RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Crash & Rebuild (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/)
-   -   Have YOU ever shot someone else down? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/1882414-have-you-ever-shot-someone-else-down.html)

Falcon Jet 06-07-2004 09:33 PM

Have YOU ever shot someone else down?

Have you ever been the cause of shooting someone else down? I have. If so, please tell your story and how you dealt with it! Let's be honest! ;)

Chris.

Mhale71 06-08-2004 02:01 AM

RE: Have YOU ever shot someone else down?

what is shooting someone down?

jack01 06-08-2004 02:28 AM

Shooting someone down is when you turn on your transmitter when someone is on the same channel, and you end up jamming the other persons radio. This tends to be reffered to as shooting someone down since it has about the same effect as putting a bullet through their radio compartment... Anyway, to answer the original question; No. I havent shot someone else down, but I did see a guy grab the wrong pin once... You can guess what happened from there. Frequency control is about the only major rule in my club other than just exercising good ole' plain common sense.

wyflyer 06-08-2004 09:45 AM

I have never shot anyone down either.

P-51B 06-08-2004 09:54 AM

Never shot anyone down, and never been shot down...knock on balsa.

MajorTomski 06-08-2004 10:22 AM

I've been witness to three shoot downs, fortunately I've never been involved in one.

First was a student vs student thing on a training night. First guy was flying and the second guy was too excited about his first flight to even think about the frequency pin or having an instructor walk him through the process. He just sat the plane down and turned on. The first flyers plane came down in a tree with quite a bit of damage. The second guy did buy the first guy a new kit of the same type. The first guy repaired the original crash and sold off the second one and kept the cash. I didn't think that was fair that the first guy actually profited from the second guys error.

Second crash was an old experienced club member who had gotten in to the habit of coming out in the middle of the day by himself and just flying, not bothering with the Freq. board since no one else was there. Well on a Federal holiday, there was someone there who did the same thing. just went flying without the freq pin. Old guy no1 shows up and goes right in his habit of just flying. Fed worker starts screaming and shouting that !QUOT!I aint got it!!!!QUOT! Plane comes crashing down in the flightline right next to Old guy no 1. Old guy no 1 paid for new model and to have the #2 guys radio checked out. They BOTH now use the freq pins all the time.

No three was very expensive. Again a relative newbie, visiting at a new field turned on with out thinking about the other fields protocols, ie no pin. The TOC competitors $1800.00 airplane went into receiver lockout and made a BIG noisy hole near the edge of the flying field. Newbie paid the TOC guy for new airplane, engine and receiver. Over $2K.

That's all folks.

DualdudE 06-08-2004 10:27 AM

Nope :) When i turn on my transmitter i take a look around in the air to see if all is going well. We use frequency clips on the transmitter, but just to be sure i also take a look :)

HK_Shooter 06-08-2004 10:29 AM

Haven't shot anyone down nor ever been shot down.

Danny

daveopam 06-08-2004 10:41 AM

I was at a fly-in a few weeks ago and my buddy from the host club shot someone down. When he turned his heli on it was jittering and he said he should have thought about what was happening. They use FREQ control but don't impound radios. It's just one of those things that can happen. Anyway he shot down a big Cub with a gasser. He just asked the guy what it would take to make things right. The guy said $1500. He wrote him a check and got a crashed plane with about $600. worth of parts.
I have been lucky enough not to do this but I got to say. My friend is a better man than me. I always thought the protocal was to pay for the kit. I think he went above and beyond giving the guy what he asked for. No questions asked. I doubt, if it had been reversed, my friend would have got a check for his gas powered heli.
What do you guys think? Is there an unwritten protocal? What would you do in the same spot?

David

Jet Doctor 06-08-2004 10:41 AM

Hi

Our club rules clearly state that you are responsible for costs of the person that you have "shot down". We have had 2 such incidents and both times the "guilty" party has had to pay up. The second case was not very easy as the costs were too high for him to compensate but a compromise was reached. I have made a mistake in using the wrong "peg/pin" but was lucky to be unaffected. In that case I would be responsible for the losses! At any event we make use of a transmitter pound and keep all transmitters unless the pilot is in possesion of the "Peg/pin"

Zane

erbroens 06-08-2004 01:56 PM

I am a avid r/c flyer for many years , and saw very responsible modelers shoot down other planes, or came close to it (happened with myself) at last once . So, I guess that we can never say "he is stupid for doing this or that" because life sometimes make us eat our own words.

