RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Crash & Rebuild (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/)
-   -   My dad always told me (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/3089027-my-dad-always-told-me.html)

bubbagates 06-19-2005 04:44 PM

My dad always told me

1 Attachment(s)
Well, My father always told me that if I was gonna do something to make sure I do it correctly

Would you say I destroyed this Cap correctly? I thought I did but there are some big pieces left. This was a Cap232-120 from Kangke with a Roto35Vi. Pilot error all the way. Was about 50 foot off the deck and very slightly climbing, just gaining airspeed and decided to go into a tumble. so I added full right rudder, full down elvator, the tail came up into the veritcal and stopped. I jumped off the rudder and elevator to get airspeed back and as soon as I went to give it elevator again, it snapped because I got really stupid and gave it too much, I got the rotation stopped just long enough to get it pointed right at the ground and in she went, full throttle...:eek:

So now I have a Roto35Vi that will turn a 20X8 prop at 6600 and I need suggestions for a new home for it, Aerobatic is a must, 3D would be nice but not required and any and all suggestions will help. BTW this was the fourth flight of the day and about the 25th for the plane and the pilot (me) got too cockey so as I said, completely pilot error. We are in the process of stripping it so I need to test the electronics yet. The engine looks OK but I'm sending it to have it looked at but the ignition box has a huge dent in it. The servos are Hitech 5945's I do hope they survived

Before and after pics

emailbanter 06-19-2005 05:01 PM

RE: My dad always told me

Wise move on your part to take a picture before a maiden flight which is something I always do as once in a while, they just don't fly. It's been a long time since I crashed something (now it's going to happen for sure) but I always take a couple of photos on a plane I haven't yet flown just for memories sake in case things go South.

Flyboy Dave 06-19-2005 05:12 PM

bubbagates
Would you say I destroyed this Cap correctly.
Yes....I would say it was a good job....indeed. :eek:

FBD. :D

RC-Captain 06-19-2005 07:17 PM

I guess the bad air traveled from Jersey to PA. I crashed my baby modeltech extra 300 today , and all do to dumb thumbs. No offense but you made my day posting your crash. Although I have rebuilt mine 3 times maybe going for a 4th time, todays crash didn't even phase me I picked up the pieces and threw some servos into my converted flat winged trainer and took off to the sky.

Sorry for the loss, I hope the next one will bring you better days. ;)

RCF esq.

bubbagates 06-19-2005 07:26 PM

Thanks everyone.

Beleive it or not it didn't hurt all that much. After we picked up all the little pieces I sat down for about 10 minutes, got up and maidened my CG Sukhoi with a YS140 Sport in it...

Although it was allot of money there is no use getting really upset since the blame squarely falls to me. I yelled at my thumbs for 5 minutes of the ten minutes I sat down. They just curled up and tried to hide :D

I have already checked the electronics and all seems fine but I am sending the engine into RCShowcase to have a look since the ignition box was bent pretty bad. Engine has compression but the spinner was fairly crushed on one side and one blade of the prop was fairly destroyed and the other blade was split right down the middle of the blade from what was left of the tip all the way to the hub. The best I can tell is the plane went fairly straight in vertically but since it was over a dropoff I could not see the impact, probably better that way anyway as the sound was rather a loud thump [X(]

BTW, I wasn't the only one to lose a plane today and there were allot of close calls at the field but I got the award for the most amount of pieces coming off the plane :D

cwrr5 06-19-2005 08:03 PM

Gentlemen, I believe we have a candidate for a score of 10.... (depending on electronics check&motor) :D

Dang... sure did look nice before though...

bubbagates 06-19-2005 08:09 PM

ORIGINAL: cwrr5

Gentlemen, I believe we have a candidate for a score of 10.... (depending on electronics check&motor) :D

Dang... sure did look nice before though...
Electronics check out fine, Engine will be going to RCShowcase tomorrow, I did leave some big pieces but I appreciate the 10 though so I'll say a 9 maybe a 9.5

It sure did fly as good as it looked. Thing would tumble and tumble and tumble but as you see I tried to tumble it once to many times with too little airspeed :eek: My thumbs are still trying to hide from me which makes typing really hard to do :D

acam37 06-19-2005 10:08 PM

So now I have a Roto35Vi that will turn a 20X8 prop at 6600 and I need suggestions for a new home for it, Aerobatic is a must, 3D would be nice but not required and any and all suggestions will help.
Have you ever flown an ultimate bipe? I bought a used Direct Connection ultimate a few months back and it is the best plane I have ever flown. It will do anything you can throw at it. It is one of those planes that is way beyond my skill level but it flies as gentle as a trainer also.I love it.

campbec 06-19-2005 10:21 PM

Hi Bill,

I don't know if your dad would be proud but you certainly were thorough!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the prang it was a great looking model.

Cheers,

Colin

funflyphil 06-19-2005 10:43 PM

the bad air went from ohio, through PA, into NJ.........

RC-Captain 06-19-2005 10:56 PM

:) well If I got it last then that explains why I lost orientation on a simple ROG turn around maneuver. ;)

burndred 06-20-2005 05:02 AM

hey ,, sorry to see a good lookin plane like that go down , are you gonna rebuild her? it doesnt look so bad really , under all the solar film tatters..

get it put back together

Rick

bubbagates 06-20-2005 06:30 AM

ORIGINAL: acam37

So now I have a Roto35Vi that will turn a 20X8 prop at 6600 and I need suggestions for a new home for it, Aerobatic is a must, 3D would be nice but not required and any and all suggestions will help.
Have you ever flown an ultimate bipe? I bought a used Direct Connection ultimate a few months back and it is the best plane I have ever flown. It will do anything you can throw at it. It is one of those planes that is way beyond my skill level but it flies as gentle as a trainer also.I love it.

