Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Bad day...

Old 06-12-2009, 10:41 PM
WiLL-3D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad day...

Hey guys just wanted to show you what happens when you jump your steps.My friend doesnt even know how to fly his kadet senior yet and he got himself a greatplanes extra sp. He was first flying his kadet seniior and he got too excited hit complete down elevator and inverted it, then when he tried to straighten up the plane by hitting up elevator, the plane was going so fast that the wing tore in half and the elevator and rudder blew off the plane. We only found the planes fuse and half the wing, the rest of it was carried away by the wind.

After that his friend lifted up his extra, next thig i see, the plane is stalling down and since he wasnt using a training cable, when he passed the controller it was too late to recover it. He broke it into pieces also...

I jusst want to show peoople what happens when you dont want to learn step-by-step. We told him to buy an avistar instead of an extra but he didnt want an avistar because he says its ugly.Now his planes are broken and he is going to buy an avistar. He lost inecessary money for no reason... he learned his lesson.

Here are the pics!

Old 06-12-2009, 11:36 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Bad day...

looks expensive, thats to bad for him, hope he doesnt give up the hobby
Old 06-13-2009, 06:05 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should be moved to the beginners forum. 

A great example of what we've been trying to tell those that want to be self taught.

Great post!!

CGr.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:16 AM
2PUPS

Hmm , I am a newbie to the hobby , building an ultimate 120 from nitro planes , I flew a trainer once for a few minutes under supervision 20 plus yrs ago . Lets see , I have no flight instruction , 1300.00 invested in plane , motor , radio , etc .. Seems like a no brainer to me , get trainer model and instructor . By the way I wont fly the ultimate til I am ready for it , waiting for my LT-40 trainer which should be here in about a week or so . And I WILL seek the help of an instructor . Id rather crash a cheaper model than an exspesive one , especially when those baseball backstops jump in front of you , right CG , hahahaha , had to throw that in .
Old 06-13-2009, 08:23 AM
Trax540

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

A great example of what we've been trying to tell those that want to be self taught
Definitly doesnt apply to everyone who is self taught.
Ive never joined the local club, and have never been hooked to a buddy box. The problem is that some people dont want to take the proper steps into flying IMHO.
Ive built all my own planes from kits. CG eagle 2 kit, and i fly it still on occasion . including my SE5A, Chipmunk, and Bipe. Ive crashed one plane my Cub.

Im not trying to start a contest im just disagreeing with the comment.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:58 PM
chevypower1930

Holy crap.
That's a horrible day... shouldn't have been so ignorant, why would you get a 3d plane when you haven't even trained correctly or flown a kadet senior enough.  had it comin to him man that would put a BIG damper on the hobby, hope he sticks with it and trains correctly then he'll have the addiction like all of us!
Old 06-13-2009, 02:30 PM
el_xero

hmm those can be repaired to look like new again! hope he didnt trash them! I've recently metthis guy who has been flying for 20 plus years now brought me to his house and showed me two planes that looked even worse than what i see here today. He said to me I'm going to rebuild one of these and give it to you. I just raised one eyebrow and looked at him off the corner of my eye like he was loosing his mind!
"that looks like it belongs on a bonfire man" ... Today im eating my words He rebuilt the Avistar and gave it to me! This is an ARF totally rebuilt! and MAN does it look good! and BOY it flys even better than it looks!

sure those look like a waste of money now! but look at the bright side! if he is truly interested in the hobby then this is perfect opportunity for him!!!!
if he can find someone who knows about building and he could get some great tutelage on building or well rebuilding in this case.. Think of the oodles of knowledge he could aquire here not to mention rebuilding both of those planes to near prestine conditionwould beone hell of an accomplishment for him.

dont forget guys flying is only one part of this hobby there are those who find that they love building more than or as much as flying.

