RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Crash & Rebuild (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/)
-   -   Almost hit with half of a prop while flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/2414510-almost-hit-half-prop-while-flying.html)

SukhoiKid 12-08-2004 06:05 PM

Almost hit with half of a prop while flying

One day I was flying my airplane on one side of the field and this airplane comes flying by the field over the runway and crashes on the other side from where I was standing. I heard it hit and I was flying my plane high and then I heard some air pass right by my ear. I landed really quick and look to the left of me and I saw a half of a prop. That guy crashed soooo hard far away from me that half of the prop broke off and almost hit me. I believe if it would have hit me in the face or throat it would have done some serious damage to me. It was inches away from my ear. I was kind of scared that day.

cwrr5 12-08-2004 06:07 PM

RE: Almost hit with half of a prop while flying

Yikes! Must have been a doozy to throw a prop that far. Glad everybody's ok. ;)

Geistware 12-08-2004 06:20 PM

Kevin,
I have shattered a 20 inch APC propeller and had if fly right past a woman and her kid that was walking in the pit area.
It doesn't take much to have a serious accident happen.

SukhoiKid 12-08-2004 06:29 PM

I would say it was at least 50 yards away

SukhoiKid 12-08-2004 07:09 PM

I think this was also a APC Prop that did this.

Fletch124 12-08-2004 07:35 PM

wow scarey!!!! I really don't want to say this but i think were comin onto a problem with large APC props!!!

SukhoiKid 12-08-2004 08:46 PM

Well this was like a 11x5 I think. I know they did away with the bigger ones a while back.

vicman 12-09-2004 10:07 PM

All this worry from a guy that likes to hover a foamy in front of his face???[:-]

Sukhoi_Madness 12-10-2004 02:11 AM

ALWAYS wear Sunglasses...

A big slash in your face will heal, and look kinda cool ;)

But your eyes will not...

[8D]

3D-kid330 12-10-2004 09:54 PM

Wow.[X(]

There was a Saito 120 powered bird making a low pass when the prop broke in two, and wedged itself in my dads pocket.

Could have been dangerous, but it was kinda funny. lol:D

antslake 12-11-2004 07:38 AM

I think most of the energy from the prop is lost when it traveled that far, so I don't think it would cut your neck off, or anything that gouging, but it could poke your eye out.

Bosshossv8 12-11-2004 11:58 AM

I always check my APC props , I run 17x6 IMAC on a YS 1.10 among others. After a hard landing that kills the motor , but not the prop, I always look real close to see any fissures or stretch marks around the hub. THese APC props can be a real hazard if compromsed.

I am sorry I even read this post....it makes me shudder.