RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Crash & Rebuild (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/)
-   -   1/3 J-3 Overhaul (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/11607153-1-3-j-3-overhaul.html)

WacoNut 12-05-2014 02:03 PM

Update:
I just received a UPS notification that my Stits order just now shipped with an estimated delivery date of next Wed. :mad: Oh well it is what it is.
I will wrap up the last couple pieces of covering and start applying the rib stitching. I will post a few pics tomorrow.
Anthony

acerc 12-05-2014 02:08 PM

LOL! I ordered after you and mine will be here on Monday. Maybe with all I have purchased they give me the VIP treatment.

WacoNut 12-05-2014 02:14 PM

Or maybe they just feel sorry for you!!!

acerc 12-05-2014 02:30 PM

LOL! Could be I am just closer.

ARUP 12-06-2014 07:50 AM

Naw..... the delivery guy just wants to make a trip to FL first to get ready for the winter onslaught in OH!

WacoNut 12-06-2014 02:13 PM

All the parts are now covered and the rib stitching is on one wing panel.

Too lazy to take and post pics right now. Maybe tomorrow I will be a little more motivated.
Later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 12-06-2014 07:39 PM

I have the wing and aileron rib stitching applied. Was laying on the couch watching some football and it hit me I didn't strip the wing struts. Looks like that is on the list for tomorrow. I also got a new cowling from AMR that I need to join the 2 halves together and fiberglass the seam.

The fabric covering came out very nice, I can't wait to see how it looks after the tapes are applied and the paint goes down. I will post some pics of all the covered pieces tomorrow.
Later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 12-07-2014 09:42 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I finally took a few pics,

I taped the cowl halves together and cut some fiberglass matt to fiberglass the halves together. I hate working with fiberglass it is just a stinky sticky mess. Anyhow the halves are together and curing.

The struts have had all the hardware removed, bagged and tagged to be re-assembled later. All the covering stripped and ready to be re-covered.

I put all the covered pieces in one spot to take a pic. As you can see this is a large plane. Also snapped a pic showing the rib stitching tape I used from Scaleribstitch.com Ken Kossimoto is very helpful if you need to order any rib stitching.

Now I can relax and watch some football while the fiberglass resin cures and my hobby room airs out.
Later!!
Anthony

acerc 12-07-2014 10:15 AM

As large as this plane is , that tv makes it look small.

WacoNut 12-07-2014 10:38 AM

Yeah I like my TV's like I like my planes BIG!!!:cool:

The home theatre can really distract you from doing things you need to be working on. We usually have a movie night once a week and it gives me a place to watch football and races without disturbing the wife.

Cub Flyer Fresno 12-07-2014 11:25 AM

That's a TV?! Sweet!!! ;)

WacoNut 12-07-2014 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Cub Flyer Fresno (Post 11932923)
That's a TV?! Sweet!!! ;)

106" of viewing pleasure. Hi-Def projector, Denon A/V receiver, Klipsch home theatre speakers with a 12" Sub. I have the ceiling insulated to keep the noise down upstairs but it will still rattle the windows;)

spaceworm 12-07-2014 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by WacoNut (Post 11932873)
I finally took a few pics,

I taped the cowl halves together and cut some fiberglass matt to fiberglass the halves together. I hate working with fiberglass it is just a stinky sticky mess. Anyhow the halves are together and curing.

The struts have had all the hardware removed, bagged and tagged to be re-assembled later. All the covering stripped and ready to be re-covered.

I put all the covered pieces in one spot to take a pic. As you can see this is a large plane. Also snapped a pic showing the rib stitching tape I used from Scaleribstitch.com Ken Kossimoto is very helpful if you need to order any rib stitching.

Now I can relax and watch some football while the fiberglass resin cures and my hobby room airs out.
Later!!
Anthony

Any advantage of polyester resin for this instead of epoxy or instant glue? I have used both of these and avoided the dreaded stick of polyester resin. Just askin'.

Beautiful work you do.
Sincerely, Richard
Cub Brotherhood #187; Sig 1/4, H9 100 inch (Gen 1), GB Anniv Cub
Club Saito #635; Saito 56, 100, 120abc, 130T, 180
Kadet Brotherhood #96; Mk 1 Kadet, Kadet Junior,
Sig Kougar, Sig 1/4 Cub, Sig 1/4 Spacewalker II

John_M_ 12-07-2014 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by acerc (Post 11930460)
Why thank you John.
There is one thing I am curious about on the dyed fabric. Does the open weave have any effect on flight characteristics such as does it have more drag and or less lift?

