RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Crash & Rebuild (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/)
-   -   FW 190 Rebuild. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/10283098-fw-190-rebuild.html)

Capflyboy05 01-23-2011 02:28 PM

FW 190 Rebuild.

Long story very short, my instructor and friend died when I was about 13.
About a year later his wife just GAVE me all of his stuff.
9 airplanes and all of the building materials that I'd ever need.
So now, 5 years later, I'm trying to get this FW 190 flying again.
But I just cant figure out how in the world the ailerons are supposed to be wired!!!
It's not the typical setup, like on most RC planes.
The rods go through the middle, and theres what looks like a place for servos to go in each wing...
But it's not making ANY sense to me at all...
His wife said she never saw it fly in their 27 years of being married.
Maybe there was a reason, but it just needs some minor repairs.
And a servo mount, and servos, but everything else is there.

N1EDM 01-23-2011 05:12 PM

RE: FW 190 Rebuild.

ORIGINAL: Capflyboy05
The rods go through the middle, and theres what looks like a place for servos to go in each wing...
Are you saying that there are two vertical rods, about 1" - 1-1/2" apart coming up vertically at the TE? If so, that would be simple - the ailerons are driven by a single servo. Some planes give you the option of mounting two servos (i.e., in each wing panel) or a single servo in the center. But I am not sure if that is the question that you are asking.

Can you send a large close-up photo or two? I'm sure that we can get you out of this OK.

Bob

Capflyboy05 01-23-2011 06:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the pics.
This is as good as I could get them.
The rod comes out of that center hole and out to the other two servo mounts on the wing panels.
I'm just confused as to why there are servo holes if theres a rod coming out of the center,
Thanks for the help.

willig10 01-23-2011 11:35 PM

It appears that the ailerons are being driven by 1 servo hooked up to a ball and socket type of attachment. My old instructor had me set my wings up in a similar fashion n my first airplane. Each aileron has a wire that goes to an "L" braket, then is routed to the servo and a solder connection that is attached to the wire between each aileron. When the servo moves the ailerons move oppsite directions.

Sounds complex, but is really not a bad way to connect them up. However if this was my airplane. I would pull the wire out and just place a servo in each wing bay directly to each aileron. With a modern day radio this should be no problem for you.

Hope this helps

Glenn Williams</p>

Capflyboy05 01-24-2011 12:17 AM

How would I get two servos going into the same channel though??

willig10 01-24-2011 12:53 AM

Go to your local hobby shop and tell them what type of transmitter you are using. Tell them you need a "Y" connector. In essence the Y connector does this the lower end of the "Y" goes into your receiver. The other 2 ends will go to each servo. Looking at your wing I would guess that you need 1 Y connector and 2 twelve inch extensions.

Take the wing to your local Hobby shop and the guy should be able to help you out with what I just posted here.

good luck

Glenn Williams

Capflyboy05 01-24-2011 12:50 PM

Thank you sooooooo much.
I appreciate the help.
I had been thinking about donig something like that.
I just had no idea they actually made the "Y" connectors.
But it's perfect. My problem is solved. :)
I'll post some pictures when I get it finished.

Redback 01-24-2011 05:09 PM

If you use a Y lead make sure the servos are set up mechanically to move the ailerons in different directions.

Alternatively, depending on your transmitter you may be able to use two channels and mix them. Y lead is nice and simple though!

Terry

Capflyboy05 01-24-2011 05:24 PM

Yeah, having the servos move two different ways cant be that complicated can it?<div>I mean, just put one in one way, and the other one the opposite.</div>

Capflyboy05 01-24-2011 05:26 PM

But does this type of setup have any higher amount of failure rate?
I mean, it's simple, but because theres more parts, theres more to go wrong?
Are there any documented cases of this?

willig10 01-24-2011 10:19 PM

Cap:
There will not be a higher amount of failure. In all actality you are adding redundancy. You will be adding another servo and some wires.