Acam,

Yep, love the Ultimate series. I had a Carl Goldberg last year with a YS110 in it and I have a new still in the box Wildhare Ultimate. Now all I need is a DA50 for it

Ultimates just love to flat spin and tumble and anything that calls for the Ultimate to rotate around the pitch/yaw axis just get more violent the longer you let it go [X(]

bubbagates 06-20-2005 06:35 AM

ORIGINAL: burndred

hey ,, sorry to see a good lookin plane like that go down , are you gonna rebuild her? it doesnt look so bad really , under all the solar film tatters..

get it put back together

Rick

Rick,

Normally I would rebuild but this one was to far gone. Way too many little pieces for my liking. Besides it's already stripped and in the trash can.

Don't worry, I got right back into the air 10 minutes later and did a maiden on my 2nd CG Sukhoi using a YS140 Sport. I have another using a G26 gas from RCINGTIONS. Guess I was just a gluton for punishment :D

sir-crash-alot 06-20-2005 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hey man looks like mike dooley with had two rotos to fix. i crashed my ege this weekend. my suggestion is a wildhare edge540 or a yak!

this is my powerlinehobbies.com edge540

bubbagates 06-20-2005 10:42 AM

ORIGINAL: sir-crash-alot

hey man looks like mike dooley with had two rotos to fix. i crashed my ege this weekend. my suggestion is a wildhare edge540 or a yak!

this is my powerlinehobbies.com edge540

Yep. I just got the RMA from him a little bit ago. Is that the Edge you had the Roto in? Nice looking plane I thought of the WH Edge but thought it would be a little lacking

Live Wire 06-20-2005 11:00 AM

Bubba
Should have put it on P I F :eek: first class crash[&o] To bad it happens to all of us but never let on that it doen't bother you.

bubbagates 06-20-2005 11:26 AM

ORIGINAL: RC Hawk

Bubba
Should have put it on P I F :eek: first class crash[&o] To bad it happens to all of us but never let on that it doen't bother you.
Hawk, I didn't think of that. Any thoughts on how to list it:D

It did bother me to a degree. But since I'm the one that got stupid what really bothered me the most was not listening to my instincts when they told me that I was not in the proper position to attempt the tumble.

Colin

I don't know if your dad would be proud but you certainly were thorough!!!!!!!!!!!
Believe it or not he was sitting there when I did it, nah he wasn't proud and even offered to replace it for me. He's the one that made the joke about doing it correctly and pointed out that there was some big pieces left. It was all in fun and his way to help me feel better. Don't ya hate it when your 80 yr old father is correct :D and can still humble his 45 yr old son.:eek:

no problem on the prang...I do have a sense of humor about it. It's done and there is nothing I can do about it except fly again which is exactly what I did. Shook like I was on my first solo, but I went right back up. 2 flights later I finally settled down

Live Wire 06-20-2005 01:44 PM

Remenents of well used aircraft. Local pick up please:D
I had a P 51 fly away last year and when we found the crash we never found all the parts just anough to no it was my plane[:o] as they say never fall in love with your plane, just like a wife it can leave any time;)

bubbagates 06-20-2005 01:52 PM

ORIGINAL: RC Hawk

Remenents of well used aircraft. Local pick up please:D
I had a P 51 fly away last year and when we found the crash we never found all the parts just anough to no it was my plane[:o] as they say never fall in love with your plane, just like a wife it can leave any time;)
LMAO :D:D:D

cwrr5 06-20-2005 02:20 PM

Too true! lol also! :D

love those warbirds 06-20-2005 02:40 PM

Funny posts. Getting back to the first post, I could of had that plane fit in a plastic shopping bag the way I crash. If you'll know what I mean lol.;)

bruce88123 06-21-2005 01:43 PM

Gosh Bubba, maybe a little more time with a trainer and this wouldn't have happened. What ya think? :D

bubbagates 06-21-2005 02:21 PM

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

Gosh Bubba, maybe a little more time with a trainer and this wouldn't have happened. What ya think? :D
What trainer would you suggest. I'm thinking of a Wildhare Ultimate with a DA-50 in it. Wouldn't doing the maiden on my new CG Sukhoi several minutes later count as a solo though or just suicidal. Everyone actually thought I was nuts for flying so soon afterwards but I knew what I did so why not.

Funny posts. Getting back to the first post, I could of had that plane fit in a plastic shopping bag the way I crash. If you'll know what I mean lol.
Actually after it was stripped of what was left, there wasn't a piece of wood that wasn't broken to some degree. With my 80 yr old Dad helping we pulled all of the covering off. Trust me a 55 gallon trash bag would have been more than enough :D The amazing thing the landing gear had a slight twist in it and the wheel pants were still attached pretty well and were not broken, just the epoxy for the wood mounts popped.

By no means am I proud of it, but as I said before, I screwed up, so laughing it off and getting a the little ribbing in here and from Dad is actually very theraputic.

I will be on and off over the next few days so keep it coming, I'll need the laugh :D

cwrr5 06-21-2005 02:46 PM

That's the best way to recover from a crash... laugh all the way to the hobby shop. ;) Well, that's what I do anyway, and everyone knows for sure I'm nuts... :D