good luck to him!
Old 06-13-2009, 03:37 PM
outdoorhunting

Famous words from a newbie.. Hey, that looks pretty easy, let me try it.!! My son has his commercial, multi-engine, instrument- ratedpilot's license & can't understand why I won't let him fly one of my planes. The only thing I can say,-It ain't as easy as it looks !!!!!!!!!!!!!! The people selling in this hobby,( for the most part) will state "easy to fly" almost flies itself, etc. I wonder how many potential good pilots we loose every year because of no training or not enough training. We had a guy at a club I used to fly in, had a guy who came out the first time with a H9 Twist. Somehow he did get it in the air without anyone noticing. It lasted, maybe 30 seconds & straight into the ground, somebody then checked his TX & found it was set on "high rates". He didn't have a chance !!!! We talked him into a Nextstar, helped him learn. He is now one of the best pilots in the club....Moral of the story ya gotta crawl before ya walk !!!!!!
Old 06-13-2009, 09:55 PM
Nitrodan73
My Feedback: (12)

I did a really stupid thing today, I didn't do my preflight on a maiden for my WM Voodoo Mustang. I took off only to realize my ailerons were reversed. Flew her 3 minutes trying to trim it out to fly level so I could look down at my radio long enough to do the switch but only to trim it the wrong way and eventually lost it. I did this same mistake 4 years ago and now I guess I needed a reminder.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:47 PM
el_xero

ouch!!!

That happned to me once!

I thought that the planeI hadbought was just no good and only figured it out weeks later thatthe controls were reversed.The plane is fine but i just never flew it again.

Next time something like that happens to you, tryto fly the plane like a 3 channel! use just rudder and elevator to steer her in its slow but it should work!

sorry about your plane man.

ORIGINAL: Nitrodan73

I did a really stupid thing today, I didn't do my preflight on a maiden for my WM Voodoo Mustang. I took off only to realize my ailerons were reversed. Flew her 3 minutes trying to trim it out to fly level so I could look down at my radio long enough to do the switch but only to trim it the wrong way and eventually lost it. I did this same mistake 4 years ago and now I guess I needed a reminder.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:35 AM
WiLL-3D

OOOHH
that happened to me alsoo! after that i check that everything is right just before I take off to make sure.

Today I crashed my harrier 90 3D, was hovering at around 5 foot from the ground, the nose fell, i powered and tried to recover it butt it was to late, landed flat on the ground and ripped the landing gear off. It's really minorr I'll get it fixed up later but just for you guys to know lol. I have  a video but havent uploaded it yet!
Old 06-14-2009, 08:48 AM
Fade2Black1
My Feedback: (5)

I learned the wrong way, but also did a good job at it i guess you can say.

I started with the Nexstar RTF and flew that. one month later I was qualified. Instructor told me to get a Avistar as my next trainer, but little did he know I had a Showtime 50 on my bench building with the best of the best components. I show up at the field one day with it, he shook his head and said be carefull.

Up off the ground straight and level, bank left, OPPS TOO MUCH ELEVATOR and it snapped out, RECOVERED!! Now that I am flying and trying to jiggle the fecal matter out of my shorts I come back in for a landing, 3 point landing. I never experienced a snap up until that point. Lowered the rates, waited about 2 hours, decided to go up for another flight. Flew it as best as I could, landed it.

I had the plane for 5 months and learned alot of basic pattern manuvers on it. One day I got cocky and decided that I was going to do low, highspeed inverted passes. A little wind caught the wing 6 feet off the ground I yanked the stick full up elevator, and my nice plane became tooth picks. Dumb thumbed it.

Moral of the story. Some guys are good naturally, some guys need ALOT of help, and some guys just dont get it. If I had to go back, I would have got the avistar as it was a fun little plane.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:07 AM
el_xero

Wow almost every where i've read in the forums over the pastcouple of daysare mentioning the Avistar man!
That just makes me soooo happy to have gotten one as my first trainer plane. I have to say Ilove how it flys.. Love it love it!
and ilove even more how the thing lands!!! wow its a dream to land.. so far i've only gotten 5 landings on the plane all dead stick... (we later learned it was a problem with the fuel tank)
I'm putting my electricts down for a bit to get used to flying a bigger plane. There is a lot to learn with Nitro planes and i've got to catch up!
Thanks a bunch christopher for rebuilding it for me.. and even more thanks for being generous enough to let me have it free of charge! Super!! just super!