Make sure you do 1 of 2 things. When you buy the Y connector and servo extensions ask for the locking clips for your style radio. They are inexpensive and will ensure the extensions do not come loose OR you can use dental floss (not the waxed kind) to attach the extensions together.

Also make sure the servos move opposed to each other. In other words, if you were making a right bank the right aileron will move up and the left aileron will move down. If for some reason they move up or down together change one servo out and try again. If you have the same results, you will need to buy a servo that is reversed. Typically you will only have to buy a reversed servo for flaps but sometimes you get one for your ailerons as well. Just do a good check to make sure the move opposed to each other and in the right direction.

I would seek local advice for the build and flying from your local hobby shop and your local flying field. I strongly advise you not try to fly this bird without help. The FW 190 is a touchy bird and it will bite you if your not on your game.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Glenn Williams

Capflyboy05 01-24-2011 10:38 PM

Thanks for that advice.
I wasn't going to fly it without help.
I have a field about 15 mins from me.
Last time I tried flying a plane on my own that was a tail dragger (and NOT a warbird),
I crashed it on takeoff. :(
Lesson learned, dont go from a trainer to a tail dragger ugly stick.
But I was 14-15. Now 18 and slightly wiser. ;)

Capflyboy05 01-24-2011 10:39 PM

Heres some pics of this baby.
I feel like I should be working on my Avistar though. :P
But this one needs the most work.
I just need to pop in a fuel tank, control rods, an engine, and some servos into the Avistar and it'll be flying.

I-fly-any-and-all 02-19-2011 11:01 AM

whats the wingspan and fuse length of the plane? I'll private message you

FireBee 03-02-2011 07:58 PM

Cap, Willig,

The FW-190 is pretty old looking and the center servo set-up was common in the late 70- early 80's. Center servo would be mounted on its side and a servo arm or wheel would attach to the short wire in the photo. the control rods pass down the wing to the 90 degree bellcranks and they would in turn have a control rod out the bottom of the wing to the aileron horn. Servos back then also weighed a lot more so control set ups were usually limited to 4 servos to save weight.

The real reason we all switched was this set-up had too much "slop" for the faster .60 size planes and would bring about flutter. All the servo arm holes had to have a little more play and this added up in 4-5 times and would lead to high speed flutter on the ailerons. The next thing you know... bye... bye aileron. I lost a Top Flight P-39 Air Cobra / Rossi .60 on my 3rd flight! Big old barn door type ailerons too.

Fast forward to today. Reliability and short sturdy control rods with no slop is the way to go.

For a dual aileron servo set-up, easiest is what Willig said,
Y harness using servo extension out to the wing. Use the hatch as an area to mount the servos. Servos are mounted the "same way" on both sides of the wing. You just have to take one arm off and turn it 180 degrees and re mount it.
So basically each servo arm is pointing out, away from the fuselage, and now you get an aileron function of one arm rotating forward while the other side servo the arm rotates back when you throw the TX stick to one side.

You have a great piece of canvas to start with. I'd take your time and treat it like an ARF. Make everything meet your standards. Strongly Suggest you seek help from a warbird guy or at least a tail dragger pilot.

Chances are it will be on the heavy side and thus fly different due to the higher wing loading But no matter how much lead it takes to balance, make sure CG is correct! Also be aware as you throttle back that big cowl will really slow you down and fast.

Good Luck

Mike P.

tmaucher 03-16-2011 04:17 PM

Do you have any updates on the plane? If not get busy.

I-fly-any-and-all 03-22-2011 02:08 PM

updates?

tmaucher 03-22-2011 08:05 PM

Yea I want to see that plane ready to fly.

I-fly-any-and-all 03-23-2011 12:30 PM

might be an old royal/marutaka kit if the guy ever gets abck online.

I-fly-any-and-all 03-23-2011 12:33 PM

tmaucher 03-23-2011 05:22 PM

ORIGINAL: I-fly-any-and-all

Keep it up and we are going to have to start calling you Johnny two times.:D