RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Crash & Rebuild (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/)
-   -   Worst Thing You've Ever Crashed? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/5605541-worst-thing-youve-ever-crashed.html)

stinger40 03-23-2007 01:25 PM

Worst Thing You've Ever Crashed?

Fess up. What is the most expensive airplane you've ever crashed? Pics if possible, and some video wouldn't hurt. ;)

For me, it's a H9 Extra 330S. Lost the radio signal. :(:(:(:( Man, I miss that plane. [:o]

warhwk 03-23-2007 01:30 PM

RE: Worst Thing You've Ever Crashed?

Oooh, you gonna dig up some bad memories! For me it was an EZ "Dallas Doll" P-51 I spent 6 months detailing. RC sliding Canopy, inner gear doors that shut after the Mains, hand Painted Checkerboard, fully detailed cockpit, etc.

On the third flight, I hit the "Snap Roll" switch instead of the Gear switch 3' off of the ground. WAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

stinger40 03-23-2007 01:34 PM

ORIGINAL: warhwk

Oooh, you gonna dig up some bad memories! For me it was an EZ "Dallas Doll" P-51 I spent 6 months detailing. RC sliding Canopy, inner gear doors that shut after the Mains, hand Painted Checkerboard, fully detailed cockpit, etc.

On the third flight, I hit the "Snap Roll" switch instead of the Gear switch 3' off of the ground. WAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

OOOOoooooooo............ ouch. [:o]

Sessholvlaru 03-23-2007 01:59 PM

Darn, that P-51 sounded bad....sorry for that loss. Why did you have the snap roll switch engaged on a P-51?? I personally have not had any serious crashes on bigger dollar planes in my 8 or 9 years of flying....but then again I am only 23 and still in college.....and broke....

Robby 03-23-2007 02:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am now 50+ yrs old...
Been doing this since I was a <small> child...
I have never crashed a plane other than prop strikes , occasional pop off landing gear..

Last year was two first for me...
I put a H9 Ultimate thru a tree while practicing for a show the following week..
then in Sept I buried <obliderated> a Twinstar in a cornfield...

Robby

KC36330 03-23-2007 02:09 PM

the title was worst Thing then in the post it was changed to Airplane but I've been fortunate to not have lost an airplane that was very expensive in the 18+ yrs I've been flying, i did however have a canopy pop off a 60 size X-cell heli during fast backward flight and it hit the blades hard enough it broke one of them and it proceeded to beat its self to death at about 300' AGL, absolutely nothing was salvageable, the one blade that was left folded and chopped all the radio compartment to tiny bits and pieces spreading parts all over the runway which is 1500' in length. the engine went WOT when the servo/linkage was cut into and slung the rod through the crankcase but not before the gazillion RPM destroyed the clutch and clutch bell, tuned pipe was flattened on impact with the concrete. total loss of over $4 grand

the sad part is i also had a 50 size heli do the same thing (while pushing a hard outside loop during fast backward flight) less then a year ago. pics of it were posted in the heli forum back when it happened, not the best pics as the only cam i had was a cell phone. on the 50 i did manage to salvage the engine with only minimal damage to the cooling fins so it wasn't a complete loss :)

FWIW the 50 had the canopy secured to the front strut with a screw which was supposedly to prevent that from happening.

kc

reincarnate 03-23-2007 02:43 PM

What a superb description of a spectacular, albeit sad event. Sorry for your loss, however I bet it was amazing for the spectators!

n8kny 03-23-2007 03:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my first plane after my trainer. 1 year of experience and after after some inverted flight practice! About $50 laster its back in the air!!!!:D

KC36330 03-23-2007 03:39 PM

ORIGINAL: reincarnate

....... however I bet it was amazing for the spectators!
on the Raptor 50 a flying buddy who I've never heard curse said in amazement 'Holly F'in S#^%' as it was doing the 'Chicken Dance' at altitude.

kc

EDIT: link to the thread with the Raptor 50 pics

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_45...tm.htm#4532188

stinger40 03-23-2007 03:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Robby

I am now 50+ yrs old...
Been doing this since I was a <small> child...
I have never crashed a plane other than prop strikes , occasional pop off landing gear..

Last year was two first for me...
I put a H9 Ultimate thru a tree while practicing for a show the following week..
then in Sept I buried <obliderated> a Twinstar in a cornfield...

Robby

OWIE!!!!!! A H9 Ultimate? That's hard, man. I saw a guy at my field bury a 40% Extra on the 3rd flight. Too much speed and the elevator gave way. What caused your Ultimate's untimely demise?

oldhippy1 03-23-2007 03:44 PM

I lost/crashed a new Sky Raider Scale plane with retracts all balsa painted
olive and gray. a beautiful model crashed the day before a scale event at our field.
The cause was bad batteries. Boy did that hurt for weeks. All those hours of building.
Well it goes with the hobby if your not extra careful.

Robby 03-23-2007 04:11 PM

Its called,,, Not Payin' Attention...... Dummy me !!