Regards, Enrique

JohnVH 06-08-2004 02:39 PM

I never have.. Im pretty careful about that. Dont want to buy someone else a new plane when I want one!

ifixairplanes 06-08-2004 02:50 PM

nope never been done to me or by me. Our club has a rule though, because some guys fly expensive planes and helis that run $1000+, sometimes a person may not be able to afford to buy the person a new one, so my club says if crash that guys plane, you are only responsible for i think $300 (if you shoot that person down), but to fly at my club, you have to agree to only be compensated for $300 if your aircraft gets shot down. If you dont agree to that, then you dont fly with us, there are other clubs.

sean

Falcon Jet 06-08-2004 03:04 PM

Well, since I started this thread, I guess it's my turn to tell my story. Relative newbie at the time, went out to the field and waited for my Instructor to show up. After a 20-30 minute wait, decided to get ahead of the game so that by the time he showed up, the plane would be ready to go. Checked the freq board, saw my channel was open (nobody was flying at that time), so I got my plane out, put the wings on, fueled it, etc, and was getting it ready. While I was doing this someone took off, never gave it a second thought. Then when I turned my transmitter on and started doing a range check, I heard some commotion at the other end of the field. I remember thinking "poor guy, he just lost his plane". Then it suddenly hit me with a sickening reality. I ran back to the freq board, and sure enough, he had his card on my frequency. I readily admitted to him that I was the one who shot him down and paid for his plane. Luckily it was an ARF, so he didn't have that much time "building" it compared to a kit. Whether it was an ARF or a kit, I still felt horrible about it. I knew better and should of covered my freq when I saw it open, but the fact that no one was flying at the time gave me a false sense of security! Now I make it a POINT to cover my freq before I even get my plane out! When I'm at uncontrolled "fields", I also make it a point to talk to the other flyers to find out their frequencies beforehand. Very expensive lesson at someone else's expense.

Anyway, that's what happened. We are all human and make dumb mistakes sometimes, that was one of mine.

Chris.

Spdrmnky 06-08-2004 03:50 PM

never shot anyone down and never got shot down...

hattend 06-08-2004 05:01 PM

Back in the 70's I was flying gliders all by myself or with other glider guiders for a long time.

One day i decided to go to my clubs flying field. I went through my normal routine, start the little TeeDee, turn on the glider and turn on the transmitter and then toss the glider. About that time I hear a cuss word and "I ain't got it" and other things like that and hear a plane go in. The guy who was instructing the power guy was also the guy who taught me to fly and the first thing he did was come over and ask what freq I was on. Yep, same one.

So Dusty (the instructor) told the student to turn his radio off so he didn't shoot me down. Well, I got down as fast as I could, went over to talk to the guy. Dusty had alreadt calmed him down and I told the guy I would buy him another kit and Dusty volunteered to build it for him.

Lesson learned: Don't get complacent with a routine and always, always, ALWAYS check freqs before turning on. Back in those days we didn't have a frequency board, but nowadays I still do a walk down the flightline before first flight to see who I may have a conflict with.

Don

AstroMan 06-08-2004 05:39 PM

I've never shot anyone down, (knock on wood), but I have been shot down. A year or so ago I was at the local field and had to wait about an hour for a guy to finish with the frequency. I don't know why he refused to take his card off the board even when he wasn't flying, but oh well. Anyway when the frequency became available I went flying and about 8 seconds after takeoff my pattern ship does 3 snap rolls into the ground. Now I had never been shot down before and instead of asking around I immediately walked to the crash site. On the way there it hit me as to what happened so I turned around to see the guy jump in his car and tear out of the lot. I'm sure he turned on his transmitter to check something while loading his plane. Interestingly, he hasn't been seen at the field since. I didn't pursue any action.

Russmall 06-08-2004 06:08 PM

Yes, I shot down a guy but it wasn't my fault. I was at the field getting ready to fly and my card was in the frequency box in the number 36 slot. While I was fueling up, another guy shows up and told his kid (about 10 years old) to put his card in the frequency box on number 36. The kid took my card out and put his dad's card in it's place. I didn't know any of this was going on. So the Dad started flying and in less than a minute, I turned my transmitter on and it shot him down. The guy was really mad and when I figured out what had happened, I explained it to him and he agreed that it wasn't my fault but he was still mad at the kid..........RS

Falcon Jet 06-08-2004 06:13 PM

So much for being honest! On a side note, I've often wondered if there where any devious individuals who purposedly turned their transmitters on WHILE they were driving out trying to get "even" with someone who they had a run-in with. I would sincerely hope that never happens. Sounds like this guy knew immediately what happened and did an immediate "exit, stage right". Something like that is hard to prove though, but circumstantial evidence say's otherwise!