ORIGINAL: Fade2Black1

I learned the wrong way, but also did a good job at it i guess you can say.

I started with the Nexstar RTF and flew that. one month later I was qualified. Instructor told me to get a Avistar as my next trainer, but little did he know I had a Showtime 50 on my bench building with the best of the best components. I show up at the field one day with it, he shook his head and said be carefull.

Up off the ground straight and level, bank left, OPPS TOO MUCH ELEVATOR and it snapped out, RECOVERED!! Now that I am flying and trying to jiggle the fecal matter out of my shorts I come back in for a landing, 3 point landing. I never experienced a snap up until that point. Lowered the rates, waited about 2 hours, decided to go up for another flight. Flew it as best as I could, landed it.

I had the plane for 5 months and learned alot of basic pattern manuvers on it. One day I got cocky and decided that I was going to do low, highspeed inverted passes. A little wind caught the wing 6 feet off the ground I yanked the stick full up elevator, and my nice plane became tooth picks. Dumb thumbed it.

Moral of the story. Some guys are good naturally, some guys need ALOT of help, and some guys just dont get it. If I had to go back, I would have got the avistar as it was a fun little plane.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Dan M

ORIGINAL: el_xero

Wow almost every where i've read in the forums over the pastcouple of daysare mentioning the Avistar man!
That just makes me soooo happy to have gotten one as my first trainer plane. I have to say Ilove how it flys.. Love it love it!
and ilove even more how the thing lands!!! wow its a dream to land.. so far i've only gotten 5 landings on the plane all dead stick... (we later learned it was a problem with the fuel tank)
I'm putting my electricts down for a bit to get used to flying a bigger plane. There is a lot to learn with Nitro planes and i've got to catch up!
Thanks a bunch christopher for rebuilding it for me.. and even more thanks for being generous enough to let me have it free of charge! Super!! just super!

Very nice !

anyone that will take a "trash can bird" and save it .... just to give it away fully finished and airworthy , you should keep close .

i bet he had as much fun giving it to you as you did recieving it , a person like that was what hooked me on RC over 30 years ago , and i still smile when i think of him to this day .

Kudo's Christopher !

Old 06-14-2009, 06:20 PM
el_xero

I think you're right about him enjoying giving it away. His thing is to train as many people as possible so he can just come to the field to watch people fly! Truly a great and generous guy!
This fellow picks me up from my house with my plane in his jeep drives us to the field coaches me and drives me home again! he even gives me free fuel!
I can hardly believe it man!

He constantly says

"why should you go out an buy a plane when i've got plenty here, i can just rebuild it give it to you and guess what,thatsone less plane taking up space in my house!it's brokenso im not flying it and you could use it.. so you'rehelping me in a way too"
Him rebuilding the Avistar has given him new zeal and he is starting on his broken PT40 soon aswell (its in an even worse condition than the Avistar - insane man simply crazy!)

I'm planing on giving him one of the new electrics as soon as I've finished it! he says he is somewhat interested in them so its a great opportuinity to show some appreciation

Just don't tell him i said so ok? :P

Wewent out flying today!
This makes about 10 dead sticks total now and this time he didn't even bring his plane today he just wanted to see me fly the Avistar and futher tutor me on it!

He is fully satisfied that he made this one my first plane, said i've totally bypassed the flat bottom trainers and they arent for me! (hell of an ego boost that was let me tell you) I was nervous the whole time because there was motor cross right next to us and the guys kept coming over on our section! the noise really bugged me aswell but it was good i needed to get used to distractions while flying!

all in all a super great day again more landings under my belt and this rebuild avistar is as i've said, a dream to fly! simply amazing. Christopher did a hell of a job on this plane man a hell of a job.
which is why i was prompted to comment on the two broken pics in this thread! they should really consider making them a rebuild project and not give up!
I'll try to get some pics of the plane... He's got some old monokote on the body so althought the frame looks prestine the outside of the plane looks a bit tartered. No biggy chris says.. Just fly the monokote off that thing and when you're ready, upgrade!