Was just having a relaxed moment,, admiring the plane and it flying,,
not paying attention to where I was.. Did downline,, pulled to level,,
right smack dab into a tree.. No way out.. Stripp'd the wings off and
the tail off and fuse went a ways further.. Least it landed in soft grass
so saved most of the stuff in it...

OWIE!!!!!! A H9 Ultimate? That's hard, man. I saw a guy at my field bury a 40% Extra on the 3rd flight. Too much speed and the elevator gave way. What caused your Ultimate's untimely demise?

iron eagel 03-23-2007 04:21 PM

My wifes plane!

daveopam 03-23-2007 06:34 PM

I stuffed a 8' span 1950 Fleet Bipe. Worst part was I was test flying it. It belonged to another club member. To this day we still don't know why it went in. It took off fine and made 5 passes with no problem. I was flying about 200' up at 1/2 power. The plane started to go right. I corrected with aile but the right turn got stronger until I had full left in it. Unable to level the wings I added a touch of rudder. It snapped hard and started going in. I pushed it out doing half an outside loop from inverted. At this point I cut the power back to 1/4 and started flying it toward the landing area. It flew straight and level for about 2 seconds and started the same process. This time I tried rudder only. As soon as I touched the rudder it snapped. Again it was inverted at about a 45 degree down angle. I was able to push it out again and get it flying right. This time I cut the power to just enough to stay airborn. This might have been a mistake. As I got closer to the landing area it started again. Again it snapped inverted and this time I did not have enough alt to save it. It went straight in. This was a scratch built and fabric covered plane. The back of the fuse was 1/4" stringers. The tail kept going when the nose hit dirt and stopped. The plane was a total loss including bending the crank on the big gasser.
Looking back I should have tried a landing where it was. This was at our old site though and that would mean landing it in cotton stalks. Landing in cotton stalks is like flying through a shreader. The fabric and paint would have been gone but the balsa would have survived. The owner of the plane took it better than I did. I offered to help with the loss but he would not hear of it. I still felt 2" tall.

This was 10 years ago and Leroy past on in Jan. He gave me everything in his shop before he left. I guess this proves he had no hard feelings. I hope he has it flying again in that big RC field in the sky.

David

DCM 03-23-2007 06:56 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH0OKg5PMCk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M98KxB-vqPo [:o]

I was flying this guy. The switch went bad.

The video is split in two parts.

This is a butch Sickel video.

David Hudson

theradioflyer 03-23-2007 07:43 PM

Nice Hustler! That was a quite unique plane. I've never seen one fly before.

Sorry for the loss,

Jay

-EXTRA- 03-23-2007 07:48 PM

My lanier Extra 300L.due to On/Off switch wire getting ripped.

foodstick 03-23-2007 08:24 PM

I lost a large 3/d profile gasser on the 4th flight due to a poor solder connection on a brand new battery, I was sick.... the way the battery was mounted it was impossible to have been damaged in the crash..one wire just came off under the shrink wrap

-EXTRA- 03-23-2007 09:17 PM

i personally dont know about yall but i like my stradegy,when i crash its either bad connection or shot down :D

KC36330 03-23-2007 10:15 PM

ORIGINAL: -EXTRA-

i personally dont know about yall but i like my stradegy,when i crash its either bad connection or shot down :D
yeah I've seen hundreds of folks like you, personally I'm man enough to say when i f'd up and have no shame in it, why people want to always find something to blame other then themselves when it's blatantly obvious to everyone but them is beyond me.

kc

-EXTRA- 03-23-2007 11:39 PM

ORIGINAL: KC36330

ORIGINAL: -EXTRA-

yeah I've seen hundreds of folks like you, personally I'm man enough to say when i f'd up and have no shame in it, why people want to always find something to blame other then themselves when it's blatantly obvious to everyone but them is beyond me.

kc

hey bro,aint got to take it so serious all bout fun here i just thought it was a funny thing to say and if i know i messed up then i take blame no worries.

Wine Country Flyer 03-23-2007 11:41 PM

Well, I lost my SECOND Lanier Mariner due to a corroded battery connection. With bat. up front for balance, I had to use an extention to the receiver. And I used heat shrink tubing on it so it could not come loose. Well, it never came loose. But as anyone knows who has ever flown off the water, ya do get a little bit inside every now and then. And the heat shrink didn't keep corrosion out of the connection. Sooooooooooo-my charger was telling me that the bat was charged when it really was not. And about two minutes into it's last flight it went bonkers because of low battery power. The bad part is the mast broke off and the new OS 61 FX didn't float !! Such is the Hobby. The third one flys just great. And all connections are coated with " CORROSION X"
John

Wine Country Flyer 03-23-2007 11:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oops-Forgot the pic.
John

-EXTRA- 03-24-2007 12:24 PM

man that sux,my dad uses that corrosion X that stuff is expensive,but it works VERY VERY good..

KC36330 03-24-2007 12:52 PM

silicone grease (the clear not the white) works better then the Corrosions and is allot cheaper.

kc