Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

need help with repair, (elevator flutter)

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

need help with repair, (elevator flutter)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 04:54 PM
matt3D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with repair, (elevator flutter)

Hello,
I have an Extreme Flight Edge 540T profile airplane. I've had it for a few years now and I have put it through many intense aerobatics. One day I was flying at Fresno Radio Modelers and half of the elevator came off. I have an OS 46FX motor with a 12.25x3.75 apc prop and I was flying a little above half throttle during level flight and all of a sudden the elevator starts to flutter. Then two seconds later, half of it came off. Luckily, the half that was still on had the connection to the servo and held up and I was able to make a quick landing. I'm not sure how I should repair my airplane. Should I just glue it back on or get a new elevator? I don't know if Extreme Flight has any more parts for this plane. I think I should also put some wires to make the stab/rudder section stronger. What do you guys suggest?
Here are some pictures:

Thanks,
Matt
Old 07-20-2009, 05:54 PM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Default RE: need help with repair, (elevator flutter)

Hi

should be easy to duplicate the horizontal stab from the half that you have. Your stab coild have just fatigued over time. Just make a new one and install. Make sure you have a tight hinge line. Does not sound like you were going to fast for the airframe.

Vince
Old 07-20-2009, 06:21 PM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

Epoxy?
Old 08-08-2009, 01:42 AM
paysonhobbies
My Feedback: (2)

It just vibrated off, go ahead and use thin CA to glue it back into place. Unless you make an entire new elevator you might want to put the guide wires on the top and bottom of the elevators. You also might want to glue a joiner piece between the plane and the stabilizer.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:19 PM
VeeAte

I would get some toothpicks or some thin carbon rod and drill that carefully through the part where the elevator broke.
Drill corresponding holes in the new (or old) elevator and then re-glue.

Same sort of thing as the wing tube on a plane with removable wings.

I don't think I would trust a glue joint on it's own.