Chris.

MikeMc 06-08-2004 06:27 PM

Hmmm, I think somebody is not telling the truth. Why would you post just to say you didn't do it unless you're guilty of doing it. If you really haven't you wouldn't post. For me? I've done it a couple times. When I was an evil bad teenager we did it on purpose. We'd drive by the local non-club place and turn on our radios and then leave all our stuff in the car and walk up to see if anything happened. Once the guys plane ended up on a building roof and he was old so he couldn't climb well enough to get it down. The good kids we were we climbed up there and got it for him. That was the last time because the guy was pretty nice and we grew a consience that day.

That was like 20 years ago and I'm sure you all were perfect inocent teenagers. [:'(]

Falcon Jet 06-08-2004 06:34 PM

Definately cannot blame you on that one Russmall, and really can't blame the kid, he did just exactly what his Dad told him to. I blame the Dad on that one. At least he realized that and didn't blame you!!!!

Chris.

evan-RCU 06-08-2004 08:46 PM

Yep, showed up to the field with two airplanes and two transmitters. One on 36 and one on 13. There was no one on 13 but one other pilot on 36, I let him know that I was also on 36 and that he could keep the pin if he liked until I was ready to fly that airplane. I flew the plane on 13 first. Confused, I pinned 36 when I flew the one on 13. I was lucky that time and after a while I was ready to fly the plane on 36 and still confused I pinned 13 and went out to fly, well the other person pinned 36 and took off while I was flying and after a few minutes he lost control and crashed. I was luckily flying close in and didn't crash my plane. After many appologies we came to an agrement on a replacement. He said he was happy with the outcome and has since moved out of the area. It still bothers me that I did it as I know better and have been doing this hobby for many many years. I don't really know if I was truely forgiven, but I hope so.

Blackie 06-09-2004 11:11 AM

I'll start off by telling what kind of frequency board we use. In order for anyone to fly they must have the frequency in hand or in possession, the club membership card/AMA card goes in the spot where the pin was pulled.

I myself have never shot anyone down, and I am reluctant to say this but I did after a day of flying turn on without the pin, At the end of a long hot tiring day, I had alreay put the pin in its holder and pulled my card, well after the long walk back to my pit area, I needed to run fuel out of motor and oil it (spaced before turning pin in). Well I knew I didn't have the pin as I had just got back from putting it up and did not want to make the walk back so I looked down pit role and noticed no persons working on planes nore any planes in the air and all I needed was just a few seconds for throttle adjustment.

It was a quick on and off noone was hurt and no planes were enjured, I also am not in the habit for doing this.

Blackie

Kaoma 06-09-2004 01:06 PM

Never by me, but here is a story:

-A while ago a friend of mine flying at a Maricopa field was always harrassed by an older guy for all kinds of trivial things including "your color scheme is not visible enough and you not going to fly today when I'm here...". One day the older guy "dropped" his engine starter on my friend's wing shattering the right side. That was enough for his next action...Got the pin number of the idiot's Tx and bought a crystal for that freq. on his Tx. A few days later when the idiot was flying his "prize" plane, my friend parked on the North side on the field at about 1/2-3/4 mi. away and when the older guy started to fly his show-off patern, my friend just took over the freq. and put his plane nose in from about 200ft. I was there and the "Kodak moment" was super.
After that he changed the crystal back (original) and came to the field.
The interesting past was than nobody offered to help the older guy to recover the bits and pieces of his plane....looks like he pissed-off a lot of people...

hattend 06-09-2004 01:16 PM

-A while ago a friend of mine flying at a Maricopa field was always harrassed by an older guy for all kinds of trivial things including "your color scheme is not visible enough and you not going to fly today when I'm here...". One day the older guy "dropped" his engine starter on my friend's wing shattering the right side. That was enough for his next action...Got the pin number of the idiot's Tx and bought a crystal for that freq. on his Tx. A few days later when the idiot was flying his "prize" plane, my friend parked on the North side on the field at about 1/2-3/4 mi. away and when the older guy started to fly his show-off patern, my friend just took over the freq. and put his plane nose in from about 200ft. I was there and the "Kodak moment" was super.
After that he changed the crystal back (original) and came to the field.
The interesting past was than nobody offered to help the older guy to recover the bits and pieces of his plane....looks like he pissed-off a lot of people...
In my younger days, I would have probably done the same thing...or punched a hole in the jerk's wing, by "accident" of course.

Don