I'm hungry for more!

ORIGINAL: DanMacMurray

Very nice !

anyone that will take a "trash can bird" and save it .... just to give it away fully finished and airworthy , you should keep close .

i bet he had as much fun giving it to you as you did recieving it , a person like that was what hooked me on RC over 30 years ago , and i still smile when i think of him to this day .

Kudo's Christopher !

Old 06-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Fade2Black1

Wow almost every where i've read in the forums over the past couple of days are mentioning the Avistar man!
That just makes me soooo happy to have gotten one as my first trainer plane. I have to say I love how it flys.. Love it love it!
and i love even more how the thing lands!!! wow its a dream to land.. so far i've only gotten 5 landings on the plane all dead stick... (we later learned it was a problem with the fuel tank)
Avistar is a great second trainer as it has a semi semetrical wing, and is quite aerobatic. I had 3 of them, and all three ended up lawn darts, but for good reason. I was actually trying to break it.

Try not to give it too much elevator when coming out of a steep dive. The wing still has a little dehidral, and they are joined with a small little fake ply spar. The wings like to fold up like a butterfly.

Have fun and be safe!
Old 06-14-2009, 10:50 PM
el_xero

Thanks for the tip!
Always welcome those hehe..

but um Chirstopher actually galssed the wings. Remember this is rebuild meant for the trash heap bonfire!

the wing was damaged most every where the entire front section of the plane was smashed but good!

He put it all back together and fiberglassed the wing joints so they are pretty strong... um i think!
However having said that IWILL heed your warning and be sure to practice my steep dives 3 mistakes high that
way i can gently pull her out and back into level flight again!

Thanks!

P.S.
Um did i read right? You DID say you were infact TRYINGto destroy your planes is that correct?
WHY ON EARTH WHAT EVER FOR?

ORIGINAL: Fade2Black1

Avistar is a great second trainer as it has a semi semetrical wing, and is quite aerobatic. I had 3 of them, and all three ended up lawn darts, but for good reason. I was actually trying to break it.

Try not to give it too much elevator when coming out of a steep dive. The wing still has a little dehidral, and they are joined with a small little fake ply spar. The wings like to fold up like a butterfly.

Have fun and be safe!
Old 06-15-2009, 12:04 AM
WiLL-3D

A nice Mod to make to an avistar is to put a Quickie's wing on it. A friend at the field has one, they call it the aviquickie, flies superb!
Old 06-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Fade2Black1

Thanks for the tip!
Always welcome those hehe..

but um Chirstopher actually galssed the wings. Remember this is rebuild meant for the trash heap bonfire!

the wing was damaged most every where the entire front section of the plane was smashed but good!

He put it all back together and fiberglassed the wing joints so they are pretty strong... um i think!
However having said that I WILL heed your warning and be sure to practice my steep dives 3 mistakes high that
way i can gently pull her out and back into level flight again!

Thanks!

P.S.
Um did i read right? You DID say you were infact TRYING to destroy your planes is that correct?
WHY ON EARTH WHAT EVER FOR?
Yes, you read correctly. You will realize after 3-4 months of flying trainers is they are only good to knock around with and try daring things because they recover so eazy. Not that I am saying that it is okay to do so, but if you have a hanger of planes, you will look at your trainer and say, "What kind of fun stuff can i do with this".

Word of advise. Dont put an Avistar into an upright flat spin. I WILL NOT come out =) It will come out of a inverted flat spin if you have enough throw to get it into one.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:40 AM
el_xero

Eh???

you're bored??
after only 3-4 months? :P

The guys here have been flying their trainers for over ten years now... chris has been at it for 20 already. Imean he has a huge cap 232 in his bacement but seems he prefers flying the trainers more.. and to be honest... the more i play with the pt40 on the sim the more comfyi get andmore i like the thing, I thought id hate it. It's not pretty to me at all but, meh.. its growing on me haha.

