RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Crash & Rebuild (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/)
-   -   Z p-38 Crash (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/3412537-z-p-38-crash.html)

flydoc 10-01-2005 05:21 PM

Z p-38 Crash

I'm very sorry to report that my P-38 was totaled today. I built it from one of the first sets of plans Nick shipped. I spent two years building it, and it first flew in 1998. I've had many wonderful flights since then, and as with all planes, it was only a matter of time until this happened, but that dosen't make it any easier to accept.
What happened was what causes most P-38 (or any twin engined model for that matter) crashes: I lost an engine unexpectedly, at the worst possible time. Well OK, I guess the worst time is right after takeoff. But this was almost as bad. During a high speed low pass, at about 3/4 the legnth of the runway I noticed the first signs of a less than happy engine. It's my policy to immediatley throttle back both engines in such a situation, and did so. But that left me with few options: If I flew straight ahead, the plane would not be able to land before running into trees at the end of the field, so I couldn't do that. My only option was to try to make a 195 degree turn to try to land in an open area of the field. But I didn't have the altitude or speed to do that. So I gingerly added a bit of power to see if the sick engine would come back at least enough to get me back to the field. And at first it seemed that it would. So I initiated a left turn to set up for an emergency landing. About half way through the turn, the sick engine gave up the ghost, but by the time I realized it, the plane was too slow, and the asseymetric thrust did what it always does, and the plane snapped and went in from about 50 feet. It wasn't pretty. It made a big sound as it hit amongst the trees.
My P-38 is now in many, many pieces, which are still in my van, as I just can't bring myself to unload it just now. Maybe tomorrow.

Live Wire 10-01-2005 07:02 PM

RE: Z p-38 Crash

flydoc
I know where you are at my 30 year old Royal P51 went in and it hurts. All you can do is look for a new kit and start over[&o]

jetmech05 10-04-2005 03:57 AM

one of the rules of full scale flying is never ever turn into a dead or bad engine. you say you made a left turn was the left engine your problem engine? live and learn.
no i dont fly rc twins but i was a crew chief on recip twins in the military
good luck sorry for your loss make a new one better

sprintdawg007 10-04-2005 06:36 AM

flydoc- sorry for your loss. I see that you're in Fairfax Station, where do you fly? I've been trying to find a good-sized field around here.
Thanks,
SD007

shag555 10-04-2005 12:11 PM

Sorry to hear that... I'm looking to build this plane this winter and hope you'll share some of your experiences. Did you pick up the short kit or have a kit cutter burn one for you? Did you work on this continuously, or was it off/on type build? I only ask because I'd like to complete it through the winter.

Thanks so much and good luck in the future. If it's any worth, I just talked with a plan cutter and they had this kit in stock. I can wait till ~ middle of December.

MPB

flydoc 10-04-2005 02:11 PM

one of the rules of full scale flying is never ever turn into a dead or bad engine. you say you made a left turn was the left engine your problem engine? live and learn.
no i dont fly rc twins but i was a crew chief on recip twins in the military
good luck sorry for your loss make a new one better

Jetmech,

It was the right engine that went south. Not that it would have made a difference, as the position of the plane in relation to the field mandated a left turn regardless.

flydoc- sorry for your loss. I see that you're in Fairfax Station, where do you fly? I've been trying to find a good-sized field around here.

Spirit,

I generally fly my large multiengine planes at the PGRC field in Maryland. The local NVRC field is too small to comfortably accomodate them.

Sorry to hear that... I'm looking to build this plane this winter and hope you'll share some of your experiences. Did you pick up the short kit or have a kit cutter burn one for you? Did you work on this continuously, or was it off/on type build? I only ask because I'd like to complete it through the winter.

Shag,

I cut my own parts for all my planes. The Z P-38 is a fairly big project, and it took me about 1 year of weekends and occaisional evenings to complete it. Good luck with yours, and feel free to ask if you have any questions regarding building it.

ramcfarland 10-04-2005 08:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a short movie clip of your excellent P-38s take off and turn down wind: the sound is aw some- a fantastic air plane-- How great it was for all us avaition buffs to see and hear........ WELL DONE

flydoc 10-05-2005 08:35 AM

Richard,

Is there any way I could see or get a copy of the clip?

ramcfarland 10-05-2005 11:07 AM

Please PM your address and the cd is in the mail to you.

Regards,
Richard Mcfarland AMA52920

Siefring 10-05-2005 05:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Howard,

Here are a couple of photos I took at the fly-in. We all felt sad at the loss of such a beautiful a model. Most of us only dream of building such things!

Carl

Metalmorphous 09-23-2008 03:20 PM

Flydoc- I am very very sorry to here this. It was your beautiful P-38 that has inspired me to build Nick Lightning and I have many of your pictures of your P-38 on file and I have been using them to help me during my build. I know you will be building another one and I look forward to reading about it.

Ron Randall

Mr67Stang 09-23-2008 03:28 PM

You know this crash was almost 3 years ago... right? Maybey he's already built another one:D

flydoc 09-23-2008 03:30 PM

Ron,

Thanks for the kind words. I did build another one (see this thread: http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...?TID=5206&PN=1 ) Its up and flying now. Good luck with yours.

Howard

Metalmorphous 09-23-2008 03:50 PM

Ok maybe I should start looking at the date the thread have been started:D

Glad to here you have another one[8D]