From my understanding Ace... it can actually improve laminar airflow and lower the stall speeds some, but how much of an effect it would have on a model airframe would be hard to say... same as adding vortex generators on the leading edge of the wing, the effects may be too small to detect on a model.

Originally Posted by acerc (Post 11930460)
By the way experience has nothing to do with it, I woke up one day with the ability. LOL!

Oh Jesus, another Marconi, ;)

Its called talent Ace... god given to some, others it just happens naturally... I am gifted of the latter... one day ask me to show you how I walk on water... but wait til the summer months, and while I have my swim trunks on :p

John M,

WacoNut 12-07-2014 12:41 PM

The cowl is too large to be using instant glue. I use T-88 structural epoxy which has a long cure time, 4rs until it sets and 24hrs for full cure. The polyester resin kicks and cures a lot quicker. The resin has already cured out enough for me to start sanding and cutting the cowl openings as soon as the football game is over.

WacoNut 12-07-2014 02:03 PM

The Bengals blew it in the 4th qtr and now back to work on the Waco.
I sanded the seam on the cowl and have applied a skim of body putty. I also have 2 of the struts covered.

Robert, Is the Polyspray compatible to Dupli-Color high fill primer? I want to make sure before priming the cowling.

Later!!
Anthony

acerc 12-07-2014 02:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I can't say for sure, a wise man would test it. Unless you are talking of the self etching stuff I use as seen in the pick, then yes. I would like to add that even though it is self etching, sanding is needed for a proper and lasting bond.

acerc 12-07-2014 02:15 PM

Anthony, I have also noticed that I can just use the polyspray as a primer. So far only two coats with sanding has been required to fill pin holes and the such, typical glass work finish. This cuts the coats down while keeping the same base under the color.

WacoNut 12-07-2014 02:16 PM

I believe the self etching primer is also a lacquer base. I also have some self etching primer I can always spray over the high fill primer if needed.

out2pasture 12-07-2014 08:04 PM

Are you going to weight the parts before spraying? I wonder what kind of weight the Stits is going to add.

WacoNut 12-08-2014 02:17 PM

Mike,
I would like to but I no longer have a working scale in the house. The parts are too big to just throw in my truck and take to work to weigh.

I can tell you for certain that Solartex with paint is heavier than the Stits process. I know the final weight of my Cub was 26lbs before. When it is finished I will try to get a new weight.
Later!!
Anthony

out2pasture 12-08-2014 08:10 PM

Thats Ok. I want to try Stits on my next kit. So I'm really interested in this thread.

spaceworm 12-09-2014 06:43 AM

[QUOTE=WacoNut;11933632...
I can tell you for certain that Solartex with paint is heavier than the Stits process...
Anthony[/QUOTE]

Is the higher weight of Solartex over Stits due only to the heat activated adhesive on the Solartex, or is the fabric itself heavier on Solartex? Discounting the paint on Solartex, as both need final finishing. Thanks, I have used Solartex, Koverall, and polyester dress liner, but not yet Stits.

Sincerely, Richard
Cub Brotherhood #187; Sig 1/4, H9 100 inch (Gen 1), GB Anniv Cub
Club Saito #635; Saito 56, 100, 120abc, 130T, 180
Kadet Brotherhood #96; Mk 1 Kadet, Kadet Junior,
Sig Kougar, Sig 1/4 Cub, Sig 1/4 Spacewalker II

WacoNut 12-09-2014 02:27 PM

Solartex is not fabric but a simulated fabric. It is a solid and it has adhesive all over the back side like monokote.

I will make a 6" square test panel and I will cut a 6" square from the material stripped from the Cub. I will spray the test panel while I spray the Cub. Once that is complete I will take the 2 pieces into work and weigh them on a precision digital scale at work. It will way them down to a fraction of an ounce. That will show which material/process is lighter. I already know which one is stronger by far.

Rv7garage 12-09-2014 05:04 PM

Can't argue with that. Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing the re-cover process :-)