RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Crash & Rebuild (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/)
-   -   Seaplane Crash Video (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/crash-rebuild-96/689723-seaplane-crash-video.html)

MidMadn 04-12-2003 03:02 AM

Seaplane Crash Video

See if you can figure out the cause of the crash in this video. :eek:

Lanier Mariner Maiden Flight

Jack

jdp8488 04-13-2003 02:50 AM

Seaplane Crash Video

Looks like it took off a little tail heavy maby, the way it jerked down going into that turn, but if you have flown it before without any problems, it could be interference maby, or your aileron clevis could have popped off or something.

Mike Marnik 04-13-2003 08:14 PM

Seaplane Crash Video

looked like the airlerons were reversed

Lightning 04-14-2003 12:28 AM

Seaplane Crash Video

Another vote for reversed airlerons. It appears to turn smoothly like it was part of the plan, then hard right into submarine mode when panic set in. I've never had this happen to me (yet), but I suspect that is how I would react.

jsonin 04-14-2003 01:29 PM

I've had a similar experience...

http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Cyberia...mer_floats.mov

In my case, the right float was filling with water during take-off. After the bird took off and had initial speed to leave the water, the plane immediately nose dived to the right. Looks familiar. So it could be that the pontoon took in a lot of water (and the additional weight made for a spectacular stall+snap) or maybe a linkage failure.

Yours,
Juhan

MidMadn 04-15-2003 01:06 AM

Seaplane Crash Video

The ailerons were reversed.

It was the first time and hopefully the last time we make that mistake. :(

Jack

AR196 04-15-2003 01:17 AM

Seaplane Crash Video

Without being able to know more or examine the victim, there are as many possibilities as there are commentators.

From the available evidence, only speculation and opinion are possible.

paul_c 04-16-2003 12:41 PM

Seaplane Crash Video

Sorry about the crash. What were you able to salvage? (Most of us have never crashed in water, so I can't imagine what might happen to the engine, fuse, etc)

MidMadn 04-17-2003 02:20 AM

Seaplane Crash Video

Originally posted by paul_c
Sorry about the crash. What were you able to salvage? (Most of us have never crashed in water, so I can't imagine what might happen to the engine, fuse, etc)
Thanks.

All that happened was the wing broke in half.

It's my brothers plane. What he did was drill the spar for a dowel and re-epoxyed it back together. It has a half dozen flights on it now without any problems.

Pandunga 04-19-2003 12:08 AM

Seaplane Crash Video

I`ll say reversed ailerons!

did you do a pre-flight inspection or just a battery check and into the air?

canuck30 04-20-2003 04:32 AM

Seaplane Crash Video

Have another look at your video. You'll see that you took off in an area on the water where it was disturbed from down drafts (sometimes called cats paws, rippled water surronded by totaly calm water).

From my float flying days of the real airplanes you make sure you don't take off in these or you'll do the same thing. When the plane entered the edge of the downdraft there was a slight updraft of air (model "jumped" into the air), as soon as you flew into the middle of it the airplane starts to slow down and stalls, followed by the downdraft pushing the plane into the water. The best way to deal with this is to stay on the water and plain (sp.), ( like putting a boat on plain (sp.)) the model through the area then lift off on the other side of the disturbed water in clean air.

nyrcpilot 05-14-2003 01:29 PM

Seaplane Crash Video

Just in case you guys did not notice.....he admits to having the ailerons reversed.........why are we still guessing?

Originally posted by MidMadn
The ailerons were reversed.

It was the first time and hopefully the last time we make that mistake. :(

Jack

IncredibleITGuy 05-21-2003 02:07 PM

darn..

I was just about to suggest my theory on Aliens.

Sorry 'bout the crash. I am looking into another seaplane to add to my collection.