RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Crash & Rebuild (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/)
-   -   Cause of crash? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/11605117-cause-crash.html)

DominicM 10-07-2014 10:40 PM

Cause of crash?

This happened at the weekend. Simple stall or something more than that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QvKwJGrUcY

speedracerntrixie 10-08-2014 05:26 AM

Too slow, too much angle of attack and the right aileron input made the left wing tip stall even worse.

Villa 10-08-2014 06:52 AM

Did you recently make a CG loation change? It may have been tail heavy.You need to learn to feed in some down elevator during the take off, if that is what it takes to save the plane. That could have saved your plane. Or you may have held the up elevator way too long. Make CG changes in very small steps. Same with control changes.

mattnew 10-08-2014 12:14 PM

Stall.
you can see a significant amount of up elevator on takeoff.
Even though the plane is in the air, it really hasn't reach speeds yet necessary for that steep a climb.
Since it is a jet there is 0 prop wash over the ailerons which means they are ineffective.

He just yanked it off the ground too soon and held too much "up".

CafeenMan 10-08-2014 09:26 PM

At first I suspected reversed ailerons but in the slow-mo I could see full right aileron so they weren't reversed. I think the first two answers are correct. The plane just got yanked off too soon with too much elevator and stalled/tip stalled right back into the ground.

The fundamental piloting problem in this hobby is that we all learn to fly lightly loaded airplanes that tolerate really bad piloting. Then we think we're good pilots and reinforce bad habits. That's fine as long as we're flying planes that have high power loading and light wing loadings.

But when we start flying planes that must fly on the wing a lot of people get into trouble immediately because they never learned how to really fly an airplane.

There are people out there who believe a dead stick is a guaranteed totaled airplane. I know that any plane can be landed without damage in a dead stick if it has enough altitude.

Sorry about the plane though. I'm not trying to insult anyone with my comments. I just think everyone should take the time to learn to really fly an airplane on the wing.

FlyerInOKC 10-09-2014 09:34 AM

It does look like a stall the speed wasn't high enough for the ailerons to be affective.

speedracerntrixie 10-09-2014 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC (Post 11896583)
It does look like a stall the speed wasn't high enough for the ailerons to be affective.

The left wing was almost immediately stalled due to low airspeed and too high of AOA. The right aileron input made the situation worse by INCREASING the AOA of the left wing. Simply letting off on all control inputs when the airplane was in knife edge may have bought enough time to build some speed before trying to roll upright. Or maybe even allowed it to roll on its back and then ease it into an inverted climb. Things happen fast and it's always difficult to know how to handle these emergency situations without the correct training.

[email protected] 10-26-2014 08:59 PM

Any crash takes complete investigation of the systems and events. However, the speed does seem low. all the above are likely causes or likely contributing causes. Also your flying off grass so you're used to short field take offs. If u hold full up elev u better be ready to level out Immediately for heavy loading wing like that. In fact, for your maiden flight get on a paved runway, go max speed then gently lift off (ready for ail trim) w a Shallow ascent, until you trim and get the hang of the plane.

Top_Gunn 10-27-2014 08:37 AM

The fundamental piloting problem in this hobby is that we all learn to fly lightly loaded airplanes that tolerate really bad piloting. Then we think we're good pilots and reinforce bad habits. That's fine as long as we're flying planes that have high power loading and light wing loadings.
This may be the single best sentence ever posted on RCU.

FlyerInOKC 10-28-2014 05:53 AM

I have to agree with this statement considering the way most of us overpower our models and yes I will admit I have been guilty of this.