RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Crash & Rebuild (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/)
-   -   Mid-air Avistar vs. Ryan STA (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/1962898-mid-air-avistar-vs-ryan-sta.html)

AQ500 07-05-2004 04:08 PM

Mid-air Avistar vs. Ryan STA

1 Attachment(s)
I didn't have my camera at the field, but here is the result to my Avistar after a mid-air with a Ryan STA. They hit almost head on. I feel kind of bad because that Ryan was such a good looking plane. He probably will be able to rebuild because his fuselage was not badly damaged. We both lost good portions of our wings and my elevator was ripped off. I lawndarted in from about 200 feet and destroyed my front end. Note the clean cut on the leading edge of the wing. The flying wires on the part of his wing that broke got tangled up with my plane and was flound at the crash site.

Nanuk 07-05-2004 05:25 PM

RE: Mid-air Avistar vs. Ryan STA

Ouch that looks painful.

Nanuk

wyflyer 07-05-2004 07:59 PM

That's almost the same thing that happened to my Airvista (RIP for several years). My friend basically chopped my wing off and I lawn darted in from about 200 or 300 feet. That was so disappointing.:(

zetor 07-05-2004 08:07 PM

A little wood filler and a heat gun and you are good to go.

AQ500 07-05-2004 08:18 PM

One of the bad things about it was that I had a father of a friend on the buddy box at the time. He just retired and was thinking about getting back into flying. He looked a little shooken up and I'm not sure if he will want to get back into the sport. The closing speed was so fast that I didn't see the other plane coming until it was too late. We were out about 600 feet and up about 200 feet. What are the chances..........

Slighty used Avistar for sale. Most of the parts are included as well as a large bottle of CA.

AQ500 07-05-2004 08:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ahhhhhh the memories.......................................... .............

Jimmbbo 07-05-2004 08:56 PM

Sorry for the disaster :(

Glad you have a sense of humor [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif] 'cuz "Stuff happens!"

Looks like the "big sky" theory of aircraft separation may need some revision..

Jim

a65l 07-06-2004 03:23 PM

Avistars don't seem to come off very well in midairs. I tangled with a Dazzle a while ago and it stayed flying while the Avistar assumed the lawn dart attitude. It came to rest in some mud, and the tail wound up sticking up in the air for a while... just like you'd see in a cartoon.

Andy

AQ500 07-12-2004 12:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
She's back!!!!!!

A little bit of CA and wood filler did the trick. The CA and wood filler cost me about $100 and were 90% assembled.

The maiden voyage should be tommorrow after work.

I think I might leave my camera at home for good luck.