YOU CAN DO THAT??

with a trainer?

Really?

0_0

Dude I don't even know how to flat spin (Anything) I thought that maneouver was strictly for 3D planes

Thanks, I'll keep my flat spins in the flight sim, if ever i figure out how to do it haha.

so far all i've been practicing are circuits, Stall turns, inverted flight, cuban 8's, axial rolls (I think they are called), Loops, imilman, split S, I've dabbled with the idea of a knife edge but this model doesnt have enough tail for that i think either that or my LA 40 doesnt have enough juice plus that dihedral might play a part too haha. And for now I think thats plenty to play with. I'm also trying to string one maneouver into an other and yet an other, a little shakey on that one.

Oh lets not forget the ever faithful Dead stick landing! 10 times now and counting (and I'm worried about not getting any practice with powered landings lol) I pretty much have no choice on that one it happens on every flight . I would have liked to try out some touch and goes or just powered landing but oh well.

Christopher is trying to isolate the problem but he hasnt found where that little gremlin is hiding yet, He thinks my tank might be too large, something about pressure so we're going to try a 6oz tank in stead of an 8oz one.
Tried a few things already to get it sorted out.. I'm confident he'll find it.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:31 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

8 oz tank is not too large, I have 3 Avistars, two with .40 La, and one has a magnum .46 and a 12 oz tank. all run fine. Sounds like you might be getting air in the fuel line from somewhere or its just set too lean. Avistar will come out of a flat spin with full throttle if the CG is a little aft of specs.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:11 AM
el_xero

Thanks, hungger-4641

He's checked into the air seeping in thing several times already too. I remember him talking about it being too lean and adjusting the needle valve to compensate. He hastried quite a few things.
Changed out every hose on the entire system checked the tank, clunk, made sure every thing is sealed properly and all.

Every thing checks out butfor some reason the engine just has a 6-8 min run and thats it!

I make sure to fly very high to cater for a dead stick and so far its a damn good thing i keep doing that!

It's starting to get funny at the field, one muchmore experienced guy, Shaneflys a lucky star with a flat bottom wing and seems to have a hard time landing with out the plane rocking due to the wind.

Yet every time i come in its smooth on setup and landing. We had a spectator yesterday who complimented me on the great final touch down for my flying day and ShaneImmediately said

"Yeah, thats his habbit, Thats all he does, all the time, nail that dead sticklanding, Iget vexed every time he does it"

hahahahahahahahaha

Ever sinceI first took that plane up and did my frist smooth deadsitcklanding he has been trying to emulate it, but the wind plays havoc with his flat bottom, we got some nice videos of his attempts too haha I'll edit them and post them on youtube hopefully soon lots of fun!

Its great feeling when you can bring a plane in safely on zero power, but i wonder if i'm going to get a bit annoyed with it happening constantly like that every day haha.

ORIGINAL: hugger-4641

8 oz tank is not too large, I have 3Avistars, two with .40 La, and one has a magnum .46 and a 12 oz tank. all run fine. Sounds like you might be getting air in the fuel line from somewhere or its just set too lean. Avistar will come out of a flat spin with full throttle if the CG is a little aft of specs.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Flak

The Avistar 40 is an excellent first and only trainer. I modified my son's with flaps. He had a ball with it. Then he went to a Harmon Rocket and loves it.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:33 PM
el_xero

ohhh that Rocket looks like a beauty! Hmmm but maybe later, Like WAAAY later!
Old 06-16-2009, 07:57 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Still sounds like a tank problem to me. I get twelve to twenty minutes out of my Avistars depending on how hard I'm flying, so  6-8 min would be about half a tank or less of fuel. This would be the point where the fuel level gets below the bung hole and fuel tubes in the tank. Try holding the plane vertical in your hands and have your friend run the engine till it quits. I bet you will start seeing bubbles in the line between the tank and the needle valve right before the engine quits. If so it is likely a hole inside the tank in the pickup line, or in the bung hole seal itself.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.