Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Dogfighting = carnage

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Dogfighting = carnage

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 07:08 PM
FlyinRazorback
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dogfighting = carnage

My brother is a fairly new pilot and had this Avistar with 40FX on it. We were messing around with about 50-60 feet of surveyors tape tied to the back of our planes dogfighting. I was flying my WM Midget Mustang and taking him pretty low and getting pretty wild. Turn here, loop there, spin here, etc. then WHAM! Full throttle into the ground goes the Avistar. I almost lost my plane trying to watch his crash. Anyways, I turned around, landed and this is what we found:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6750_542.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	4837  
Old 03-25-2002, 07:13 PM
FlyinRazorback

Here's another. New definition to the term "short kit"

Name:	6751_542.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	4838  
Old 03-25-2002, 07:18 PM
FlyinRazorback

Now pose with the plane. Look at the ribbon strung out across the ground.

Name:	6752_542.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	4839  
Old 03-26-2002, 04:13 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

What field do you guys fly from?
Old 03-26-2002, 07:11 PM
FlyinRazorback

We fly in Clarksdale, MS at cropduster hanger. Nothing but wide open space for as far as the eye can see. You are welcome to come anytime you would like.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:26 PM
PaulSwany

That's a long way from Memphis... You live in town?
Old 03-26-2002, 08:07 PM
FlyinRazorback

Actually, I live in Cordova. Here's my story. I was living in Cleveland, MS until last September. I started flying in Clarksdale with 2 other guys in March of 2000. We found this great little place to fly and it was pretty much just the 3 of us flying there. Then another guy started flying, then another, and another and so on. Although there are a few others that did fly with us occasionally, the same 3 are always there. So, the main reason I fly there is b/c this is where my friends fly. Before I got started I went with my brother (who lives in W. Memphis) to 3 Memphis area fields. He was a member of the club in Olive Branch and a guy there named BJ actually took me up for my first time. Anyways, the other 2 fields that we visited, the people were unfriendly and acted like we shouldn't be there. So I have been a little hesitant about trying to join a club here. As I see it, I would rather drive 1hr 35mins to fly with my friends and have a good time regardless of what happens in the air. Also, with so many newbies, I get alot of good, uh I mean bad pics of wrecked planes

Actually, here's another of a fellow pilot.

Name:	6869_542.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	4840  
Old 03-26-2002, 08:22 PM
PaulSwany

I like your style RazorBack.... I'd always rather fly with my buddies than with a bunch of snobs... I fly at one of those "other" fields... The only reason I do it that my buddy taught me how to fly there. More that once I've considered leaving though... soo many snobs...

Once, I crashed a plane into the pits... Engine flamed out and I didn't have the flying abuility or presence of mind to point it the other way... Well the guy who's plane I almost hit was justified in being mad.... But here's what he did.... Instead of coming over and wackin' me upside the head and finding out what he could do to help me learn to fly.... He writes me up in the club newsletter..... Embarrassing me in front of the whole club... Nice guy... Never did appologize either... And I must have told him I was sorry about a hundred times.... real ^$$hole!! Oh well... Now I have a select few guys I like to fly with out there...

I'd still like to visit you down at your field.... Maybe one day after work... Do you guys ever fly on the weekdays?
Old 03-26-2002, 08:48 PM
FlyinRazorback

My point exactly. Some of these people take it just a little too far. I try not to forget about when I was learning to fly and the stupid things I did. He was probably justified in being upset, but his approach was wrong. There are too many factors in flying for something to go wrong and mistakes will happen. Don't worry, his will come to him sooner or later. Make sure you write him up when it does.

Very rarely do we fly on weekdays. We used to when I lived closer, but now due to work and other things going on we mainly fly on Sundays (I think it's the international day of RC ) Anyways, you are welcome to fly with us anytime. Like I said, there are only a handful of us, wa are out in the middle of nowhere, we fly all day and have a blast doing so.
Old 03-28-2002, 06:21 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

yeah, i flew at the club a few times when first learning, it was real fun cause the people there were awsome and were real relaxing to fly with, but it was a 30 min. drive to the field and i can't drive so i just started flying at my school, adapting to light polls and soccer nets, its really quite fun, but theres so much you can learn at a club and so much more to do, at the school i fly with only one guy and u know its always interesting seeing new people and new planes... plus it gets kinda lonely flying by yourself
Old 03-28-2002, 06:22 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

i also some times feel real intimidated by the other guys there at the field
Old 03-28-2002, 11:48 AM
FlyinRazorback

Well Shortman, come fly with us. The estimated travel time is 28 hours, 51 minutes for 1935.66 miles of travel. So if you leave on Friday that should give you plenty of time to get here and you could be home by Tuesday morning.

Why be intimidated. We all started the hobby the same as the next person.
Old 03-29-2002, 11:28 PM
Slowpoke-RCU

I was just looking around and seen ya'll live in Ms , I live in Booneville Ms and we all fly just west of corinth at a sod farm in a little spot called Theo between Walnut and corinth . Any of you are welcome to fly with us and you will recieve a southern welcome party . Only 4 to 6 people show up at a time , but we all have a good time . We get there around 11 am and stay till after dark . we are not a club ,just good ole country boys that fly realy wild and crash as good as the snobs .( but we have fun doing it ) So If ya'll want to come fly with us send an e-mail and I'll give directions and meet you there . No snobs fly with us ..so come on when you get ready.....