piece on top of the old bits left and pull them off with the scrap piece, acetone or MEK works to remove the old adheasive, MEK works better but is way more potent, it will disolve CA joints, but it will remove any adheasive of the color.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:34 PM
vmsguy

I used a heat gun, razor blade (to initially get under it), and a pair of needlenose pliers.

I've since replaced the heat gun with a coating iron. Fewer burnt fingers.

I prefer needle nose pliers over tweaser because I get a better grip. Also, when pulling long strips, I basically pull up on one end and let the iron move with the pull. Meaning as I pull, say front to back, the iron will rest on the monokote. As it heats the adhesive, breaking the bond, I can pull more. I can only pull as fast as the adhesive gives up the bond. This way.. no rushing the pull, and no overheating.